Back on stage? Update 1

guitarnate2000

So I received an offer to play in a cover band here in Houston. The singer is really good. actually did some demos for me ten years ago. The setlist is pretty cool too. and I offered 5 or 6 tunes that I'd want to play if I joined. They happily accepted.

Problem is. I really want to play live again, but I am not sure if I lost my drive and energy level to do it at the level that I play at. not to mention if I don't use a modeler, then my rig is again, a heavy tube amp and 4x12 cabinet, at minimum, plus two guitars and my pedal board.

It eats at me that I have not in a few years. The last two bands I played in were ok. the very last one was a cover band and I NEVER should have accepted that slot. it was more of a solid for the singer. After the first gig, I flat out told them I had to stop. When they asked why, I mentioned that their setlist sucked. playing songs that compliment the singers voice. Songs, that had been beat to death by every cover band for decades. I left the stage with a very sour taste in my mouth.

Now I have a situation to play with these guys. I am 53 so I am not getting any younger. This may indeed be my last chance to jump in an already formed pretty darn good band. I am going to try it out and see how far it goes. I think..

first rehearsal is next week

These are what we are covering week one

AIC - We Die Young
KISS- Love Gun
OZZY- I don't want to stop
Steel Dragon- Livin the Life
Ratt- Lay It Down
Scorpions- Blackout
Alice Cooper- Feed My Frankenstein

I will let you guys know how it goes.

To be continued

Sounds like a good time!! Try it out and if it’s too much just let them know, but I bet it’ll end up being a blast!

Reactions: rsm
every once in a while, I think about playing out. remembering the good times, bad times and the ugly times...the thought quickly passes. :yes:

I played my first paying gig at 14 years old, and my last at 32. Kinda got it out of my system while I had the time, interest and energy to do it.

good for you if you do it, see how it goes then decide.

IMO

Get out there and do it!!!
I played my first gig in 26 years in March, and enjoyed every second of it. Which led to us actually keeping the band together and some upcoming gigs.

I’m the same age as you. Stopped playing out in 2000. Over the last 5 years, the company that I work for hosts a summer bbq for the employees and a few others and myself who are musicians play a small set. I look forward to it every year. Once it’s over, I miss it and start contemplating if I should see what’s out there. Currently in that state now.
I say go for it if you have the time and desire to do it. We aren’t getting any younger and someday, the option will no longer exist.

53? I can't imagine trying to lug and set up a 4x12 when I was at the age I needed a walker or a cane. Maybe you can advertise your gig in AARP.

Just kidding. 53 is the prime of life! Go for it!

If the big gear is really holding you back to play live again, get a modeler. It’s all about enjoying yourself

unnamed.jpg

If I ever get my digital "live" rig to the point where I'm happy with it, maybe I will? I may even go to a few open mic nights lol.

I have a small digital live rig that works great, sounds great and is very small and easy to transport, but I'm building a software plugin/computer rig now.

Do it! I’m 57 and humping 2 half stacks! I look at it as my last hurrah… Oh ya, and also another excuse to buy more shit I probably don’t need…

Brother, a Kemper is not that expensive. It has been a game changer for me. I do miss having the half stack on stage, but when I hear videos of the shows, I wonder why it took so long to get one.

Get out and go play!!! You’re too damn good to not be.

Back