EVERYONE IS DRINKING THE REVERB KOOLAID

The $600 barrier tax reporting law was pushed off another year.
A couple of states were already doing it, or early adopted it. I'm in NJ and had to do it last year. Fucking politicians, they're all whores.

Yeah MD requires it for state taxes on invoiced/business transactions. Since I sold it on reverb, they already took out state tax for the buyer in their state and I’ll have to claim the albeit small profits on my federal taxes. It’s like $60 to them but not claiming it will cause more headache. I’m not trying to scape goat my finances.

I think I also have to claim my wine red Les Paul on my state taxes even though it was a private friendly purchase. I don’t know though. This might be the year I hire an accountant to do my taxes for me as these laws are changing way too much as to what I am supposed to do.

I bought 2 very expensive amps on Reverb because I can't get them here in Australia. Both deals went very smoothly for me :)

Yeah MD requires it for state taxes on invoiced/business transactions. Since I sold it on reverb, they already took out state tax for the buyer in their state and I’ll have to claim the albeit small profits on my federal taxes. It’s like $60 to them but not claiming it will cause more headache. I’m not trying to scape goat my finances.

I think I also have to claim my wine red Les Paul on my state taxes even though it was a private friendly purchase. I don’t know though. This might be the year I hire an accountant to do my taxes for me as these laws are changing way too much as to what I am supposed to do.
I'm originally from MD but moved to GA 4.5 years ago - thankfully, taxes are a ton lower here and no stupid laws requiring more tax on resale items, yet at least. Hope I never have to move back but we shall see.

that's how I found out Reverb reads your DM's ...... Some guy was trying to do a outside deal with me .... I simply told him if he was around or could make it to my area I had the amp also listed on Craigslist .... you can contact me through there .
Reverb temporarily shut my account down and stated I was trying to avoid their fees and what not .... and they wouldn't open my account back up till I electrically signed some statement that I read their rules about " outside " transactions ....

Like it or not Reverb has a much bigger audience for selling gear. I like to try to sell here but the market is so much smaller on the forums and if you want to move gear quicker sometimes its a much better avenue for doing that. I remember back in the day it was so much easier selling on the forums that I never even bothered with Reverb but eventually gave in and started selling there as well.

@BRENTrocks I hear you loud and clear. Reverb is actually pretty chill compared to eBay. Asking someone in a PM on Reverb can potentially open a can of worms. On eBay, they use automation to scan messages and catch shared personal contact info. It is a big no-no there.

On Reverb, your best bet is to tell the seller you have a question about the item they're selling. Make sure to include your phone number in the message and politely ask them to give you a call. Whatever you discuss on that call is up to you and/or seller.

BUT WHAT REALLY CHAPS MY @$$ is this stupid IRS reporting of transactions over $600. I can't tell you how many awesome deals I've lost due to this stupid $h!t. All politics aside, I really hope this gets reverted back to the old ways. Reporting all that stuff is next to impossible.

Woops, I sent a local seller a message the other day and asked if I could just save on shipping and pick up something in person. He never responded.. I'm guessing ebay scanned my email and it didn't go through? Or the guy just doesn't wanna lose the extra cash he makes on shipping.

Woops, I sent a local seller a message the other day and asked if I could just save on shipping and pick up something in person. He never responded.. I'm guessing ebay scanned my email and it didn't go through? Or the guy just doesn't wanna lose the extra cash he makes on shipping.
This happened to me on trying to buy some Atari video game accessories from a local eBayer. We were conversing back and forth easily, but I tried to put in my phone number for him to call me so we could easily discuss when I'd come pick them up. I wasn't hearing back, so I checked my sent messages and they weren't even being sent. So yeah, they auto scan those things to weed out messages trying to do local stuff or backdoor deals.

What is it with people being so scared of Reverb?

I mean, come on! Are they afraid that the Reverb police are gonna come into the house in the middle of the night and slit their throats?

It seems like every time I send someone a message, and say, hey man, I’ll do a cash deal, private deal, you don’t have to pay Reverb fees I don’t have to pay sales tax. It’s a win-win!

Everybody always messages back, oh, no, we can’t do that! I might get in trouble with Reverb!

Fuck Reverb! Fuck Reverb‘s high fees!
I hear what you're saying, and I've done a couple deals like that. But, there's also a lot of scammers frequenting there now too. Some of them might be people buying cautious. I've blown a few off, but some of us who've been around the block sniff them out pretty quick.

I won't do CL anymore. Too many fuckheads meet you in person, and say "I only brought xxx with me", and try to screw you out of a few hundred bucks. I don't want to do jail time for punching or shooting somebody, so I avoid it. I fucking hate people, don't want to meet crackheads, don't want them in my house. Of course not everyone's a crackhead, but there's sure a lot of them in my neck of the woods. If they're not trying to pull shit, they're low-balling.

Last edited:
I won't do CL anymore. Too many fuckheads meet you in person, and say "I only brought xxx with me", and try to screw you out of a few hundred bucks. I don't want to do jail time for punching or shooting somebody, so I avoid it. I fucking hate people, don't want to meet crackheads, don't want them in my house. Of course not everyone's a crackhead, but there's sure a lot of them in my neck of the woods. If they're not trying to pull shit, they're low-balling.

That's a good point. I have had a few sales in the past where people meet or show up and then start talking a different price then what was agreed upon. A few times i have taken 20 or 40 bucks off if the item was big ( 4 winter tires for example) but honestly, keep your word. Maybe I am old school or just raised by european parents but your word is your word, it isn't a Moroccan market where you haggle right down to the last cent. Many times I've told the person straight out listen, we agreed on the price and I know you don't want to leave empty handed. Let's just stick to it. That works but it shouldn't come down to that.

Reverb sellers are just a bunch of assholes who use a service under certain conditions and then refuse to violate those conditions :D. Your word is your word... Yes. It used to be like that.

This too. I was not going to bring up earlier but I will now; How many people meet up with an unknown party to make a deal and carry something to protect themselves? There was a story a year or so ago where the insane buyer showed up and loved the amp until he didn’t and wouldn’t leave the seller alone months later to sell it back; ring a bell?

I couldn't believe it, I found a guitar on Reverb from a dealer shop. Called the shop directly, never contacted with reverb, negotiated a better price and when I went to give them the credit card they said just pay through reverb we'll shoot you an offer and just accept it. What you want to pay reverb's fee?

Maybe it's just an employee that figure it was easier to hit a few offer keys than write down my card number. But any smart business owner would not lose another 5% to reverb (3% payment/credit card fee coming out either way). But why lose another 5%?

I used to love buying/selling on Reverb until UPS damaged and then “lost” an amp I sold. Reverb refused to stand by their “Safe Shipping” program that they forced me to buy cause UPS gave them some line about the amp not being packaged properly. So Reverb refunded the buyer and thinks I’m gonna pay them the $2200 that they refunded him! So now my account is froze, can’t even browse unless I log out of my account. Oh well… FB marketplace and forums are still great for buying/selling gear but Reverb was great for reaching a wider audience and for the “protection” I THOUGHT I had…

I’ve had multiple people do local pickups who insist that they pay me through Reverb.

I don’t understand it.

Well possibly their going thru Affirm as their purchasing option maybe?

That's what I'm thinking as well.

I've always paid cash for local deals, but when buying online I like to use the Paypal 6 month "Same as cash" thing on larger purchases. I usually pay it off within 1-3 months, but it's nice to have that option and spread out the "hurt" over a few months. :ROFLMAO:

I used to love buying/selling on Reverb until UPS damaged and then “lost” an amp I sold. Reverb refused to stand by their “Safe Shipping” program that they forced me to buy cause UPS gave them some line about the amp not being packaged properly. So Reverb refunded the buyer and thinks I’m gonna pay them the $2200 that they refunded him! So now my account is froze, can’t even browse unless I log out of my account. Oh well… FB marketplace and forums are still great for buying/selling gear but Reverb was great for reaching a wider audience and for the “protection” I THOUGHT I had…
@loganflynn294 was this before our after Etsy bought Reverb from CME?

@Bossman415 this was just a few months ago in November, so after Etsy bought them. There is 0 customer service now. No phone to call, just an automated bot to message, then, if the bot can’t answer your question it forwards it to a real person that will contact you within 5 days. Awesome platform to use until there’s a problem.

Back