Which is the right attenuator

Jmack52

Hi all. Need some input on which attenuator to go with but I’m pretty new to that kind of gear. I want to be able to play my tube amps for silent practice so a headphone jack is a must. Also need to have an impedance selector. In a perfect world there would be an auxiliary input as well so I can practice/jam along to songs. From what I can figure out, the only attenuators that comes close to matching my requirements is the Universal Audio Ox Box except that it doesn’t have an aux in, although perhaps I can still play songs through headphones by using the computer interface.? I’ve looked at the Captor but from what I can tell they’re specific to a given impedance and I want to use it on different amps. Thanks in advance for your input!

The Suhr Reactive Load/IR is the closest to what you want. Has speaker sims preloaded. Has a line in and headphone out for song playback. Only down side is a fixed 8 ohm load. Another option is the Fryette power station or their load box.

Boss WAZA TAE . Built in FX as well.
I would actually agree with this however it’s a flawed unit and blows up certain amps on the market due to the reactive load section that allows you to choose your resonance and presence z input. This has led to impedance mismatches that the end user does in faith of the unit and doesn’t play well with some amps. Sounds great otherwise.

Fryette power load is the best attenuator out there in my experience. Smooth volume taper. No notched attenuation. Allows for you to add lows and highs that may be missing in aaggressive attenuation situations. Etc etc.

Ox box is great too but sucks ass for high gain. If you don’t play metal or use high gain for anything else, this box might just be your ticket.

The Suhr Reactive Load is the best sounding, most-realistic loadbox I've tried (compared to Fryette Power Station and the Ox Box). It gives a realistic impedance curve (modeled after a 4x12 with greenbacks). Every amp I've tried has sounded excellent through it. The Fryette Power Station sounded more flat and not as pleasing when using it as a loadbox with headphones. The Ox Box adds some cool additional features but as far as I'm aware they don't even bother modeling an impedance curve. Also the fact that you can only connect to it via wireless is just plain stupid.

If you want the best attenuator, get a Fryette Power Station. If you want the best loadbox for recording or headphone practice, get the Suhr.

I would actually agree with this however it’s a flawed unit and blows up certain amps on the market due to the reactive load section that allows you to choose your resonance and presence z input. This has led to impedance mismatches that the end user does in faith of the unit and doesn’t play well with some amps. Sounds great otherwise.

Fryette power load is the best attenuator out there in my experience. Smooth volume taper. No notched attenuation. Allows for you to add lows and highs that may be missing in aaggressive attenuation situations. Etc etc.

Ox box is great too but sucks ass for high gain. If you don’t play metal or use high gain for anything else, this box might just be your ticket.
I tried going down this rabbit hole one day and all there seems to be is a single report of a Wizard owner having issues that weren't clear to be from the Boss Waza TAE.

I have one and haven't had issues with the 4+ amps I've used it with.

I tried going down this rabbit hole one day and all there seems to be is a single report of a Wizard owner having issues that weren't clear to be from the Boss Waza TAE.

I have one and haven't had issues with the 4+ amps I've used it with.
Never encountered a devastating incident like the Wizard but It screwed up my Recto, Nitro, and Rockerverb. Made oscillating noises and boom would blow out a fuse and with the RV and Recto blew out a pre tube as well. Thank god no severe damage. The unit is flawed. Boss won’t answer. Good luck to everyone else. My word isn’t gospel. Just a warning to anyone else.

op it doesnt sound like you want an attenuator. you just wanna load it down and use headphones, not go low volume through a cab right?

also the "accuracy" of the suhr rl is something up for debate lately because it does slice off more lowend than a cab load. sounds great but honestly all these load boxes can. the "accuracy" is something that people talk about, but having four different boxes right here beside me, the differences are there but are way overblown online.

The Suhr Reactive Load/IR is the closest to what you want. Has speaker sims preloaded. Has a line in and headphone out for song playback. Only down side is a fixed 8 ohm load. Another option is the Fryette power station or their load box.
Yep.

Thanks everyone for chipping in.

Spaceboy – essentially you’re right in that I just want to load my amps up and use headphones but I also want the capability to not use my headphones and play low through a cab. Basically looking for the best of both worlds.

When you say that the Suhr RLIR isn’t an attenuator, what exactly does that mean? It has a speaker out connection so couldn’t you just run a cable from that to the cab? Or is the issue that the signal wouldn’t be attenuated?
Thanks again

You might wanna check out Aracom attenuators too, I've read good things about them when I was looking for an attenuator.

I was considering a Koch Loadbox II. Does everything I'd want, and allows me to use one or two cabs. You have to choose your impedance: 4, 8 or 16 ohms. Worth a look. $349 new, but backordered when I looked.

Spaceboy – essentially you’re right in that I just want to load my amps up and use headphones but I also want the capability to not use my headphones and play low through a cab. Basically looking for the best of both worlds.

When you say that the Suhr RLIR isn’t an attenuator, what exactly does that mean? It has a speaker out connection so couldn’t you just run a cable from that to the cab? Or is the issue that the signal wouldn’t be attenuated?
Thanks again
It doesn’t attenuate at all. When your cab is plugged in, it bypasses the unit altogether.

Thanks again
The speaker output ont he RLIR and some other load boxes will give your cabinet the full power, it doesn't attenuate anything. If you want headphone practice AND attenuation to use a cab, then the Mesa Cab Clone IR Plus is a good option. The Two Notes Captor has a -20db speaker output but it's not adjustable at all. You could also go the reamping route for attenuation, like the Fryette PS which does a great job. The OX does attenuation but it's not great, and there's the Boss TAE but I've never used that one. There's been comments around here lately that it could be damaging amps, but I don't really know the details with all that.

The Suhr Reactive Load is the best sounding, most-realistic loadbox I've tried (compared to Fryette Power Station and the Ox Box). It gives a realistic impedance curve (modeled after a 4x12 with greenbacks). Every amp I've tried has sounded excellent through it. The Fryette Power Station sounded more flat and not as pleasing when using it as a loadbox with headphones. The Ox Box adds some cool additional features but as far as I'm aware they don't even bother modeling an impedance curve. Also the fact that you can only connect to it via wireless is just plain stupid.

If you want the best attenuator, get a Fryette Power Station. If you want the best loadbox for recording or headphone practice, get the Suhr.

This tracks with my experience as well

The Suhr is really transparent but it's not an attenuator - it requires re-amping.

Hands down the best I've used is the Tone King stuff. Expensive, but 100% worth it.

ToneKing_IronMan_100_Inside_800x800.jpg

Last edited:
Back