Acceptance of reality

I totally get what OP is saying, it can be tough and we are our own worst critics. I personally think I am a great song writer and can make great sounding catchy lead/harmonies that work well for the song. My vocalist tells me all the time that I am the only person he knows that can write good songs without it sounding like trash.
I'm trying not to sound conceited, but you either "have it or you don't", it is almost a nature vs nurture... hard to explain but I always just have these melodies pop into my head, like I have no absolute control over whenit comes, it is literally like I am merely a conduit and universe says "OH hey, we got some cool things to throw your way bro'"
You guys tell ME, take a few spins of my stuff, I know shameless plug but I am seriously offering up my stuff for those curious.

Nice job! There’s elements of Megadeth and Helloween. Very cool track!

well, to me (not an authority) your clip sounds legit ! but then again WTF do i know....

on a topic of divine intervention in composing...it deffinitely helps but so does work ie. intelligently 'applied repetition...and repetitive experimentation' ...

lets not discourage the ones that dont hear voices and melodies in their heads...

it aint 'rocket science'...

its mainly 3 chords and a catchy melody...4 little less often...

5 chords ??.... thats jazz !!!:giggle:

Tom Petty calls this “can’t afford the rest of it”.
HILARIOUS.
Meaning he can only do so much and the rest?
He can’t afford it.
-and he had plenty of moneys to buy it.

Sounds like you to be good and down in a hole.
If it gets bad enough, you’ll grab that acoustic
and squeeze out something

Just start with a melody. The rest will fall into place. Instrumental music is pretty easy to put together if you start with a melody.

It may not be great, but just keep at it. Its up to others to decide whether they want to listen to and or like it.

IMO, song writing is no different than playing guitar. You have your natural abilities, whatever they are, and then you practice and get better. Not everyone becomes a world class guitar player, but they can become musicians and entertainers. Likewise, not everyone can write hit songs, but they can still create music and art. Find your own ‘voice’ and create your own niche to operate in. Play to your strengths. Practice writing and figure out your own methodologies and try to have fun with it. If you don’t think it’s good enough to share with others, then just do it for your own soul.

I feel like I can write pretty decent songs... it's the recording it and production value I have great trouble achieving.

The key is to keep at it. In most cases you'll write 100 bad songs before you write something good.

I feel like I can write pretty decent songs... it's the recording it and production value I have great trouble achieving.

The key is to keep at it. In most cases you'll write 100 bad songs before you write something good.
well...helloooo there (kitty)...as you can see i visited your youtube channel.... :ROFLMAO:

i agree....100 terrible...101st...??? better....and better....

I totally get what OP is saying, it can be tough and we are our own worst critics. I personally think I am a great song writer and can make great sounding catchy lead/harmonies that work well for the song. My vocalist tells me all the time that I am the only person he knows that can write good songs without it sounding like trash.
I'm trying not to sound conceited, but you either "have it or you don't", it is almost a nature vs nurture... hard to explain but I always just have these melodies pop into my head, like I have no absolute control over whenit comes, it is literally like I am merely a conduit and universe says "OH hey, we got some cool things to throw your way bro'"
You guys tell ME, take a few spins of my stuff, I know shameless plug but I am seriously offering up my stuff for those curious.
Kickin' ass dude! :rock:

I'm hearing an Ozzie influence in the vocal lines & phrasing?

have you tried writing with other musicians (even other guitar players)? sometimes that can make a difference
This right here! Soo much more enjoyable, and inspiring to play music with others. Ideally a bud that can play drums. Writing original lyrics.. I’m lost

I think in all honesty, we are our own worst critics. We write something, and tend to get embarrassed and dump it before it amounts to anything. So, IMO you should finish it or even if you think it's trash, it may not be to others.
Just a thought.
I'm like OP in that I've invented literally thousands of ideas but never taken them to completion.

Two of my favorite young childhood songwriter teams were Bernie Taupin/Elton John and Lennon/McCartney. And I always figured...in order for them to write one great song they had to write a bunch of shitty ones. So you better get busy writing some shitty songs if you're ever gonna write a good one.

So you put in the god knows how many hours to become proficient at the instrument, but didn't learn to write with it.
Now you feel anything you write sucks balls.
So now you need to keep writing to get proficient at that. It will take time.
Just keep doing it. Again and again.
Keep everything written and recorded.
As time goes on you can reference back your older stuff and find nuggets worth keeping.
The more you write the better you will get.
Don't over think.
Try heroin.

Did you like anything? I have a bunch of electronic stuff up there, too.
disclaimer: im not saying this from 'above' down to you ....no patronising...trying to be helpfull...although i believe that you're perfectly aware of all im about to say
...............................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................
hihihi...well...you certainly are a character...clockwork orange, otter space,piggies,kitties....:ROFLMAO:... you better get all that out of your system...so you dont explode !

...and production and video doesn't seem to be a problem....

you even managed to sound like johnny rotten in a lipstick on a pig...and david bowie...and alice cooper....all in one song !!!

if i had to pick on something..(and i do have to, otherwise whats the point?) ....i don't know...you might be lacking a little in a soloing section...

groove you can hold (and even dance to it...) but soloing is not at the same level...

...and if you are like the rest of us guitarslingers, THAT'S what you like the most !!!

thats how you express the shit out of yourself !!! :ROFLMAO:

well...guitar up, head down and pick and pick and pick and pick...untill that movement is second nature and not a fight...

you know...like 'throwing shapes' whilst playing the groove....whilst during soloing you're stiff as a board (cose its a fight! )

im not much of 'electronic music guy'...so....who knows...to me its all shits and giggles...:ROFLMAO:

I’m a mediocre player at best but I have written some solid tunes in my day. I am friends with several touring musicians who are much better players than I am and they all agree that I can write some good shit. I’ve been playing for almost 40 years and I hit a wall 2-4 years into playing. I just never got any better.

I can’t even write riffs.

Well, I can, but they suck.

I try to write simple stuff like someone suggested, but they always sound so lifeless and lacking umph/energy when I record them. Where dimebag can make a simple riff sound like it’s got so much energy and so much more life when it’s just 3 notes.

I never can get the tone or overall sound I’m looking for. It seems to flow out of everyone else, but for me it’s impossible to get.

Its hard alone, but with one more person its a million times easier. You have a riff then they add something to that then that gives you an idea for something else

I guess the correct way to say it is - I can write songs just fine. I could write as many songs per day as you want. They just wouldn't be the sound I'm going for.

What I have trouble with is writing the type of stuff I want to write / getting the sound that's in my head.

Back