Which YJM solos do you struggle with?

I sometimes take this guy's videos and slow them down to learn the riffs.

He's not YJM, but he's got the feel.

Riffguy is an awesome player... and yet, still has the shittiest grainy videos lol.

does some awesome amp mods too from the sounds of it.

He's a brilliant guitarist. But I have to take him in doses. That said I incorporated his pedal points and single string idea's into my playing years ago.

In fact I think the perfect mutation of a guitarist for me would be Vandenbergs staccato classical leanings, into Schons ad lib riffage, into Lynch's elasticity, into Gary Moore's feel into YJM's classical knowledge. And throw in some John Sykes tone, attitude and pure going for it and for me that'd be the perfect guitarist. Lol.

It's the scalloped fretboard.

Those are a trigger for some people.

Ha! brilliant posts. No I totally get it because I can't listen to modern YJM for that reason. It's absolute garbage drivel. He's on auto pilot who cares what I play I'm awesome. I suspect that is what you hear here... just in what many would consider his "on" years. No shame in that. I can't listen to Polyphia. Dude with the tatted turtle neck is a dork and I hate that rythmic playing style...its woke!

The solo at the beginning of Steeler's "Hot on your heels" was groundbreaking. We were like "Who the fuck is this guy?"
The first Rising Force album....mind blowing.
All the rest? Yawn. Heard you do it last time,dude. What else ya got?
I got over that symphonic style metal pretty quickly. I got into more chaotic shit by then.

Playing on that Steeler album is killer. Alcatrazz is pretty blazing too. But the support cast SUUUUUCKs on those albums

I can pretty much nail em all. Only thing I struggle with is pulling of the hand shakes he does for flash. Good thing I recently reached out to Peter Cerman for lessons on that

Can you do a front kick AND throw out 35 picks by the end of your first song?? He literally throws them to nobody because there are only 26 people in front of the stage.

Ha! brilliant posts. No I totally get it because I can't listen to modern YJM for that reason. It's absolute garbage drivel. He's on auto pilot who cares what I play I'm awesome. I suspect that is what you hear here... just in what many would consider his "on" years. No shame in that. I can't listen to Polyphia. Dude with the tatted turtle neck is a dork and I hate that rythmic playing style...its woke!
Steeler, Alcatrazz, early albums. I sorted started tuning out after Trilogy. Kept up with him as we all do with great guitarists but really just youtube stuff. That said I spend probably an hour a few weeks back watching the New Japan Philharmonic thing, that was pretty cool.

I love yngwie and have taught him a lot . What makes him hard at times his his cramming . I love it it’s got a feel and a fire . But it makes for odd note groupings on the beat . Those are the parts he changed live too though

I love yngwie and have taught him a lot . What makes him hard at times his his cramming . I love it it’s got a feel and a fire . But it makes for odd note groupings on the beat . Those are the parts he changed live too though

Totally. On the older albums he totally crams notes in and comes in sometimes just behind the beat but he makes it! It is not as easy style to cop. New YJM is easier because it feels more up and down. Plus it is mostly rehash of 90's stuff so you already know it!

When you play in Yngwie's band..you know your role. Never approach too close, always stay at least 20 ft back. lol. I am going to see him at a local show in the spring. Apparently no band. Just him ripping to some smoke machines in a small venue. I'm starting to think the band wouldn't be all that necessary anyway.

Totally. On the older albums he totally crams notes in and comes in sometimes just behind the beat but he makes it! It is not as easy style to cop. New YJM is easier because it feels more up and down. Plus it is mostly rehash of 90's stuff so you already know it!
Cramming is important to a guys style . That’s how you sound original . I love modern guitarists like Jason Richardson but every lick is same note every beat until the next lick . It’s actually not cool to do always

Steeler, Alcatrazz, early albums. I sorted started tuning out after Trilogy. Kept up with him as we all do with great guitarists but really just youtube stuff. That said I spend probably an hour a few weeks back watching the New Japan Philharmonic thing, that was pretty cool.
Yep, I tuned out after the Seventh Sign. I watch the Alcatrazz Metallic Live 84' video at least once every couple of months.

love the tone he got with the fender head and the HS3 pickups on the orchestra and play loud videos, still the best bending/vibrato technique imo

Damn - what a nostalgic trip down memory lane. I’m old enough that I ‘discovered’ the Mad Swede on the first Alcatraz album (and then went backwards to his work on the Steeler album). His live solo on ‘Live Sentence’ just slayed. And not until the digital age did I realize that they had chopped most of it out of the live album (!).

Seriously, I went through a phase where he was literally all I listened to. It was just SO different than anything / everything else out there at the time. I could never cop his stuff convincingly. His note selection and phrasing was so unique to him, that copying it was just impossible (for me, at least). By contrast, if you were a Racer X fan, their stuff was based on clear, identifiable patterns and the rhythmic breakdown was pretty much straight 16ths and triplets - the real challenge was tempo - but everything laid very logically under your fingers. I do think Yngwie’s tone got bloated as his style grew unnecessarily busy over the years. Give me Steeler, Alcatraz, and Rising Force and I think you’ve got 99% of what that flavor brings to the kitchen.

Back