What’s an amp that gets hate but you like or have a use for

Randall rg 150h. This amp get so much hate, but if you use a boost, you can get some.metal as fuck.tones with it. The new FET distortion is badass.
However, the real gem is the lineout. It catches the effects loop and silences the amp output for silent recording. The internal fan on the amp gives a 60 cycle hum, but a zuul gets rid of that. Put that di into a solid speaker ir, and we are good to go. The wizard does the same thing but no silencing of the amp output since it is tube.
I remember you liking the Randall

I thought people loved this amp?
people do

more votes for the Crates, Vengeance + Rebels and Renegades and a nod to the Fender Blues Jr, Bugera V22, and the Dime 100 :yes:

Didn't own any of those tho - just played at GC.

I did own a Peavey Valveking. It was my first tube amp. They got TONS of hate but swap the speaker, get some decent tubes, jumper the FX and dummy jack the low input and it was not bad at all.

went from this
dLVYSs1.jpg

to this
USFo0xC.jpg

ZaoCY9T.jpg

people do

more votes for the Crates, Vengeance + Rebels and Renegades and a nod to the Fender Blues Jr, Bugera V22, and the Dime 100 :yes:

I did own a Peavey Valveking. It was my first tube amp. They got TONS of hate but swap the speaker, get some decent tubes, jumper the FX and dummy jack the low input and it was not bad at all.

went from this
dLVYSs1.jpg

to this
USFo0xC.jpg

ZaoCY9T.jpg
That’s awesome!

people do

went from this
dLVYSs1.jpg

to this
USFo0xC.jpg

ZaoCY9T.jpg
Hell yeah

Jet City JCA50H - great crunch tone
EVH Iconic - fun to play
Blackstar HT20 - nice low volume tone

Last edited:
Yeah it doesn’t really solve the issue though. I like the clipping on the crunch channel but I’d prefer the ultra channel without it. The clipping as implemented puts a weird pokey spike in the midrange and there’s not much you can do about it. To me it really screws up the ultra channel, and the EQ makes it worse. Active EQ with I think +-10dB of boost and cut ends up just meaning most of what’s available on the dial is useless. They seem like kinda tight bands as well.

Speaker choice helps. I really don’t like the amp with V30’s, but with looser and less mid forward speakers it’s still a good amp if you need an “all-in-one” amp for cheap.
Loved the crunch channel on the JSX. I tossed in 6L6's in mine (years ago when I owned it) and it displaced my block 5150 after a solid decade of use. I had owned alot of amps during that 5150 era from SLO 100 to VHT's and I always stuck with the 5150 until the JSX.

I still get a hankering to purchase a JSX because I had several really good years on that amp. Some of the heaviest tones I ever recorded where with that amp and I got a ton of compliments on my live sound. For several Peavey amps, liked their take on high gain, tight with just the right amount of compression. Then again they'd miss the mark as well ala the Ultra channel on the JSX, was unusable to me. The JSC was sorta my transition amp back to Marshall.

Hey, let's dial the board back to it's earliest days...and in that regard I'll say the Peavey 5150. It got alot of hate back then lol. Then became the industry standard.

Fender Rivera era Concert, great cleans, good pedal platform. Not high gain or hard rock by any means, but great for that SRV/Hendrix-y clean/dirty thing. Stack a couple of OD pedals in front and good to go.

JCM 800 2205/2210.

The 2203/4s get all the love, and rightly so as they are killer. But the 2205/10 can be easily as good if not better, if set up right. Dime the gain, ch vol and the lead channel is all modded Marshall. Loop is decent on the later 80s versions and the Reverb, I’ve heard worse. If you have one that doesn’t sound good, and it’s an 85 or later do 3 things: Clip C20 treble bleed cap, move the purple NFB wire to the 16 ohm tap and re flow the solder on all pot connections. Boost if necessary.

My 3 top Marshalls all-time are my 72, a great 82 2204 that had a slight gain ‘mystery’ mod, and this new to me 86 4211/2210 chassis. Better than all the other stock, modded Marshalls which number around 50 I’d guess.

I thought people loved this amp?
I guess I should have clarified, people do love it for cleans...one of the best clean amps ever. But it really can do some good OD sounds with pedals....people write it off as a one trick clean pony when it can do a lot more.

Back