NGD - '80 Black LPC

Man they don't give these away! Why are LP customs so pricey? What are they doing or adding that let's say edwards or Orville ( by Gibson) aren't?
A name is all. I lusted over it for a day and by the time our meeting time came several days later I was not feeling so gung ho about it. But after I played it acoustically and saw the fretboard/frets I made an offer and we haggled and that was it.

These pickups kind of suck. If a pickup like this is going to be anemic I at least expect some brightness and clarity. These are anemic and dull...yuck.

Pickup whores always have one in the chamber.

And one is the same year! IIRC these Gibson Tarback pickups are way better than what's in there now but still a bit weak. I've had this Lollar Imperial Neck for a while, never installed but bought used.
IMG20220901211725.jpg

IMG20220901211706.jpg

Nice! Looks awesome.

A LPC is on my bucket list. Have owned 4 LP's (still have 2) but am seriously considering offering up one as a partial trade on a LPC. I completely expect to have it refretted so nice score not having to do that.

Nice! Looks awesome.

A LPC is on my bucket list. Have owned 4 LP's (still have 2) but am seriously considering offering up one as a partial trade on a LPC. I completely expect to have it refretted so nice score not having to do that.

Be careful. I went down the LPC refretted rabbit hole and now have three 😂 They’re that good for metal.

Congrats on the score Matt!!! I dig the mojo and as long as it doesn’t smell like jizz and booze you’re good 👍 😂

Be careful. I went down the LPC refretted rabbit hole and now have three 😂 They’re that good for metal.

Congrats on the score Matt!!! I dig the mojo and as long as it doesn’t smell like jizz and booze you’re good 👍 😂
Thanks! I was just reading that this probably has 300k pots? That would explain at least some of the dull lifeless plugged in tone. It sounds great unplugged.

Thanks! I was just reading that this probably has 300k pots? That would explain at least some of the dull lifeless plugged in tone. It sounds great unplugged.
Yeah it’s common for 300k pots. I still haven’t changed out my pickups/pots on either of my maple necks. Still sorting out amps.

I grabbed some 80’s Gibson 498/496 pickups off the forum a while ago. Covid shortages be damned, I tried to source covers for them so that it looked oem but I couldn’t find the spacing I needed so set aside the project.

I do like the T tops with 500k pots and only plan on changing my wine red pickups down the road.

Yeah it’s common for 300k pots. I still haven’t changed out my pickups/pots on either of my maple necks. Still sorting out amps.

I grabbed some 80’s Gibson 498/496 pickups off the forum a while ago. Covid shortages be damned, I tried to source covers for them so that it looked oem but I couldn’t find the spacing I needed so set aside the project.

I do like the T tops with 500k pots and only plan on changing my wine red pickups down the road.
The 498 is such an overlooked pup. Great all around pup.

I know from recently messing with lower value pots with humbuckers that a ~300k volume with no tone load at all can sound good with some overwound PAF types like a Duncan '78 or Suhr SSV. I could just try disconnecting the tone as a test to see. But in the end it doesn't matter, whether I keep these pickups in there or not, I'll need new pots. Which sucks because these pots feel really great.

Back