Which YJM solos do you struggle with?

Kapo_Polenton

I feel like I have been playing his stuff on/0ff since I was 14. ( or trying to anyway). Had an old reel to reel and I would record the solos onto it and then slow them way down to learn the intricate patterns. Man, that guy was an incredible player. His phrasing really mixed it up back in the day and he always had these statement points in every solo. He just hit the right notes.

Anyway, I am still not the cleanest alternate picker or sweep picker but two solos that give me a hell of a time, are Rising Force ( he used to do it so clean rather than sounding like a chord which is what a lot of people do) and Disciples of Hell. He's so damn smooth across the fretboard. Also for the record, I almost like Marching Out more than the first breakout instrumental album. It's aggressive and his tone is beefy.

He's a brilliant guitarist. But I have to take him in doses. That said I incorporated his pedal points and single string idea's into my playing years ago.

In fact I think the perfect mutation of a guitarist for me would be Vandenbergs staccato classical leanings, into Schons ad lib riffage, into Lynch's elasticity, into Gary Moore's feel into YJM's classical knowledge. And throw in some John Sykes tone, attitude and pure going for it and for me that'd be the perfect guitarist. Lol.

Come on, jokes aside..listen to this and tell me this isn't cool shit

im not joking though, his playing hits some nerve in me that just gets me tense, uncomfortable and in a bad mood lol. i made it to 3:55 in this solo only cause i knocked my mouse across the room trying to grab it so i could hit stop at 3:51 to end whatever horrible noise i was hearing, then he still managed to get a couple thousand more annoying notes in before i could hit the button. i hope you figure it out and rock that shit if thats what youre into though kapo :m17:

im not joking though, his playing hits some nerve in me that just gets me tense, uncomfortable and in a bad mood lol. i made it to 3:55 in this solo only cause i knocked my mouse across the room trying to grab it so i could hit stop at 3:51 to end whatever horrible noise i was hearing, then he still managed to get a couple thousand more annoying notes in before i could hit the button. i hope you figure it out and rock that shit if thats what youre into though kapo :m17:
It's the scalloped fretboard.

Those are a trigger for some people.

He's a brilliant guitarist. But I have to take him in doses. That said I incorporated his pedal points and single string idea's into my playing years ago.

In fact I think the perfect mutation of a guitarist for me would be Vandenbergs staccato classical leanings, into Schons ad lib riffage, into Lynch's elasticity, into Gary Moore's feel into YJM's classical knowledge. And throw in some John Sykes tone, attitude and pure going for it and for me that'd be the perfect guitarist. Lol.

that sounds like this dude, hes my favorite newer player

Well said! I agree 100% with a little bit of Eddie's relaxed loose feel.

Last edited:
I struggle to listen to most of them

Seriously, bores me. I have Trilogy, listen to it every few years.

I can pretty much nail em all. Only thing I struggle with is pulling of the hand shakes he does for flash. Good thing I recently reached out to Peter Cerman for lessons on that

The solo at the beginning of Steeler's "Hot on your heels" was groundbreaking. We were like "Who the fuck is this guy?"
The first Rising Force album....mind blowing.
All the rest? Yawn. Heard you do it last time,dude. What else ya got?
I got over that symphonic style metal pretty quickly. I got into more chaotic shit by then.

Reactions: PDC
Back