If you could have any guitarists Abilities who would it be?

I can't believe the diversity and various artists mentioned, that is cool to see. I figured and assumed it would only be like 3 or 4 repeatedly chosen players.
I gotta say either Marty Friedman or Paul Gilbert for me.. it is a toss up. Marty's phrasing, vibrato and bends, Paul's crazy technique and fun beginner's mind mentality always learning and exploring guitar.

1st Brian Setzer. While he primarily plays one "style" he can do it all. I want his skills so I could do my own thing with them.

2nd for same reasons is Zakk Wylde, forget his "style" or tone, his skills on strings, keys and being able to sing on top of it is impressive.

3rd Jerry Cantrell, his skills at guitar may not be as high level as Setzer or Wylde, but I think that's part of the point. He writes some of the best tunes, great player and great vocals, his style is more my thing too...

Greg Howe, the guy can play any style and the notes just seem to flow out of him like running water.
Some of his phrasing on the "Parallax" and "Uncertain Terms" CDs is out of this world and the work he did with Kotzen on "Tilt"
is amazing

Fun question, so many to choose from. My gut says Nuno.

I'll also throw in Matt Bellamy due to his musical capabilities (guitar and beyond).

I love instrumental music so vocals (esp without harmonies) are secondary to me for some reason. So the ability to sing isn't something that's high on my list of "wanted abilities". So for me it comes down to technical ability, songwriting, and originality.

That's a tough one for me between Jimi and Eddie and maybe Randy if we had heard more from him.

Eddie, final answer.

If it were just technical I'd take Yngwie.

I wouldn’t want to copy anyones style or ability, but, I wouldn’t mind having John petrucci world domination mode.

Or maybe I would like to have yngwies Armageddon mode. But, he always eases up right as the fabric of space and time start to rip apart. This is caused by yngwies face melting arpeggio runs that defy the laws of science, physics, Astro physics, laws of thermodynamics, classical mechanics, and once he is done plowing through and breaking these natural and universal laws, all that’s left is particle physics and general relativity. He intuitively knows when he enters this dangerous realm. When yngwie wields this tremendous universal space magic, he can only be rivaled by Thor (and only AFTER he receives his new special ax, his hammer didn’t wield enough power to defeat yngwie) and Thanos.

Last edited:
Y
Page from TSRTS era.
Yes, TSRTS Page and his playing were the greatest heights of COOL! His dragon suit was the coolest thing I’d ever seen when I saw TSRTS in high school and I couldn’t believe how bold he was to actually put it on, go on stage with it, and not just pull it off, but masterfully pull it off. And of course he had the songs, riffs and leads to back it all up, as well as Bonham, Plant and Jones!!! Nobody had better feel. I remember, maybe sophomore year in high school, listening to page, and hearing a bend in a lead, and truly feeling it and just being blown away.

Remember how awesome and magical it was in your youth to discover a new band or player that blew your mind?!??

I wouldn’t want to copy anyones style or ability, but, I wouldn’t mind having John petrucci world domination mode.

Or maybe I would like to have yngwies Armageddon mode. But, he always eases up right as the fabric of space and time start to rip apart. This is caused by yngwies face melting arpeggio runs that defy the laws of science, physics, Astro physics, laws of thermodynamics, classical mechanics, and once he is done plowing through and breaking these natural and universal laws, all that’s left is particle physics and general relativity. He intuitively knows when he enters this dangerous realm. When yngwie wields this tremendous universal space magic, he can only be rivaled by Thor (and only AFTER he receives his new special ax, his hammer didn’t wield enough power to defeat yngwie) and Thanos.
I’ll have what he’s having. ^^^

Y

Yes, TSRTS Page and his playing were the greatest heights of COOL! His dragon suit was the coolest thing I’d ever seen when I saw TSRTS in high school and I couldn’t believe how bold he was to actually put it on, go on stage with it, and not just pull it off, but masterfully pull it off. And of course he had the songs, riffs and leads to back it all up, as well as Bonham, Plant and Jones!!! Nobody had better feel. I remember, maybe sophomore year in high school, listening to page, and hearing a bend in a lead, and truly feeling it and just being blown away.

Remember how awesome and magical it was in your youth to discover a new band or player that blew your mind?!??
I was at the last show (July 29, 1973) of the 3-night stand at MSG, NY. 17 years old. All we had to go by back then for info about a band was the album covers and various Rock Magazines.
The Dragon Suit was cool as shit! What I remember most was the expectation as the lights darkened in the hall. They played over 2 hours and when the show was over, and we were walking out of the venue, everything I thought I knew about guitar changed. It was a life-changing show for me which I've never forgotten.

I was at the last show (July 29, 1973) of the 3-night stand at MSG, NY. 17 years old. All we had to go by back then for info about a band was the album covers and various Rock Magazines.
The Dragon Suit was cool as shit! What I remember most was the expectation as the lights darkened in the hall. They played over 2 hours and when the show was over, and we were walking out of the venue, everything I thought I knew about guitar changed. It was a life-changing show for me which I've never forgotten.

My god!!!!!!! The height of their power!!!! Whoa!!!!! I would give anything to be able to witness what you saw!!! Oh man!!! I wasn’t even born yet!!! Page, to me, is the greatest guitarist there has ever been. You got to witness an event, that was so insanely bad ass, that it’s mind blowing.

Back