Cheap @$$ amps that rip?

There’s a ‘73 4x10 combo for $800 local to me I was considering checking out but I haven’t gone down the Bassman rabbit hole enough to know the differences in years. I’ve got a DRRI kicking around I’m not too keen on that I’m either going to try to turn into another Edwards, an SV20 or a Bassman.
Is it the Bassman 10? That is my main amp, I built a headshell for it.

You can find these cheap! My buddy kindly gifted me an old Tech 21 TM60. Amazing sounding amp, just sounds so warm. I bought a TM10 in the late 90's, it's still kicking and I record bass with the Bass Driver DI. I am kinda pumped to run this through my 4x12 when I get over there, but as a combo it screams n cleans equally well. I did notice someone put in a Celestion Hot 100. It sounds fucking great in this amp, I I always heard bad things. I kinda don't know why you'd replace a Tech 21 speaker that is more suited to this amp...Not something I would have done but it works.
55C1A43B-24B8-4E0A-8AF3-A234BE4007D0.jpeg
4F934F86-43D2-460E-B4AC-435545DE532D.jpeg

Last edited:
I would also add a lot of Peavey solid state amps. I gigged with an XXL for a couple years until I got a XXX. The Bandit and Studio amps are also really good for just about anything.

Same.

7C2723ED-90A9-4B10-95C3-4A3D2D3FF48A.jpeg

I still have the XXL, actually. I won’t get rid of it just because it’s bailed out so many people over the years. When I was just singing in bands I‘d toss it in my trunk to basically be a community spare. Killer head and the biggest difference between that and the XXX was the volume from the tube power section, tonally they’re not far apart at all and in some ways, I dug the XXL more.

It is indeed! It’s still listed and it’s been a while, I could probably snag it cheaper than $800.

Have you tried any of the newer Bassman’s to compare?
I have played a lot of Bassmans, but not many newer ones. I paid I think $400 for mine but prices have been creeping up like everything else. They are kind of "love them or hate them" amps. They have the ultralinear transformers that some people don't like...but I think it sounds great. I got mine recapped and it roars like a beast and loves pedals. This is the headshell I made for it.
8A960D05-0A06-4E97-A45A-4D88FAEC6FA8.jpeg

The original Kustom Defender 50 1x12 combo (with the revolver-looking knobs) is another cool amp that can usually be had for cheap that totally flew under the radar

James Brown designed, solid pine cabinet, EL34 powered single channel with a MV defeat switch and built in reverb

Edit: this one

kustom-the-defender-4519167.jpg

Same.

View attachment 154717

I still have the XXL, actually. I won’t get rid of it just because it’s bailed out so many people over the years. When I was just singing in bands I‘d toss it in my trunk to basically be a community spare. Killer head and the biggest difference between that and the XXX was the volume from the tube power section, tonally they’re not far apart at all and in some ways, I dug the XXL more.
I agree about the similarities of the XXX and XXL. I did a couple shows switching between both, and honestly for the tones I was after with that band, they both sounded very much alike.

Hey, all. I know this thread is a bit old but I was wondering if anyone knew of any decent cheap amps for maybe $100-$200? I'm on SSI and can't really afford anything super expensive plus I'm not in a band or recording videos for Youtube or anything like that. I just need something inexpensive that doesn't sound like complete trash that can maybe model different amps if possible. I haven't had a real amplifier since my old Crate practice amp I'd had since the early 90's stopped working back in 2014. Since then I've been getting along with a little Pokrok headphone amp thing through some old PC speakers.

I just really want something that will give me the incentive to play again that won't sound like shit or cost an arm and a leg.

Hey, all. I know this thread is a bit old but I was wondering if anyone knew of any decent cheap amps for maybe $100-$200? I'm on SSI and can't really afford anything super expensive plus I'm not in a band or recording videos for Youtube or anything like that. I just need something inexpensive that doesn't sound like complete trash that can maybe model different amps if possible. I haven't had a real amplifier since my old Crate practice amp I'd had since the early 90's stopped working back in 2014. Since then I've been getting along with a little Pokrok headphone amp thing through some old PC speakers.

I just really want something that will give me the incentive to play again that won't sound like shit or cost an arm and a leg.

A used Yamaha THR10

THR10X if you're mostly in to hard rock and metal

They both rule

Back