Studio Monitors for modeling gear

Aynirar27

What are you guys using??

I’ve finally accepted that at this stage of my life, playing loud just wont be a thing for a while. So I’m slowly moving all my big iron and decided to focus on a decent kemper set up.
Still 90% of my playing will be through headphones, but I’d like some powered monitors for the times I can make a little noise.

I’d say the room is 10x15. Lots of reflective surfaces at the moment, but I recently ransacked a bunch of rehearsal rooms before demolition so I am intending to give the room a treatment

Thanks!!

kind of depends on budget
I have used the equator d5
a pair of used equator d5's are nice used @200ish
I see a lot of fans of presonus eris 3.5 bit havent used them

I have a pair of Yamaha HS8 with my DAW, that I also use for my AXE-FX III. I also just got an EV PXM-12MP for my FM9. The EV will be for dialing in tones on the FM9 for gigging, with one feed going to FOH, and the other driving the PXM-12MP.

kind of depends on budget
I have used the equator d5
a pair of used equator d5's are nice used @200ish
I see a lot of fans of presonus eris 3.5 bit havent used them

Nice, I will definitely check those out. I don’t really have a budget, but 4/500 bucks would be a target I guess.

Are you intending to mix in the room as well or is the main purpose to just play through the Kemper? I think that's going to be the main difference here. 10x15' is fine for large speakers, if you're planning to mix/master and you've treated the room, but if not, I'd stick to smaller speakers in the 6 - 6.5" range. If you don't care about mixing, I'd go big, as they will recreate the low-end of a real amp better - something with 8" speakers would be ideal.

I love my Yamaha HS80Ms. I had Adam S2As before and, while they aren't as revealing in the high end, their mid and low end is way way way better IMO. I've also had Rokit 5s, 8s, M-Audio DSM3s, Adam A7Xs, Presonus Eris 8s, Dynaudio BM6As and Focal Twins. I don't know what it is about the Yamahas. They just work for me 🤷‍♂️

Are you intending to mix in the room as well or is the main purpose to just play through the Kemper? I think that's going to be the main difference here. 10x15' is fine for large speakers, if you're planning to mix/master and you've treated the room, but if not, I'd stick to smaller speakers in the 6 - 6.5" range. If you don't care about mixing, I'd go big, as they will recreate the low-end of a real amp better - something with 8" speakers would be ideal.

I love my Yamaha HS80Ms. I had Adam S2As before and, while they aren't as revealing in the high end, their mid and low end is way way way better IMO. I've also had Rokit 5s, 8s, M-Audio DSM3s, Adam A7Xs, Presonus Eris 8s, Dynaudio BM6As and Focal Twins. I don't know what it is about the Yamahas. They just work for me 🤷‍♂️

I doubt I will do any serious mixing. I may record some stuff here and there but this is definitely with the intention of playing my kemper through (or captor X).
If I ever get back in to recording I’ll need a laptop before monitors.

I am leaning towards Yamahas, largely do them them coming in white lol

got a pair of KRK Rockit5 generation 2, work just fine; mostly use with plugins.

I use an Alto powered PA with subs for my synths, digital organs and modelers; I can also use it with plugins if needed.

I use Presonus E8's. Front ported, plenty of power and tuning controls on the back. No hiss or distortion at all.
I use them for my modeler, Synths, drum machine, listening to music, TV etc..
Got mine on close out from zzzounds for $120 each. You can still find them for killer deals online.
Eris E8-02.png
Eris E8-05 (1).png

Back