Cheap @$$ amps that rip?

You can make a .50 cal + sound pretty damn good.
It has the Metallica, COC vibe in it. Does the Nirvana thing with a DS-1 on the clean channel, basically close to a good bf Fender sound.
Gets that Santana singing, middy lead tone.
It's really a fine amp. It's not as articulate or punchy as something like an SLO, Wizard, but it's really hard to beat for $700+

This still sound crazy but one night I used an Ibanez Toneblaster live in a blockbuster video . That amp actually sounded great . They are like $200 . I liked it more then my Randall SSs and Marshall vs 100 for metal

This still sound crazy but one night I used an Ibanez Toneblaster live in a blockbuster video . That amp actually sounded great . They are like $200 . I liked it more then my Randall SSs and Marshall vs 100 for metal
I played through one of those at Sam Ash when I bought my Gibson V. I was shocked at how good it sounded.

It has the Metallica, COC vibe in it. Does the Nirvana thing with a DS-1 on the clean channel, basically close to a good bf Fender sound.
Gets that Santana singing, middy lead tone.
It's really a fine amp. It's not as articulate or punchy as something like an SLO, Wizard, but it's really hard to beat for $700+
I had one, it was very Mark like in it's tone and dialed in much the same way. You're right, it nail's the COC tone. Pepper Keenan used them for years.

I don't know how much Laney GH/VH series cost in the US, but here in Norway you almost can't give them away. The past year I've bought a VH100R for $350, a GH100L for $250, and a GH100TI for $250. I've previously owned GH50L and GH100L, and never paid more than $400 for them used.

At the same time, a used 2203 or 2204 will cost minimum $1000. You get a lot of bang for the buck when it comes to those Laney amps.

Peavey Ultra is another one. I got a Ultra 60 combo-to-head convert for like $80 used. Sounds killer.

ENGL Screamer seem to go for as low as $300 used. The Powerball 1 is also cheap on the used market.

As far as Marsahall goes, the original JCM2000 DSL 50/100 is still somewhat affordable. The JVM410/205 is also cheap over here. I've seen a couple of 205's go for $350-$450.

Peavey Valveking. I'm currently recording a solo project using it and it's crushing. Used to be able to get a 100w head for under $250. Not sure about nowadays

Vintage Bassman + 1/2 boost/distortion pedals.

I'd put this above all the others mentioned; only because I prefer the vintage tone + a boost. I'm seeing the early 70s versions coming back down to reality; 5-600. Through a greenback cab they sound glorious. If I had to sell everything for some reason, I'd be happy with one of these without regret.

Vintage Bassman + 1/2 boost/distortion pedals.

I'd put this above all the others mentioned; only because I prefer the vintage tone + a boost. I'm seeing the early 70s versions coming back down to reality; 5-600. Through a greenback cab they sound glorious. If I had to sell everything for some reason, I'd be happy with one of these without regret.

There’s a ‘73 4x10 combo for $800 local to me I was considering checking out but I haven’t gone down the Bassman rabbit hole enough to know the differences in years. I’ve got a DRRI kicking around I’m not too keen on that I’m either going to try to turn into another Edwards, an SV20 or a Bassman.

There’s a ‘73 4x10 combo for $800 local to me I was considering checking out but I haven’t gone down the Bassman rabbit hole enough to know the differences in years. I’ve got a DRRI kicking around I’m not too keen on that I’m either going to try to turn into another Edwards, an SV20 or a Bassman.
Even the early to mid 70s version are nice amps…they all have that vintage vibe and love all boost/distortion pedals imo

I have a DT25 and it does sound pretty darn good. It's a really cool feature to be able to change up the power amp topology. The downside is the volume can be a challenge to manage. Some settings are much louder than others.

Did you get the MIDI to USB cable and have that DT edit software?
Yeah I actually hooked that up a few weeks ago. Really opens up the options. Still not as uber high gain as it's predecessor Spider Valve series, but they can sound really good if you spend a little time with it. I wish it had some more on board effects options though, but it's very usable with the limited reverb on it. I guess I really need to get a POD HD unit to fully expand it. I don't understand why there's such a discrepancy in amp model volumes, though. That's aggravating to manage if you're changing on the fly.

I would also add a lot of Peavey solid state amps. I gigged with an XXL for a couple years until I got a XXX. The Bandit and Studio amps are also really good for just about anything.

Back