At what point do you lower your price????

gtrwun

Or just keep your gear? I see a lot of guys continue to bump their classifieds for 2-3-4 months or more with no price drops.
At what point do you just say fuck it, I’m not gonna get what I want and keep your gear or drop your prices?
I’ve never kept a piece for sale on here or Reverb/EBay for more than a few weeks. If I make my mind up to sell something, it’s going to sell.
Not ragging on anyone who has gear for sale on here right now…..just an observation.

I see guys that have had listings on Craigslist for over 2 years, for the same thing. Some guys just don't want to sell, or feel like they are taking too much of a loss to sell at anything less than "their price". Then you have the truly braindead "GONNA GET WHAT I PAID FOR IT" idiots.

I guess it depends how desperate you are for the cash.

Luckily I don't have that problem and don't usually lower my price.

I’ll throw something up and bump it for a couple weeks; if it doesn’t go I feel like it’s not going to and usually give it away to a friend.

For the record, I have weird taste in gear so not much sells lol

I guess it depends how desperate you are for the cash.

Luckily I don't have that problem and don't usually lower my price.
I agree, I’m not short on cash, but if you NEED cash flow and your piece isn’t moving, you have zero cash! 🤪🤪
I guess there are A Lot of guys who don’t need the money and they just wait…..and wait……

I see guys that have had listings on Craigslist for over 2 years, for the same thing. Some guys just don't want to sell, or feel like they are taking too much of a loss to sell at anything less than "their price". Then you have the truly braindead "GONNA GET WHAT I PAID FOR IT" idiots.
See, I just don’t get hung up on this. What I paid for a piece has nothing to do with market value. I sometimes overpay and I know it. Sometimes I get great deals and I might make a few bucks. It’s all part of the game. I’m not running a business.

you never know when that prominent youtuber is gonna do a video on said item and all of a sudden its expensive lol. happens everytime JHS does one of his videos on the best pedals under $50 videos, a half hour after he posts and those pedals are going for $200 and never coming down.

See, I just don’t get hung up on this. What I paid for a piece has nothing to do with market value. I sometimes overpay and I know it. Sometimes I get great deals and I might make a few bucks. It’s all part of the game. I’m not running a business.
Agreed. The funny thing is it's usually not even on cool gear people do that shit with. It's like some $75 pedal...they are asking $70 and use some BS "save on shipping bro" shit. I give away gear, I give deals on gear...especially to people who I know will use it. I am not a wealthy man at all, but someone that writes a couple amazing songs on a guitar I helped them with means more to me sometimes.

Never. Bump for 3 months then increase price.

LOL.. I'm about to do this myself, just for spite. I've had a pretty much pristine 1/2 stack Mesa Roadster head/Cab that I've tried selling here locally for $1900 on CL and FB Marketplace Lot's of tire kickers, but nobody buying. IDK, maybe that price is out of line but I don't have to sell it and I'm not taking any less for it. I'll post it for a week or two, then take it down and then repost in about a month. The next time it goes up for sale, it's going to be $2500 and when peeps start crying that "it was $1900 the last time you listed it!".. I'm just going to tell them they should have bought it then.

you never know when that prominent youtuber is gonna do a video on said item and all of a sudden its expensive lol. happens everytime JHS does one of his videos on the best pedals under $50 videos, a half hour after he posts and those pedals are going for $200 and never coming down.
The people that buy that shit will never use it to any artistic effect, well other than the art of making money. Like Pokemon.

I have definitely seen this happen. No doubt.

I too don’t understand the thought process behind it, especially guys who list stuff at the top of current asking prices. Everything I sell I try to list at the bottom of everyone’s asking price and in the middle of what stuff actually sells for. It’s not worth 3 months of messaging for an extra $50 on a $200 pickup. Plus this isn’t investing, it’s a hobby. Not to mention every time I tried to get top dollar for something I sold it bit me in the ass and wasted tons of time.

Been holding my money waiting for a moment of clarity that may never come. A collector has set his price so high that my money has gone nowhere for months in the hopes he will lower his price...these days are beyond insane.

Last edited:
The people that buy that shit will never use it to any artistic effect, well other than the art of making money. Like Pokemon.
Yes. The people who buy that shit are all members of the "Pedalboards of Doom" facebook group, where offset shitters with boss katanas take immaculate pictures of their pristine pedalboards that never get used.

Back