Old vs New Recto's

I’m gonna disagree with you pretty much completely here. And that’s ok. Hetfields tone and vibe, if you wanna put it in “certain frequencies”, comes from a big cut around 1.2k. Which, it’s ironic you brought up pantera, because it’s well documented that a big cut at the same frequency is what gave Dime a similar vibe ( although of course totally different tones). Also, we weren’t talking about leads, yes 3-400 is cool on leads ( or can be), but the vast majority of instruments boosting in this area, it sounds terrible. Room mics are one thing, the EQ on the close mics is a totally different thing.
I'm serious about Hetfield's tone, ONE of the key parts is a boost of some sort between 3-400hz. That was said by Bob Rock. That's why that tent was made to catch more of those frequencies. I'm not saying a big boost in that area is going to sound good, were talking a very small boost here, too much of that frequency does muddy things up for sure.

A better frequency to cut IMO is 500hz. Maybe try it for yourself?? and compare.

I usually take a little out between 1-1.2k, it smooths the tone out without losing much cut and gives room for the bass and snare which I’m usually boosting at those frequencies.

I'm serious about Hetfield's tone, ONE of the key parts is a boost of some sort between 3-400hz. That was said by Bob Rock. That's why that tent was made to catch more of those frequencies. I'm not saying a big boost in that area is going to sound good, were talking a very small boost here, too much of that frequency does muddy things up for sure.

A better frequency to cut IMO is 500hz. Maybe try it for yourself?? and compare.
Have any studio clips to show us? I’ve seen some pretty convincing studio clips from VES that he knows what he’s doing lol.

Have any studio clips to show us? I’ve seen some pretty convincing studio clips from VES that he knows what he’s doing lol.
I'll have to do some digging, but I know for certain that Bob Rock said this. VES has some good clips for sure, but he also has some that I'm not a fan of at all. So...

Well there's a quote here that's interesting from Rock, I just gotta find an article where he mentions the specific frequency:
https://reverb.com/news/producer-bob-rock-looks-back-on-recording-metallicas-black-album
"James wanted crunch," Rock adds. "Crunch to me is upper mids. Crunch to him is that resonance when he palm mutes and it goes gonk! It’s the sound of the room we made for the guitar sounds, it’s not all closed mic’ed. We found that resonate point where he loved it."

So it's a resonant frequency that they got from the room mics, I'm absolutely certain it's between 300 - 400hz. I just gotta find the article that mentions it.

I had a 2010 Triple that would punch the fuck out any other amp. Sold it. Regretted it. Bought a 50th Anniversary Triple. Looks sick, sounds different. Took a bit of tube rolling and an eq in the loop and it kills. My Triple Rev G is insane. Tight and brutal. Rev G Dual is not as brutal but does the 90s thing for days. 2004 Tremoverb was mid busting city. I mean crushing mids. 2012 or so Tremoverb sucked. Mini Reco when they were released lame. Three channel dual, not too far off the 2010 Triple but less punch and a bit more raw. Single Rec, well, tiny ass OT so what do you expect?
2004 and 2012 tremoverbs?
What?

I'll have to do some digging, but I know for certain that Bob Rock said this. VES has some good clips for sure, but he also has some that I'm not a fan of at all. So...
I was talking about clips you’ve micd up personally boosting these frequencies for us to hear. Not bob rocks signals that were not just a raw track but ran through an ssl console and eqd to fit the mix. I mean hell, when I reamp I use blankets and stuff so I don’t get reflections.

I was talking about clips you’ve micd up personally boosting these frequencies for us to hear. Not bob rocks signals that were not just a raw track but ran through an ssl console and eqd to fit the mix. I mean hell, when I reamp I use blankets and stuff so I don’t get reflections.
Personally, I don't have any great clips I feel like sharing. I haven't recorded in years now, but I still know a lot about it. I was talking mainly about Metallica's use of those frequencies.

I've got a Demo of my old band from 2012 that I could share, but that would mainly serve a purpose as what not to do in the studio, lol. I wasn't the engineer BTW and knew far less than I know now.

That doesn't sound like "Gonk!" to me, this is in the lower midrange. They captured it by building that tent for Hetfield's rig.

I’m not really sure what he’s describing but when I think resonate I think of that build up I get especially when layering in the palm mutes, I hear it more on ajfa that bob rocks stuff, it’s usually a dip in 145 or so that tames that.

I’m not really sure what he’s describing but when I think resonate I think of that build up I get especially when layering in the palm mutes, I hear it more on ajfa that bob rocks stuff, it’s usually a dip in 145 or so that tames that.
That's not the thing he's describing at all. This is something they pick up on the room mics and it goes "gonk", so I figure it's gotta be in the mids, you ever fuck around with a wah and do palm mutes? that's more in the fequency range he's describing, not a big resonant "thump" like you hear in AJFA, or the outro to This Love or something? I know what you are talking about though.... I already know the answer to this is 300 to 400hz because I've heard an interview with Bob Rock stating this is the frequency range that Hetfield looks for in his tone during that time.

That's not the thing he's describing at all. This is something they pick up on the room mics and it goes "gonk", so I figure it's gotta be in the mids, you ever fuck around with a wah and do palm mutes? that's more in the fequency range he's describing, not a big resonant "thump" like you hear in AJFA, or the outro to This Love or something? I know what you are talking about though.... I already know the answer to this is 300 to 400hz because I've heard an interview with Bob Rock stating this is the frequency range that Hetfield looks for in his tone during that time.

I don’t remember him talking about 3-400hz cause I would have tried it myself, I guess it could be really low in the mix to ad a little “air” or something in the low end but I don’t hear a lot in hetfields tone.

I don’t remember him talking about 3-400hz cause I would have tried it myself, I guess it could be really low in the mix to ad a little “air” or something in the low end but I don’t hear a lot in hetfields tone.
Well that's exactly what it is, just a little air basically, a very subtle boost. It's just the room mics too, not the main tracks. But it adds to the palm muted tone according to Bob Rock, kinda gives Hetfield part of his signature tone. It's kinda like how the Jose marshall was used, they used it just a little bit to the main tone to give the tracks a little extra upper midrange, cause the Boogie's were pretty heavily scooped.

Last edited:
I've been looking at getting another rectifier, as it's been years since I owned one.

I was leaning toward a dual, but looking locally, there are a few great deals on triples. Would it be absolutely ridiculous to go with 150w triple, based on price?

I've been looking at getting another rectifier, as it's been years since I owned one.

I was leaning toward a dual, but looking locally, there are a few great deals on triples. Would it be absolutely ridiculous to go with 150w triple, based on price?
Triples are the way to go, IMO. They don't have that low end 'bloat' that even a boost can't take away, that the duals tend to have. I haven't played a 3 channel Triple but have owned 2 Gs and 2Fs, and I've played a MW trip. All are killer.

Yes man, that’s all it is. Super boxy midrange in the 3-400 area, that’s the way to that sound, that’s it!

Bob rock did say that…. That is true he talked about it adding to the tone…. But it’s also the same interview that he said multiple times the black album was a mark III, and this place turned into drama-talk.com over that. So I guess he knows what gave Hetfield his tone, but not what amp was used on arguably the best produced heavy album of all time…. LMAO I love this place, what a shitshow.

Back