New Run Fortin TS9 arrived!

BeyondBlack sent me clips of his first run Fortin TS9 vs his Fortin 808 A/Bd on one of his amps, and I immediately knew that for my needs the TS9 was the winner. Wicked grind and perfect upper mid cut. Since I'm a Mesa whore, more upper mids is always a thing for me.

For me, King is how things sound in the band mix. I haven't tried a ton of boost pedals like many of you have, however the ones I have tried nothing has kicked my Boss OD1X off the pedalboard, so I'm really looking forward to a shootout here.

Last edited:
BeyondBlack sent me clips of his first run Fortin TS9 vs his Fortin 808 A/Bd on one of his amps, and I immediately knew that for my needs the TS9 was the winner. Wicked grind and perfect upper mid cut. Since I'm a Mesa whore, more upper mids is always a thing for me.

For me, King is how things sound in the band mix. I haven't tried a ton of boost pedals like many of you have, however the ones I have tried noting has kicked my Boss OD1X off the pedalboard, so I'm really looking forward to a shootout here.
I think I sold him that TS9.

For me, King is how things sound in the band mix. I haven't tried a ton of boost pedals like many of you have, however the ones I have tried noting has kicked my Boss OD1X off the pedalboard, so I'm really looking forward to a shootout here.

ive seen a few mesa people talk about the od1 with mesa's, think i might have to try one

ive seen a few mesa people talk about the od1 with mesa's, think i might have to try one
It effin' kills in the band with every Mesa I've plugged it into. Thick tight bottom and great upper mids. All knobs at noon and go slay. There have been some boutiques I've liked better in the bedroom because they were more organic, but not in the band.

So whats the difference between the Fortin TS9 and the Fortin TS808 circuit wise? I know the between the normal TS9 and TS808 it`s only like one or two resistors. Is it the same for the Fortin models?

For me, King is how things sound in the band mix. I haven't tried a ton of boost pedals like many of you have, however the ones I have tried nothing has kicked my Boss OD1X off the pedalboard, so I'm really looking forward to a shootout here.
I had BBs TS9 for a tryout and recently received the Fortin 808. My preference is the 808; something more in the mids for me. But they are more similar than different.

There’s just a few of us that seem to like the ODX best….it’s been my #1 now for 7 years. Not VFE, Thorpy, Wizard, Airis, Protone or vintage SD can kick it off my board. Still better than either Fortin to my ears but the Fortin adds something different that I dig.

I had BBs TS9 for a tryout and recently received the Fortin 808. My preference is the 808; something more in the mids for me. But they are more similar than different.

There’s just a few of us that seem to like the ODX best….it’s been my #1 now for 7 years. Not VFE, Thorpy, Wizard, Airis, Protone or vintage SD can kick it off my board. Still better than either Fortin to my ears but the Fortin adds something different that I dig.
Agreed, both Fortin TS’s are cool (the one thing Fortin got right lol), but I kept the 808 one. Just gotta dial in the amp with less gain to compensate. When AB’ed the 808 I found to be much more punchy, aggressive/gritty and defined. The TS9 sounded washed out in comparison and softer. I think like the 72, the Fortin 808 is a beast that needs to be learned to manage well. Particularly with the BL it’s killer. The new Tamura modded TS I’m even more impressed by and has been my 2nd favorite boost I’ve been through. The OD1X I remember functionally being great the way it shaped the amps, but there was this quality to the tone itself of it that I didn’t like

Both version Fortin TS’s have the most aggressive midrange I’ve heard in a boost (more than even a Furman PQ-3). The 808 just has it even more. As someone that really really hates hollow tones this is a real good antidote to that lol

So whats the difference between the Fortin TS9 and the Fortin TS808 circuit wise? I know the between the normal TS9 and TS808 it`s only like one or two resistors. Is it the same for the Fortin models?
The TS9 is quieter, that's for sure. I found the 808 to be over the top, and hissy, even at moderate levels. To me, it's night and day.

Got mine in the mail today!!! Fired up the amp and noticed another preamp tube shit the bed hah. Just ordered a couple and now back to waiting. It's killing me, glad you like yours and now I really wanna try the flux.

The Flux is a killer
Got mine in the mail today!!! Fired up the amp and noticed another preamp tube shit the bed hah. Just ordered a couple and now back to waiting. It's killing me, glad you like yours and now I really wanna try the flux.
The Flux is killer. Its like a Spark boost, but more aggressive, and the tone knobs actually do something!

Where you located? You need some tubes? Did you order some?
Appreciate it but yes I bought a couple and just waiting for the mail.

I'm in st louis. It's just odd that this amp has had 2 pre amp tubes go out within the few weeks I've had it. I always expect to replace power tubes but rarely do I have preamp tubes die out.

I should be able to try the pedal soon though and I cant wait.

Last edited:
Finally got to try it and only have the SD1 to compare it to.

It's a great pedal, sounds awesome and better than the SD1. BUT the differences are very small. Splitting hairs as always.

I havent spent time to see if I can tweak the amp/pedal to match and I haven't blasted it loud yet but the Fortin has a tighter and better feel and just a slightly different eq somewhere on the low side that is more pleasing to me.

I definitely like the Fortin better than the SD1 but for the price tag idk, it wasnt a holy grail pedal or anything like that.

Will give it some more playtime and mess around but I'm not sure if ill keep it as the SD1 cost me $30 and the Fortin cost me over $200 more than that.

I do like how it is newer and likely to last longer and there is something about the feel and sound that I really like. It's a subtle pedal, sounds great, the feel is absolutely on point and I really like the EQ. If it was a $129 pedal I would not hesitate to make this my primary over the SD1.

TL;DR I'm just not sure if a $150 - $200 premium is worth splitting hairs. I was very surprised to hear how close it sounded to the SD1 with the Fortin having the advantage.

Curious to see what some others think of theirs.

Last edited:
Finally got to try it and only have the SD1 to compare it to.

It's a great pedal, sounds awesome and better than the SD1. BUT the differences are very small. Splitting hairs as always.

I havent spent time to see if I can tweak the amp/pedal to match and I haven't blasted it loud yet but the Fortin has a tighter and better feel and just a slightly different eq somewhere on the low side that is more pleasing to me.

I definitely like the Fortin better than the SD1 but for the price tag idk, it wasnt a holy grail pedal or anything like that.

Will give it some more playtime and mess around but I'm not sure if ill keep it as the SD1 cost me $30 and the Fortin cost me over $200 more than that.

I do like how it is newer and likely to last longer and there is something about the feel and sound that I really like. It's a subtle pedal, sounds great, the feel is absolutely on point and I really like the EQ. If it was a $129 pedal I would not hesitate to make this my primary over the SD1.

TL;DR I'm just not sure if a $150 - $200 premium is worth splitting hairs. I was very surprised to hear how close it sounded to the SD1 with the Fortin having the advantage.

Curious to see what some others think of theirs.
I would agree and the SD1 is a very solid pedal that can hold its own vs a lot of stuff (whether very expensive or not). I think ultimately most of us want our boost to be a somewhat subtle thing to just make the amp a bit better (usually make it juicier, tighter, punchier, more mids, easier to play feel, etc). I think of it kinda like the amp is a piece of meat and the boost is like the bbq sauce or ketchup for it and we’re debating what is the best sauce for our amps. I personally like the newer 808 version more fwiw (that’s what I kept of the 2), but thought both were great

It’s of course up to others what is worth keeping, but for me I keep anything if I can hear that it’s better. Sometimes those smaller differences get bigger later on, but I would agree that these Fortin TS’s aren’t necessarily “holy grails” or something ridiculous. They’re just voiced really well. The only “holy grail” boost pedal to me has been a real Klon, but understandable that many will disagree with me there. Of the 150+ boost type pedals I’ve been through this Fortin 808 has been one of my 7 keepers

Last edited:
Back