At what point do you lower your price????

I see guys that have had listings on Craigslist for over 2 years, for the same thing. Some guys just don't want to sell, or feel like they are taking too much of a loss to sell at anything less than "their price". Then you have the truly braindead "GONNA GET WHAT I PAID FOR IT" idiots.
Yep, I've seen things on CL here locally for 2-3 years! Overpriced, and FIRM. Fucking morons.

Cracks me up that there's still people on Reverb asking WAY over new prices for Fortin Modded TS-9's and TS808's, when they are back in production. Godlyke is even on there selling the TS808 for $279, (pre-order, but shipping this month and into next), and there's assholes on there selling used for $380, $320, & $499!

I'll let a piece of gear sit at a set price for quite some time, if I know that my asking price is fair, and it's just not a trendy item people are looking to buy.

But typically I won't bump or renew a listing unless there's a price change along with it.

Personally when I list stuff, I try to put my items at a somewhat competetive price. I see guys who have had the same 70's Les Paul Custom on local craigslist for two years. overpriced and looking for trades too. those seem to me more like they don't need the money but want to see what is out there.

I mean I know car guys who’s cars have been “for sale” for 20 years now. “There’s an ass for every seat” is one guys term. Maybe one day he will find that ads that will pay double what his car is worth

I see guys that have had listings on Craigslist for over 2 years, for the same thing. Some guys just don't want to sell, or feel like they are taking too much of a loss to sell at anything less than "their price". Then you have the truly braindead "GONNA GET WHAT I PAID FOR IT" idiots.
I’ve seen those guys, and they truly believe they should get what they paid. It absolutely the greatest height of insanity. They are so insanely stubborn. On SF Craigslist there are guys who have been selling gear for not 2 years, BUT 4 or 5 YEARS!!! And in some cases THEY RAISED THE PRICE!!! Whoa!!

The way I see it is I got to play a bitchin piece of gear for how ever long i kept it and I paid a fee to play it. I rarely if ever break even, but nor do I really care. It’s the cost of owning bitchin gear.

Way I see it is you only live once. If I want to check out a new piece of gear, I am going do just that. The older you get, the faster time passes. I am hurdling towards my eventual demise and I want to experience it all!! Whatever it may be! I will deny myself nothing!! I want immense pleasure and gratification non stop at any cost, even the pain, misery and agony of others. I simply don’t care as long as I get what I want!! Well, maybe not that far or drastic, but you get the picture. Gear and tone chasing can get pretty wild.

When I sell any piece of gear (pretty rare event for me), I search the market for the exact same piece to get an idea of the current market price. Usually I'll check eBay, etc. Then I'll decide on a price from there, usually a bit lower than the going rate if I need to flip something to get something else quickly. More often than not the stuff I have for sale is usually more rare than most, then I just price it accordingly.

No, I have run into guys selling who are absolutely desperate for cash, yet they still won’t lower their price at any cost.

I have a neighbor who has many millions and it physically pains him to spend anything at all. Only buys the cheapest food he can get,(goes to some restaurant supply warehouse and him and his family will have the same meal every night for weeks) kids get Ross dress for less, buys used old cars and drives them to death. And complains incessantly about the price of everything imaginable. If he was selling something he would not take a penny less than his asking price at any cost. He is the guy who in the middle of a robbery risks his life to avoid losing a dollar. Some people won’t lower their price for any reason.

Last edited:
Been holding my money waiting for a moment of clarity that may never come. A collector has set his price so high that my money has gone nowhere for months in the hopes he will lower his price...these days are beyond insane.
Bro, you should watch that vice episode on that drug in South America that makes people your personal zombie for the day and do whatever you say. I think it’s called the devils breath maybe. Just blow a handful of that dust in that collectors face and start issuing orders to sell at cheap prices. And when he comes to a day later you can show him the video of him agreeing to sell. They don’t remember much, but they are compliant and do whatever you suggest.

Plus, it wouldn’t even be wrong really, I mean, if you want his gear more than he does, I think it would be ok to employ a little devils breath. Like, that’s ok, right? Plus, you get your own zombie for a day.

Lots of good input here from everyone… I guess it depends on desperation or a ‘need to sell’ and how bad someone wants to sell a piece of gear. Medical bills, house bills etc.
I have put things up for sale at a price that I want to get and if I don’t get that price, I will just keep it.
But like Jim said, it does depend on if you are looking at spending a huge amount of money on an old plexi (without withdrawing $12,000 from your bank account, royally pissing your wife off) and you need to move a couple things to get it, your path will adjust accordingly.

Last edited:
Once I decide to sell something, it’s because I really know that I am not going to use it any more. Unless I sell it, unused gear collecting dust on my shelf isn’t actual ‘purchasing power’ for the moment something really cool turns up and I’ve got about one day tops to snag it before it’s gone. I figure any difference between what I paid for it and what I sell it for was a fair price to ‘lease’ the piece of gear for the time necessary to put it through its paces at all volumes through my rig with my guitars (as opposed to trying it out with a floor amp and an off the rack guitar at a music store for 5 min.)

If you feel the need to bump the same item everyday, which incidentally cements your position as a douche, then you’ve priced it too high. Way too high.
There’s a guy on here, not too much anymore, that used to blow a gasket when he had something up for sale, would bump it up every day to the top (sometimes more than once a day lol) and if any one DARED to bump him out too soon he would go off.
Ass clown he was.

I was just talking about this the other day in a separate post.

9k listing for a norlins era guitar that has never sold over 6k, probably worth 4.5k pre pandemic. Listings are 6 months old and no sales in 5 months. Think prices might be too high?

I emailed the shop today, they said selling for a client and guitar is out of the shop with him in the studio. So he's still recording with the gear he wants to sell?

This has to be someone that doesn't want to sell but will if some idiot pays twice it's fair market value. I told the shop to tell me if he's a real seller and I'll make a real offer but it won't be above the last bubble level sale price.

Waiting to hear back...

I was just talking about this the other day in a separate post.

9k listing for a norlins era guitar that has never sold over 6k, probably worth 4.5k pre pandemic. Listings are 6 months old and no sales in 5 months. Think prices might be too high?

I emailed the shop today, they said selling for a client and guitar is out of the shop with him in the studio. So he's still recording with the gear he wants to sell?

This has to be someone that doesn't want to sell but will if some idiot pays twice it's fair market value. I told the shop to tell me if he's a real seller and I'll make a real offer but it won't be above the last bubble level sale price.

Waiting to hear back...
That is definitely a thing.

Lots of people are paying way over the top for gear now so why not try to make a huge profit?

Then there is the my wife is mad and I'm purposely listing this at a price nobody will ever pay so it doesnt sell and I can tell wife I'm trying.

Back