Just got home with EVH 6L6 50 Watt. Huge difference from my EL34 50 watt S!!

romanianreaper

Won't go into all of this to nauseum but for anyone wanting an EVH 5150-III amp, the differences are huge IMO. Here is a brief few notes:
Cleans:
6L6 50 watt. Playing "Stairway to Heaven" with reverb and just sounded amazing and inspiring

EL34 50 watt "S". Clean is a Marshall clean. Even at lowest gain, almost could do ACDC crunch if hitting strings hard enough

Blue Channel:

6L6. Can crank gain and still use a boost for metal

EL34 S. Have enough Metallica type gain with gain at 9 o'clock

Red Channel: These sound very similar between the amps but obviously the S has more gain.

To my ears, the EL34 50 watt S is looser, more muddied when compared to the 6L6, and not as defined. Still a great amp but just different

In my opinion, fans of EVH's tones and more classic tones should not get the "S" Amps. The mids are cut, tons of gain even at lowest setting, etc. I found myself wanting less gain and I'm a metalhead. I'm really happy with the 6L6 50 watt. I think it is super versatile, takes pedals awesomely and sounds clearer. The EL34 50 watt S is great too but just not exactly what I want.

Bingo man. That's exactly the differences. Paired with greenbacks, the 6L6 is money, especially the blue channel with a boost. Love the precision drive with the blue channel 6L6.
We both know we have the same taste in tones since we owned the same Splawn back in the day! 🤣 Yeah, this thing is definitely what I was looking for.

You can’t compare the 50 watt el34 to the 100 fyi.. this has been discussed many times. The blue channel to me is much better on the 6L6 50 watt vs the el34 model… however, the 100 watt el34 head does not have these problems at all on the blue channel. If I was going 50 watt, I’d go with the 6l6 option for sure as well, but for 100 watters, the el34 reigns supreme to me. You can however mod the el34 50 watt easily to not have the issues it has on the blue channel stock.

I am trying to decide between the 6l6 2x12 combo, the 50 watt EL34 head or the LBX 1. I don’t really care about the cleans and the red channel should be similar on all 3 so it comes down to blue channel for me. Sorry not trying to hijack the thread, subject is relevant to what I am looking at

Have you put 6l6S against 6l6 5153 . Out of both 6l6 I prefer 6l6s . You need to have both 6l6s before better the the stealth . Try that fr bro

You can’t compare the 50 watt el34 to the 100 fyi.. this has been discussed many times. The blue channel to me is much better on the 6L6 50 watt vs the el34 model… however, the 100 watt el34 head does not have these problems at all on the blue channel. If I was going 50 watt, I’d go with the 6l6 option for sure as well, but for 100 watters, the el34 reigns supreme to me. You can however mod the el34 50 watt easily to not have the issues it has on the blue channel stock.
Yes, good point! Good to have many different EVH options though

I am trying to decide between the 6l6 2x12 combo, the 50 watt EL34 head or the LBX 1. I don’t really care about the cleans and the red channel should be similar on all 3 so it comes down to blue channel for me. Sorry not trying to hijack the thread, subject is relevant to what I am looking at
Oh no man, all good and not hijacking at all. Great I fo for everyone all around. I played an LBX the other day and was pleasantly surprised. The red channel is the same but I think the EL34 has more low mid going on so you do get a bit of a tonal difference even though it still sounds the same.

My original 50 watt 6L6 is my favorite amp that I've ever owned. I sold everything else and kept the evh. I only have $500 into it too which is even better.

EQ in the loop, boost or overdrive up front on the blue channel is where it's at.

Reactions: Geo
My original 50 watt 6L6 is my favorite amp that I've ever owned. I sold everything else and kept the evh. I only have $500 into it too which is even better.

EQ in the loop, boost or overdrive up front on the blue channel is where it's at.
See I got one of the first EVH amps when they came out and could not gel with it but I think I was not dialing in with my ears back then. Also I can appreciate less gain, boosts, etc more now

I traded a 6505 for the 50w 6L6 and have been extremely happy with that decision. It's a killer amp that punches will above its weight, especially when you consider how cheap you could find them before Eddie died.

Reactions: Geo
I am a big fan of my 50W 6L6. I dont think it is the best sounding amp, but as an all-in-one package, I think it is one of the best.

I am a big fan of my 50W 6L6. I dont think it is the best sounding amp, but as an all-in-one package, I think it is one of the best.
Another trusted tone expert I've shared amp experiences with 😂🤘🤘🤘 It is definitely versatile, especially with pedals. It has brought life into some boosts I have

Back