Whats the best bedroom practice amp available?

I had one of the earlier Vypyr 15's as a practice amp. I loved it. Since then I have owned the Yamaha THR10x and currently own the Spark and don't like either of them near as much as the old Vypyr. I used to just play through that Vypyr and shake my head at how good it sounded.

Life is too short for practice on shitty amp like Katana :) or worse PC plugins . There is no dynamic, flubby bass or un-natural response of guitar monitors in case of fuck-ins. I don't understand why practice on low end guitar or amp when my play time is 90% home 10% rehearsal/gigs. My practice rig is Naylor 60 (best low volume amp on planet) with low-efficiency speaker like G12-65 or Eminence Cream.

I really like the cheap Joyo Bantamps for this.

I have the engl based one, and it's decent, especially with a good speaker.

I tried the newer vypyr x2 at GC and thought it sounded killer. Tons of good cheap options out there now.

How does that speaker sound? I've always been curious
It’s fine to me, but I’ve never cranked it up or anything. The key to getting a good sound out of the amp stock (I’m too dumb to mess around with the software and all that) is to run the gain, presence, and top end very moderately. The amp has what can be a very cutting tonality to it that can be too much with speakers that are already bright.

Here’s that Australian dude demoing the internal speaker. Stars around 2:45 or so.

Last edited:
Peavey 6505MH

All tube, built in reverb, and 1W/5W/20W modes. You can practice volume rolling on songs just like the big stuff.

The Fender LBXII with green and blue channels is also killer but I don’t own one.

That’s what I use for late night jamming.

Back