Bridge pup for my Les Paul Custom

I used to have a 500T in my LP Tribute before I went back to passives.

Brilliant pickup!

I did used to like the Black Winter I had in it as well, though. Different pickups, but I enjoyed both equally.

I'm in a similar position, I need some solid pickups made for thrash to put in my 1979 Gibson RD Artist. I had the stock moog pickups in it cause it was all original but god damn they sound like shit lol. I'm either thinking of going with a classic like a super distortion (cause I never had one before) or some EMGs, most likely the Hetset. 500t is a great pickup, love mine in my explorer.

My thoughts on the Gibson 500T - The bass is fat and super punchy, without ever going loose. The high mids is where this pickup excells, it has alot of these, it's a quite middy pickup, though it doesn't sound nasal like a JB. It has lots of aggressive treble that sounds phenomenal on heavy riffage. It has that Gibson grain in it which I love because it adds character, though other people might hate because with certain setups can sound harsh. On the flipside, the pickup is really compressed (it kinda reminds me of the emg 81) This can limit some of its dynamism - it's not a very dynamic pickup. Lastly, it doesn't clean up well.
I guess it's one of the best pickups for some heavy riffing!

And here's the Custom 5 sh 14/ Love that one! Kinda scooped for sure but suits my mesa boogie mark 2C+ so damn nice! It's tight not too bright!
325361358_738620787398134_2145567252276076631_n.jpg

Last edited:
I have a Rebel Yell in an LP that rips...Tight, fast attack, but it is heavy in the upper mids.

Jim Wagner Iron Man? I have one in a superstrat and it's tits for thrashy stuff if you want a more open/less compressed fell.
RYs are super versatile for all genres of music. They're in 3 of my LPs - and between the pole-piece distance (super sensitive), to the palm-technique, you can pretty much scream anything from these pups for any style of music.

What about a Wolfetone Timbre Wolf or Rio BBQ? I love thr BBQ in a Les Paul. My LP is a little bright so the BBQ balances.
Far and thick.

Also, the Wolfetone TW is more like a Duncan Custom or C5 but better. Ha.
This pickup is said to be more modern but I don't understand what is meant by modern when talking pickups. I hear thr same thing abiut the Aldrich, that it is more modern.

Here's one of many JWP Godwood vs ToneNerd Psykes I just made, after making the swap in my Explorer.
All the clips were thru my 4104, sm57 on V30, PG27 on GB.
This tune is Drop D, Klon on whole time.

Surprised how well the Psykes cleans up.

Same thing, more thrash like:

Last edited:
The Suhr Aldrich seems to be a good option for a LP. I might have to try one. I think both the Nazgul and the BW are best suited for lower tunings yeah.

I just put an Aldrich in the Orville I got a couple weeks ago, I was a bit on the fence about keeping the guitar to begin with, but had that perfect thing happen where I nailed the setup on it and the Aldrich sounds fucking GREAT in it, I can’t stop playing that thing now. The lower mids are what I dig the most about it; I’m a Fractal guy and mostly spend my time with the Mesa models, the IIC++, Mark IV and JPIIC+ and even scooping them quite a bit, they just get this growl to them I don’t get with my other guitars/pickups.

The treble is perfect, I can still nail pinch harmonics all day long but it’s not overly bright, rolling the volume knob down doesn’t make things brittle. I’m kind of regretting putting the 81/85 in my Edwards LPC and I might just change them to the Aldrich’s. I’ve definitely never fallen in love with a pickup like that before and I don’t know if it’s just perfectly married to that guitar or if I’d get the same results in other guitars, but fucking hell that pickup is the shit.

And because we’re on a guitar forum and guitars are badass-

499203D9-41B8-4E37-BD33-8F28733A8282.jpeg

I’m thinking about putting a Nazgul in the bridge of my Solar I keep in drop-C, is it the mids/treble of them that makes them better suited for tuning low?

I just put an Aldrich in the Orville I got a couple weeks ago, I was a bit on the fence about keeping the guitar to begin with, but had that perfect thing happen where I nailed the setup on it and the Aldrich sounds fucking GREAT in it, I can’t stop playing that thing now. The lower mids are what I dig the most about it; I’m a Fractal guy and mostly spend my time with the Mesa models, the IIC++, Mark IV and JPIIC+ and even scooping them quite a bit, they just get this growl to them I don’t get with my other guitars/pickups.

The treble is perfect, I can still nail pinch harmonics all day long but it’s not overly bright, rolling the volume knob down doesn’t make things brittle. I’m kind of regretting putting the 81/85 in my Edwards LPC and I might just change them to the Aldrich’s. I’ve definitely never fallen in love with a pickup like that before and I don’t know if it’s just perfectly married to that guitar or if I’d get the same results in other guitars, but fucking hell that pickup is the shit.

And because we’re on a guitar forum and guitars are badass-

View attachment 156274

I’m thinking about putting a Nazgul in the bridge of my Solar I keep in drop-C, is it the mids/treble of them that makes them better suited for tuning low?
My friend installed the Aldrich bridge model in my '87 Kramer F-3000 (NOT the Focus 3000) and said the same thing: he couldn't stop playing my guitar after he installed that pickup. I love it and it's staying in my Kramer.

Back