Randy Rhoads 12/06/1956 - 03/19/1982

Maybe I should have said he was the first guy to do it very successfully. I'm sure some people knew who Yngwie was in 1981, but EVERYONE knew who Randy was.

I would also argue that Randy did it better than Yngwie and certainly Schenker. Just my opinion I suppose. Don't get me wrong, I am an Yngwie fan, but all his stuff sounds very classical and robotic and Randy's had feel, fit the music and was more melodic.

I don't think anyone did it as good as Yngwie to be honest, he was a very special player. But no doubt watching Uli that YJM is lying about only having Bach and the classical composers as his influences. Blackmore did also hit the harmonic minor or "eastern" scale so yeah, we'd probably need to include him too.

I feel like Randy's playing/ compositions took you more through the modes across the fretboard rather than strictly in the minor classical vein. That makes him unique in his own right and with his own signature licks. Either way, he was an incredible player and from what I can hear from the bootlegs, a jaw dropper live. He had the fire.

This guy nails the Rhoads tone with his Kemper profiles .

Yeah it's pretty close. Something's a little off on the solo and lead bits on IDK, but not too far off.

My first distortion pedal when I was 11 was a Bud Box D+. I stupidly traded it way back then, but I have since acquired several more of various years, bud box and script logo. With one of those and an EQ pedal or a solid tube amp you can get real close. I can't say for certain I was ever able to nail his lead tone because I can't really execute his leads very well, but I think I've gotten pretty close. Can't play them like this guy though so still an epic fail. :cool:

Reactions: ccn
Yeah it's pretty close. Something's a little off on the solo and lead bits on IDK, but not too far off.

My first distortion pedal when I was 11 was a Bud Box D+. I stupidly traded it way back then, but I have since acquired several more of various years, bud box and script logo. With one of those and an EQ pedal or a solid tube amp you can get real close. I can't say for certain I was ever able to nail his lead tone because I can't really execute his leads very well, but I think I've gotten pretty close. Can't play them like this guy though so still an epic fail. :cool:

The guy below tells you exactly why Randy's tone is so difficult to achieve . It's all in the speakers.

One note about RR. Read an interview with Max Norman from a long time ago
where he talked about how recording him was really tough. Norman's nickname
for his pedalboard was the frying pan cause every time RR would stop playing
it sounded like bacon frying . Between RR and his volume control and
Norman's post cleanup you really don't hear it but he said it was the worst he'd
ever heard by far.

Last edited:
When they were coming up Eddie was sure AF interested in what Randy was doing. He was also very vocally and often erroneously taking credit for some stuff he didn't invent. Don't get me wrong, I am a massive EVH fan as well. The dude was a monster. I think Randy made him nervous. For his part Randy didn't seem to pay attention to Eddie at all. Or anyone really. He just did his own thing and seemed to be unaware he was "The man".

When they were coming up Eddie was sure AF interested in what Randy was doing. He was also very vocally and often erroneously taking credit for some stuff he didn't invent. Don't get me wrong, I am a massive EVH fan as well. The dude was a monster. I think Randy made him nervous. For his part Randy didn't seem to pay attention to Eddie at all. Or anyone really. He just did his own thing and seemed to be unaware he was "The man".
You must have gotten that info from Guitar magazines of some sort because they always added wording to stir up a rivalry where their wasn't any according to many people who were frequenting the strip back in those days .

George Lynch who was one of the guys who should know said in a recent video that Ed was clearly the man during that time . I love Randy as much as the next guy and much prefer him to people like Malmsteen , Vai and Satch .

Despite what many think Eddie wanted to have nothing to do with being a star he said repeatedly that he didn't know what the big deal was and he's just a punk kid who liked to play guitar.

The problem was everybody else made a big deal out of him with the release of VH's debut album.

You must have gotten that info from Guitar magazines of some sort because they always added wording to stir up a rivalry where their wasn't any according to many people who were frequenting the strip back in those days .

George Lynch who was one of the guys who should know said in a recent video that Ed was clearly the man during that time . I love Randy as much as the next guy and much prefer him to people like Malmsteen , Vai and Satch .

Despite what many think Eddie wanted to have nothing to do with being a star he said repeatedly that he didn't know what the big deal was and he's just a punk kid who liked to play guitar.

The problem was everybody else made a big deal out of him with the release of VH's debut album.
That album was a big deal.

I was referring to the story about Eddie going and watching QR. Randy was unaware. And also some quotes from Eddie, not from back then, but about back then. You can't deny that at some point not too far in his career Eddie clearly knew he was hot shit. Not that I think there's anything necessarily wrong with that. I mean damn he was clearly miles above almost everybody else. I'm sure the rivalry thing was overblown by people trying to sell books and what not, but at that time the only two guitar players in LA who mattered were EVH and RR.

So much this. Listen to the live Suicide Solution solo. Not just speed, but blazing with pure attitude.
No one was tearing up the fretboard like that back then. Not even Eddie imo.
Yes Randy & Marty were among the very rare cases of having flash with class. Too many other players were just flash with mostly noodly gobbly gook type licks without really saying anything or having a cohesive story to the guitar solos. You’d think Randy would’ve raised the standards for that quality of leadwork in players that came after him, but maybe it’s just because he wasn’t around long enough sadly or that it’s simply just deceptively difficult to do

I don't think it was nervousness, Eddie could rip. It was jealousy because someone else was capturing the spotlight and people weren't just nut hugging him anymore. Eddie was a game changer and he deserves all the credit he got.

Yes Randy & Marty were among the very rare cases of having flash with class. Too many other players were just flash with mostly noodly gobbly gook type licks without really saying anything or having a cohesive story to the guitar solos. You’d think Randy would’ve raised the standards for that quality of leadwork in players that came after him, but maybe it’s just because he wasn’t around long enough sadly or that it’s simply just deceptively difficult to do

Guys, I think we are getting a little too carried away now. It's like listening to my dad talk about the NHL " good ol days"... guys were absolutely crushing it in a few short years after Ed and Randy were the rage. You don't think Jake E Lee's chops were worthy? That guy was a freakin monster. You had Paul Gilbert, Vinnie Moore, Lynch who found his voice, YJM. Time didn't stop, players kept developing.

Guys, I think we are getting a little too carried away now. It's like listening to my dad talk about the NHL " good ol days"... guys were absolutely crushing it in a few short years after Ed and Randy were the rage. You don't think Jake E Lee's chops were worthy? That guy was a freakin monster. You had Paul Gilbert, Vinnie Moore, Lynch who found his voice, YJM. Time didn't stop, players kept developing.
I first of all wasn’t alive yet when any of these guys first came around. A lot of players were better than Randy in just chops or technical ability. Randy excelled more at being one of the very few to have fast leadwork that actually had emotional depth to it with notes actually counting towards something in telling a cohesive story. Those others players I’d only listen to for chops, but now we have so many players much better with them in that regard too, so the only old school players really that are relevant for me are the ones with musicality going for them, not technique. It’s the same story in my main field of classical guitar. I don’t listen regularly anymore to this music anyway, so it’s not a matter of living in the past but just acknowledging & distinguishing which skills the various players excelled & lacked in

I think a lot of players like Yngwie & Shawn Lane were great players with chops, feel, vibrato and tone (for Yngwie) all going for them, but they just weren’t gifted like Randy or Marty was at actually composing the musical ideas. They shoulda let someone else who was do that part for them and we could’ve had something truly spectacular with quality playing & quality musical content. One can dream…

Last edited:
You had Paul Gilbert, Vinnie Moore, Lynch who found his voice, YJM. Time didn't stop, players kept developing.

You forgot the unknown who could smoke em all back then.

ShawnLane.jpg

No

At least I think so anyway.

Try to make this quick. Traveling on business with a client who happens to play and thinks Vai and Satriani
are where the rock guitar craft stopped. Started a 12 hour flight home by turning him on to POT.
He had headphones on, and it was noisy, but I could tell when his breathing started quickening
that Shawn was into his first solo. :ROFLMAO:

By the end of the flight he had checked out a lot of the Lane/Hellborg/Sipe stuff and was converted. :giggle:

Back