BRITISH PURIST SH TUBE AMP by LARRY

Larry, the British Purist SH rough channel is working with the tube booster too like the bigger brother?

What is the funktion of four mini switches on the front panel?

Larry, no one doubts that you make the best amps for high gain. But I think you are not the best at naming things. For instance, SH for small head makes sense and all. But just imagine that you put SHC on it. Now you have super hairy catepillar. That is a fucking win for everyone.

Larry, the British Purist SH rough channel is working with the tube booster too like the bigger brother?
Yes, both have exactly the same preamp circuit.
I just have moved the Pregain of the big BP from the rear panel as Drive to the front panel of the SH BP

What is the funktion of four mini switches on the front panel?
Basically the Classic channel is the brighter channel of a '68 (not '69 !) Plexi Marshall.
- The 1st mini switch up accentuates the high mids, not like a 'Bright' switch, rather like an 'Edge' switch
- The 2nd mini switch up adds a well dosed amount of low mids to the sound and makes it meatier, similar like a 'body' switch

Basically the Rough channel (Booster off) is a refined Marshall 2203 MV channel.
The original is designed to be a bit wiry and slim. Good for rhythm and riffing, but rather unwilling for soloing.
- The 3th mini switch up adds a wide range of mids and makes this channel a vintage lead channel even without a booster
This mini switch is only active in the not boosted mode of the Rough channel.
- The 4th mini switch up boosts (independent of the integrated tube booster) all frequencies from the low mids, but not the bass, so that this channel - regardless of whether in basic or drive mode - always remains tight despite the significantly increased gain.
This mini switch is active in the basic mode and also in the drive mode of the Rough channel.

And then there's still the integrated tube booster, what activates an additional tube and the Drive control on the front panel as well as the Bite & Punch controls on the rear panel.

If in this mode you now push up the 4th mini switch, you'll have gain almost as much as with a Dino, just with more vintage flair 🤩

Last edited:
Again some photos for you:

In time for the weekend I still have the first 6 Plexiglas fronts for the small head case and lots of Larry logo stickers.

The stickers are in mirror writing because they are attached to the Plexiglas panes from the inside.

IMG_8233.jpeg

IMG_8234.jpeg

IMG_8235.jpeg

The first Plexiglas front mounted in the finished head case:

IMG_8248.jpeg

And finally the completely finished amp:

IMG_8250.jpeg

IMG_8251.jpeg

IMG_8252.jpeg

It was already night here in Germany, but tomorrow I will take some more photos in daylight on my terrace and show you.

Good night 🥱 😴

Being a bit direct here I know, but honestly, who cares what color knobs when the amps take 2-4 years to build & deliver...just being brutally honest. If they could be delivered in a realistic timeframe, I'm sure folks couldn't give two shits if the knobs were rainbow colored with puke green polka dots.

Back