NGD - '80 Black LPC

SpiderWars

Just picked this up in a CL deal. I wasn't sure if I was going to buy it just because the pics weren't clear enough. And based on the description I expected it to need a refret but this thing has tons of fret left. Seller said they had been dressed but I can't tell, they seem to have full height. It plays great and rings out loud and true. 10 lbs but balances real nice. Lots of buckle rash to the wood on back and a small wear spot to the wood on back of neck but everything is intact, no breaks other than a cracked pickup ring, original pots/pickups and the fretboard and frets are in great shape. Somebody either scrubbed on it or used a chemical it didn't like so there is all sorts of non-glossy spots on it that look rough. I'll probably try some swirl remover in a small spot and see what happens.

I do wonder how all that wear on the back of the neck happened without hardly wearing the frets at all.

IMG20220901163849.jpg

IMG20220901165517.jpg

Maybe a refret at some time?
It really doesn't need a refret at all. I swear they look taller than the frets on my '13 Standard.

Fuck yeah man thats nice. As long as it doesn't fuck with your hand moving up and down the neck, who cares. I have seen way worse. Killer looking battle axe!
I can barely feel it and don't notice anything while playing. To be honest...that area looks weird. Look close at the pic and you can see that section of the neck is deeper black/less patina than the other areas. And you cant feel wood...it feels like lacquer even where it looks like wood. Makes me wonder if it was intentional relic (GTFO) or just somebody 'repairing' a bunch of wear/abuse...which the fret height doesn't indicate.

Yours looks great and your lucky about the frets being in good condition. I have a 79 like yours with gold hardware and must say it weighs a ton but man they sound good. Rock On Sir!

It really doesn't need a refret at all. I swear they look taller than the frets on my '13 Standard.
I meant maybe it had a refret at some time and that’s why there is plenty of meat left compared to the wear on the back of the neck

I meant maybe it had a refret at some time and that’s why there is plenty of meat left compared to the wear on the back of the neck
Could be, owner said he didn't do it and has had it since '09. It still has binding on the ends and looks factory but I'm reaching when I say that. I'm no expert.

Back