Wolf vs Wolf - How much difference between the Standard and the Special?

GearGasms

Doctor Love
Honestly, this ain't great. The guitars are cool, the playing is not.
Two very cool EVH Wolfgangs get to hang out with each other for a few minutes.
Which one would be your jam?
Have a mediocre weekend everybody!

Reactions: Geo
Didn't watch the vid, but the Special feels a lot more comfortable than the Standard due to the beveling. I've jammed on a few Standards, and in my opinion don't feel or play as well as my Sterling AX40s (comparable guitars - import version of the MM Axis). Then again, I've had my Sterlings for almost 12 years now so I'm very used to it.

In the end I'd take either if I'm being honest, but would prefer a plain color Special over a nice veneer'd Standard

From your vid (just skimmed it), the Special seems to have just a little more bite than the Standard in the high gain bridge pickup section, but yeah they sound pretty similar overall.

What would be cool is a pickup shootout with those guitars. Peavey Wolfgang, MM Axis, and EVH Wolfgang pickups. I have the Peavey and Axis pups in both of my AX40s, and there's quite a difference. For me, the Peavey Wolfgang pickup sounds much more balanced in that guitar than the MM Axis pickups.

Didn't watch the vid, but the Special feels a lot more comfortable than the Standard due to the beveling. I've jammed on a few Standards, and in my opinion don't feel or play as well as my Sterling AX40s (comparable guitars - import version of the MM Axis). Then again, I've had my Sterlings for almost 12 years now so I'm very used to it.

In the end I'd take either if I'm being honest, but would prefer a plain color Special over a nice veneer'd Standard
I always thought the opposite. The Standard has the forearm contour bevels and belly cuts It is very comfortable to play. It is like playing a Superstrat. The Special has the archtop and flat back. I always think archtops are less comfortable because the edge of the body digs into my forearm. I bought Standards for that reason. I just wish they had the better Floyd like the Specials.

I always thought the opposite. The Standard has the forearm contour bevels and belly cuts It is very comfortable to play. It is like playing a Superstrat. The Special has the archtop and flat back. I always think archtops are less comfortable because the edge of the body digs into my forearm. I bought Standards for that reason. I just wish they had the better Floyd like the Specials.
I have to admit that I also found the Standard more comfortable to play. I wouldn't kick one out of bed if I needed a second one that's for sure. The roasted neck is great on that

I scored a Japan hard tail special from a pawn shop a little over a month ago. I have not been able to put it down. paid less than $250 for it. They sold it to me as a knockoff.

Attachments

• IMG_0957.jpg
    IMG_0957.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 36
Get the cheaper guitar and then upgrade the pickups (coil split, push/pull pot). I never liked any of the EVH pickups other than the Frankenstein. My Wolf Std was $499 and I keep it at my folks' house to plink on when I visit. No amp there, but that guitar unplugged is as loud as an acoustic. If I ever bring it back home, I will upgrade the pickups.

I have not come across a MIJ recently on GC site.

MIssed a black one on ebay earlier in week. Snagged a MINTY 2011 with some floyd upgrades on Reverb yesterday.

Should have Tuesday.

I scored a Japan hard tail special from a pawn shop a little over a month ago. I have not been able to put it down. paid less than $250 for it. They sold it to me as a knockoff.
Banging room! Love the Kiss poster! That would be a good pic for the Grind My Gear series. Love it!

Banging room! Love the Kiss poster! That would be a good pic for the Grind My Gear series. Love it!

I have been a fan since 1976. they are tied for my favorite with Iron Maiden. I have enough memoribilia to put my youngest through college LOL

Attachments

• mc5.jpg
    mc5.jpg
    304.7 KB · Views: 14
  • mc6.jpg
    mc6.jpg
    367 KB · Views: 18
I have been a fan since 1976. they are tied for my favorite with Iron Maiden. I have enough memoribilia to put my youngest through college LOL
You have more Kiss stuff than I do! I have all the videos though - even had tons of boots of the old shows and reunion tours before they finally put it all out. I even ran the VHS stuff over to DVD when the time came!

I bit the bullet and snagged a minty MIJ w/Floyd earlier today, but I certainly paid for it 😢
I have been eye-balling a nice black MIJ hardtail on Reverb for awhile. Guy wants $1699, and won't budge. It's nice and all, but $1699 is more than I want to fork over. Plus tax. Plus shipping. Fuck that..

Back