NGD - '80 Black LPC

I just disconnected the tone pots and it sounds way better. They measured 115k and 121k! No wonder it was so bad. I measured only the bridge volume and it was 309k. So I'll throw a new set of 500k pots on it first and see how it sounds.

Good god!!! That thing is bitchin!! I found the heavier the Les Paul from the early 80s, the better they sound. I know, I know, guys will disagree and get angry. But that’s just my experience. My friends 84 standard is by far the best Les Paul I’ve played or heard. It’s magical.

That's a good hypothesis, I'm going with that. This has all the indications of being a singer's guitar.
Lol great line.
I just disconnected the tone pots and it sounds way better. They measured 115k and 121k! No wonder it was so bad. I measured only the bridge volume and it was 309k. So I'll throw a new set of 500k pots on it first and see how it sounds.

I often have seen LP types / clones go with the 300k pots and then depending what they measure, makes their OEM humbuckers sound like muddy garbagge. Throwing some 500k pots in there can make those guitars into screamers. So a real LP would be no different. Sometimes they can be a bit too bitey with PAF types though. I forgot to look at the value in my explorer when I swapped the stock pups for an aldrich/air classic neck combo. They sounded dark to me. But since the switch and new pups, the thing is killer. So many factors contribute to the overall sonic experience. Also our ears and amps etc. Rabbit hole shit.

I am embarassed to admit I know nothing about 50's wiring. What difference does it make? clarity?
For me I like the fact that it helps retain the highs when rolling off the volume. The tone is slightly different than modern wiring also. You’re only swapping one wire so its easy to go back and forth to see which you prefer. That and Super Pots on the volume make all the difference

For me I like the fact that it helps retain the highs when rolling off the volume. The tone is slightly different than modern wiring also. You’re only swapping one wire so its easy to go back and forth to see which you prefer. That and Super Pots on the volume make all the difference
I do like 50s wiring for that very reason. What are Super pots? It's too late because I just ordered 4 Bourns low friction long shaft pots but still like to hear your take on them.

Cleaned up whatever that 'scrubbing' damage was. You couldn't see it from most angles but it looked pretty bad with a reflection. The pickguard is not going back on.

Before
IMG20220901183615.jpg

After
IMG20220902172342.jpg

More chrome a little TLC and a fresh set of strings. Just needs new pots. This thing is very easy to to tune, the tuners are very nice, and it stays in tune really well. Intonation is sweet. Balances perfectly on my right leg, I don't notice the weight at all when sitting.

EDIT: Also, recently learned that the cutaway is bigger on these Nashville Norlins. Never noticed but if you look you can see the cutaway is kind of big for a LP.

IMG20220902203048.jpg

Last edited:
I do like 50s wiring for that very reason. What are Super pots? It's too late because I just ordered 4 Bourns low friction long shaft pots but still like to hear your take on them.
Super Pots, also known as Vintage Taper depending on who’s selling them, have an even taper from 0 to 10

Super Pots, also known as Vintage Taper depending on who’s selling them, have an even taper from 0 to 10
I have some short shaft Vintage Inspired pots but they aren't as fast as I like. I'm really more into the speed and feel. That's why I went with these low friction pots. They are in my sunburst LP and feel great. I guess I just want ON/OFF and then "just below ON" and "just above OFF" and I'm good.

I have some short shaft Vintage Inspired pots but they aren't as fast as I like. I'm really more into the speed and feel. That's why I went with these low friction pots. They are in my sunburst LP and feel great. I guess I just want ON/OFF and then "just below ON" and "just above OFF" and I'm good.
Can you post a link? I’m interested in long shaft low friction ones

Can you post a link? I’m interested in long shaft low friction ones
I usually try to stay away from AWS but 4 of them for $20 delivered by tomorrow and I caved. Just search Bourns Low Friction long shaft pots. I think the first time I bought them I got them from a dude on ebay. Just ONE of those Vintage Inspired pots is $20. And I'm usually a "it only hurts once" kind of consumer, I'll pay up for something if I really want it.

Back