Mesa Boogie Mark IIC+ vs Mesa Boogie Mark IV - Metal

Ture, but you can dial that aggressiveness out.
I had a Red and Purple, both Simul at the same time. No matter how i dialed either one, there was a harsh quality that I couldn’t get rid of. 2 weeks after that I found a 2C SRG combo at a NY GC for 750. Bought it and if I’m honest, was unreal as just a C..of course I had Mike + it and it was still great, but that amp as a C was just amazing and had this open, raw quality that I’ve never heard again. My soundguy said it was the best amp I ever brought to gig with.

Second A B and for this one I used a cheap boost and some other virtual cab called MegaBrit (two notes). This time I much prefer the mark IV as I really dig its scooped tone! The Mark IIC+ could have been dialed better but I just wanted to compare them using the exact same settings (eq)

Killer clip, man! That’s a great tone right there! Since the C+ is a more raw and open amp, I’d love to hear that clip with only the C+, with the mids scooped more, and 6600 elevated for more hair and aggression. That may get you really close to Ian’s tone. It sounds great as is though. :rock:

Killer clip, man! That’s a great tone right there! Since the C+ is a more raw and open amp, I’d love to hear that clip with only the C+, with the mids scooped more, and 6600 elevated for more hair and aggression. That may get you really close to Ian’s tone. It sounds great as is though. :rock:
Thx dude! yeah that would mean that I would have to scoop em all the way down ur right I am sure it would come close to the Ian's tone!

Man both of these sound killer. Like LCW said, the IV seemed more compressed. To me that makes the heavier, muted power chord type riffing sound better than the 2C+. But the 2C+ sounded more open, more bite and bark which makes the faster, thrashier riffing sound better. The only solution is to redo this in stereo with both amps. :)

Man both of these sound killer. Like LCW said, the IV seemed more compressed. To me that makes the heavier, muted power chord type riffing sound better than the 2C+. But the 2C+ sounded more open, more bite and bark which makes the faster, thrashier riffing sound better. The only solution is to redo this in stereo with both amps. :)
Great description maddnotez! That's what I wanted to say, but I couldn't find the words.

Nailed it! I will do that!

I had a Red and Purple, both Simul at the same time. No matter how i dialed either one, there was a harsh quality that I couldn’t get rid of. 2 weeks after that I found a 2C SRG combo at a NY GC for 750. Bought it and if I’m honest, was unreal as just a C..of course I had Mike + it and it was still great, but that amp as a C was just amazing and had this open, raw quality that I’ve never heard again. My soundguy said it was the best amp I ever brought to gig with.
Yes, the blue stripe I had was difficult to record due to that harsh quality! Nice score dude!

Hey @sotosprince

Have you played a Mark V, or specifically, the Mark V:25?

I'm wondering how close in the ball park the IIC+ and IV modes are in your opinion.

I can get the IIC+ mode in my V25 to sound pretty damn cloce to my red stripe but I have no
reference point for a IV.

Thanks.

Hey @sotosprince

I'm wondering how close in the ball park the IIC+ and IV modes are in your opinion.

I can get the IIC+ mode in my V25 to sound pretty damn cloce to my red stripe but I have no

Thanks.
Hey man, I am sorry but I have yet to play a Mark V / 25! I have once played the mark V and I was too compressed sounding for my liking.

Hey @sotosprince

Thanks.
Hey Donnie, I’ve played all the amps in question. In my personal opinion, the Mark V’s modes for the IIC+ and the IV aren’t that close.

It’s hard to describe, but I’d say the biggest difference is in the FEEL of the Mark V:

- the Mark IV mode seems less “complex”. The best way I can try to explain it is by comparing the real Mark IV to a stereo rig setup, and the Mark V to a mono rig. Sure, the tone is there, and it sounds like a Mesa Mark series amp, but it’s missing depth and character. If you can play two heads through two 4x12s, why would you play through a single amp/cab? I think this is why most players opt to use the “Mark IV Exteme” mode instead, since there seems to be more overtones in this mode, but it still isn’t like a Mark IV.

- the Mark IIC+ Mode has the same effect. The Mark V is missing the “bounce” and touch responsiveness of an actual IIC+. Once again, the base tone is there, but it sounds limited or compressed down to a single sound without the character that makes the IIC+ so sought after.

These are just my opinions, and my attempt to describe my findings. If you listen to comparison recordings between the Mark V modes and the original amps, they can sound really, really close. So for a “live sound” application, I think the Mark V is probably the best amp you could ask for, this side of a Triaxis. Having 3 separate EQ controls for each channel, and all the amp models, it really is versatile and offers some amazing sounds. It is a great amp. But it is different than the originals.

One other shortcoming the Mark V has is the limited settings compared to the originals:

- No mixing EL34s and 6L6s together,
- no pulling rhythm 2 while in lead mode and getting another boost of gain.
- no choice between triode/pentode.
- no mid-gain/harmonics switch
-You can’t set your own lead drive (I remember reading that the Mark V is internally set at 7.5...which is the most popular setting normally used on the originals), but I’d always tweak the knobs day to day, based on the room.

Anyway, this is the best I can try to describe at the moment. Maybe listen to some of the other guys and see if they disagree.

EDIT: after I posted, I think I can summarize the Mark V: It’s a versatile, multi-channel amp that offers some great tones, but it is not a replacement for any previous Mark series amp.

Last edited:
@fretout Thanks!

When comparing the V25 IIC+ with my Red III the one word I'd use is the III has this 'girth' to it that the little guy lacks.
I'm in a 10x12 room and don't get to play wide open so the differences are less pronounced though.

Back