Less Expensive alternative to Sennheiser MD421-II

MadAsAHatter

I made a post a bit back when first looking at mics but couldn’t find it so I’m just starting a new one. I’ve procrastinated enough on buying a mic or two. I found what I wanted and went to buy this morning. Well that didn’t turn out as planned…

I am looking to spend about $100 out of pocket and have $260 in MF points to use. Had the perfect scenario. I was going to get an SM57 package thing with stand & cable ($10 more than an SM57 alone) and a used Sennheiser MD421 they have. I would have paid right at $80 out of pocket; perfect. Went to buy then my plans got shit on. Apparently MF recently changed their policy where you can’t use points towards used gear. And even with the points and a discount a new MD421 puts the costs over what I want to spend. Now I’m stuck at what to do or what else to look at.

I still want to get the SM57, but I need to find a cheaper alternative to the MD421.

My application is to mic guitar and bass for personal home recording. I don’t need pristine studio quality, but do want the best sound quality I can have for the money. And I don’t plan on doing much EQing in post. Think more 1980’s garage band recording days; mic the cabs, do the balancing on the mixer, hit record and go.

On the guitar side it was going to be a studio staple setup of dual micing with the SM57 & MD421. And I’ve liked all the recordings I’ve heard with that setup.

On the bass side of the recordings I’ve heard I liked how the MD421 picked up the low end and still kept the mid-range punchiness. The bass roll-off switch seemed perfect too for dealing with the low frequencies when close micing. And it just seemed like it is a great all-around mic for use in other applications if I ever needed. The SM57 seemed to be okay with a bass amp but I like what I heard from the MD421 much better.

So I basically have $260 to put toward something to use in my application as an alternative to the MD421. And it would need to be new so I can use the MF points. I saw somewhere the Audix D2 used as an alternative that also pairs well with an SM57, but being EQed for toms I’m not so sure. I didn’t like the way an e906 captured a bass amp, too middy and not enough bass. So what suggestions do you have that would be similar to an MD421 in my price range?

Save your money and learn how to use a 57 by itself first… then bring in the headache of a second mic later.

I've already learned how to do that and much more. I always ended up being the one to set up everything and do the garage band recordings. Mostly because I had a small stash of SM57's & 58's plus a few other random cheap ones. I lost the mics I had in a flood several years back, but hadn't been doing much recording at the time so I didn't replace them. Want to do some now so it's time to replace a little bit of what I had and maybe try something more than the standard 57

What about a single Seinheiser E906? I have one.. I don't use it as much but on it's own it sort of captures the 2 mic setup in the way it is balanced. Has the bite but can also bring more fullness as adding that 421 would. ( with the further scoop the 421 brings) I had read that it sort of fell ballpark where a 57/421 were and that is what they were going for. Either way it would address your issue and I believe it falls in budget. Later on you can grab a used 57 for what 70$ used? Those things float around everywhere.

EDIT: saw you tried the e906 ..on bass. But have you used it on guitars? Bass would be less ideal.

I don't have a MD421 but have been using a Heil PR40 for several years now on various applications, including bass, bass drum, and electric guitar. I'm partial to using a DI for bass and doctoring that signal in the box, but the PR40 has done beautifully in those scenarios. I'm also quite sure it would be good on toms if you were so inclined.

What about a single Seinheiser E906? I have one.. I don't use it as much but on it's own it sort of captures the 2 mic setup in the way it is balanced. Has the bite but can also bring more fullness as adding that 421 would. ( with the further scoop the 421 brings) I had read that it sort of fell ballpark where a 57/421 were and that is what they were going for. Either way it would address your issue and I believe it falls in budget. Later on you can grab a used 57 for what 70$ used? Those things float around everywhere.

EDIT: saw you tried the e906 ..on bass. But have you used it on guitars? Bass would be less ideal.

If I were doing only guitar and one speaker then the e906 would be where I'd start. But my cabs all have mixed speakers so I know I'll be micing 2 at times. e906 & SM57 or 2 SM57's would work and fit the budget. But then adding in micing a bass cab and that doesn't work as well.
The plan is to get 2 mics with at least one suited to mic both a guitar and bass cab. 2 SM57's would be okay for that, but it really doesn't do it for me all the way on a bass cab. That's where the used MD421 was coming in. Worked well with both guitar & bass, I like how it paired with an SM57 and the used one fit in the budget. So not it's an SM57 and something to take the place of the MD421 that fits in budget.

I don't have a MD421 but have been using a Heil PR40 for several years now on various applications, including bass, bass drum, and electric guitar. I'm partial to using a DI for bass and doctoring that signal in the box, but the PR40 has done beautifully in those scenarios. I'm also quite sure it would be good on toms if you were so inclined.

That one looks nice but is about $100 over what I'm looking to spend total. An SM 57 and couple of cables is taking the $100 out of pocket so I need something at $260 that the MF points I have will cover.

i love my D2. i have a 57/421 and never really cared for it despite being a classic combo

I started looking at that one more closely. A D2 or possibly a D4 look like it will cover what I'm wanting and fit my budget. Do you have any insight on how a D2 compares to a D4?

Always hated the 421. I know it’s classic but I couldn’t ever get it to sound good alone or combo. I’ve read the old white ones are way better but you know how that shit goes…

I started looking at that one more closely. A D2 or possibly a D4 look like it will cover what I'm wanting and fit my budget. Do you have any insight on how a D2 compares to a D4?

I have a d4 as well, I like the d2 eq curve more for guitars. If I get a minute today I’ll do a quick comparison of them and the 57

I never found any mic that does a similar thing to the 421, as good as it does it.

421s are an acquired taste, and they're very finicky about placement.

But they're a classic combined with a 57 for a reason.

I was also never a fan of the 421 but I know people can make it sound great. I’m not one that likes how invariant they are.

I really like the SM57 and Royer 121, granted it’s anything but low budget.

I would save and just get 421 . With movements of the 421 I believe the mic captures best what my ears are actually hearing from my speakers . That’s why I’ve come to love it

Can’t beat a 421 as a stand-alone mic for bass. Unfortunately I can’t think of an alternative. Maybe ask at a bass forum like Talk Bass.

I've already learned how to do that and much more. I always ended up being the one to set up everything and do the garage band recordings. Mostly because I had a small stash of SM57's & 58's plus a few other random cheap ones. I lost the mics I had in a flood several years back, but hadn't been doing much recording at the time so I didn't replace them. Want to do some now so it's time to replace a little bit of what I had and maybe try something more than the standard 57

Fair enough… grab a BD 201, thank me later. Nothing sounds like a 421 at all. If you don’t wanna drop the cash on it, grab a 201. It’s far and away one of my favorite mics to blend with a 57. Put it about -16db under the 57, and watch at how much fatness and thick low midrange it adds to your tone. great great mic.

Last edited:
Save your money and don’t buy a 421...or any Sennheiser mic for that matter. For guitar, they all have this annoying edge to them. If you want something for a bass cab, Shure Beta52 or EV Re20 etc.

The 421 just is a terrible sounding mic imo.

Save your money and don’t buy a 421...or any Sennheiser mic for that matter. For guitar, they all have this annoying edge to them. If you want something for a bass cab, Shure Beta52 or EV Re20 etc.

The 421 just is a terrible sounding mic imo.

im not a fan either, plenty of guys get them to sound great though on a lot of things. i need to watch a 421 tutorial or something lol

Back