Randy Rhoads 12/06/1956 - 03/19/1982

That’s not the video I’m talking about and it’s hard to see, but he is using the side of the pick, not his fingers.
Somewhere in the set he was tapping

Attachments

• DF498602-5363-43C8-BBF5-132ED600F50E.jpeg
    DF498602-5363-43C8-BBF5-132ED600F50E.jpeg
    38.3 KB · Views: 27
  • 5C7E4C69-0EF2-4FB7-B4EB-4A6ADCCC83A7.jpeg
    5C7E4C69-0EF2-4FB7-B4EB-4A6ADCCC83A7.jpeg
    154.4 KB · Views: 35
  • B6ED7F17-F7A7-457B-91C4-ECC045E30016.jpeg
    B6ED7F17-F7A7-457B-91C4-ECC045E30016.jpeg
    110.1 KB · Views: 33
  • 19EE1ADC-5AA7-44A5-A734-61AEF521CB3D.jpeg
    19EE1ADC-5AA7-44A5-A734-61AEF521CB3D.jpeg
    57 KB · Views: 33
Well I could be wrong eh. Seems George was tapping too back then. In fact he says he showed Randy the FHA lick back when Randy was still in QR.

Doesn’t mean Eddie wasn’t the best but it does mean that everyone who did it wasn’t ripping EVH off. Which was his claim.

Enough evidence/ testimony/ interviews exist to support the claim that Eddie WAS interested in Randy Rhodes and also support the claim that Randy didn’t appear to spend much time at all thinking about Eddie. A former student recalls asking Randy to show him some EVH lick. Which Randy did, but he wasn’t that happy about it.

It doesn’t seem to me that either one of those guys was influenced in their playing style by the other one. Two completely different styles. The only thing in common was speed. It does seem to me that at least early on Eddie had given some thought to being the best guitarist and being seen as the innovator though.

Eddie was secretive about what he used and even what he did. There are stories about him turning his back to the audience so they couldn’t see what he was doing. He didn’t talk about the mods he was doing to his amps and guitars or what FX he was using, etc. Randy on the other hand taught other people how to do his shit.

I totally agree though that EVH influenced guitar players and the then emerging “ Shred” style of rock and roll in a massive way and certainly more so than RR did. My recollection of those days is that back then the only people ( punters that is) interested in Ozzy and RR were long haired stoner Sabbath heads like me whereas VH was very popular with everyone under the age of 30.

EVH goes WAY beyond tapping or speed licks (Randy does too of course), and I'd say Randy. Uli, Blackmore, DiMeola, and Schenker probably had as much influence on "shred" guitar as EVH did (maybe more), but as I said before, EVH really transcended just the guitar universe and impacted pop culture, VH was HUGE. Not to mention the WHOLE LA metal genre, EVERYONE ripped EVH off. Humbucker in a strat ? Rip off. Graphic on a guitar ? Rip off. Tapping licks ? Rip off. Modded Marshalls ? Rip off. If you don't agree these things are direct rip offs, at least admit they didn't really exist before EVH made it popular.

Also, if anything, I'd say Randy was more peeved that EVH was more well known/popular than he was than EVH gave a shit about some kid that was in his shadow. Well known QR was very bitter about their lack of an American record deal for their first two releases, and that Randy wanted out of Ozzy despite Ozzy really breaking him nationally.

Also, if anything, I'd say Randy was more peeved that EVH was more well known/popular than he was.

This is simply not true. Randy looked up to and admired Eddie a ton.

He was going to quit Ozzy to go back to school to resume his classical guitar training.
He'd gotten burned out with the whole arena rock star thing at the time.

EVH goes WAY beyond tapping or speed licks (Randy does too of course), and I'd say Randy. Uli, Blackmore, DiMeola, and Schenker probably had as much influence on "shred" guitar as EVH did (maybe more), but as I said before, EVH really transcended just the guitar universe and impacted pop culture, VH was HUGE. Not to mention the WHOLE LA metal genre, EVERYONE ripped EVH off. Humbucker in a strat ? Rip off. Graphic on a guitar ? Rip off. Tapping licks ? Rip off. Modded Marshalls ? Rip off. If you don't agree these things are direct rip offs, at least admit they didn't really exist before EVH made it popular.

Also, if anything, I'd say Randy was more peeved that EVH was more well known/popular than he was than EVH gave a shit about some kid that was in his shadow. Well known QR was very bitter about their lack of an American record deal for their first two releases, and that Randy wanted out of Ozzy despite Ozzy really breaking him nationally.
I agree with some of this.

This is simply not true. Randy looked up to and admired Eddie a ton.

He was going to quit Ozzy to go back to school to resume his classical guitar training.
He'd gotten burned out with the whole arena rock star thing at the time.
You were there ? It's your opinion, just like it's my opinion. It ain't a fact. Neither of them is here to ask, so we'll never know for sure.

You were there ? It's your opinion, just like it's my opinion. It ain't a fact. Neither of them is here to ask, so we'll never know for sure.
I was there reading every damn interview the guy was giving at the height of his stardom.

It's not an opinion. It's his own words.

So, people don't lie ? EVH sure as shit lied about tons of stuff, as he was sick of people ripping him off. So only EVH was capable of lying ? Think Randy couldn't/wouldn't ? What's he going to say in his first national interviews, "I hate that guy, he's all flash, I'm jealous of his success" ? Get real.

Back