Honestly...Is The MOP Tone Really That Amazing?

I'll never forget the first time I heard the guitars on that album .....
10th grade Spanish Class in 1986 ...... Guy in class had it on cassette in a Walkman !!!!! lol
anyway ..... the following weekend I bought all the albums they had out ... The garage days 5.98 Ep was just released if I remember right ...
Same vibe. I first heard it on a tape at a mates house after school and was absolutely hooked straight away. He also had AJFA, "the new one" but MoP was the winner for me.

Amazing to me that a bunch of 22-23 yr olds wrote and recorded such a genre defining album.

I'm going to chime in, my fav 'Tallica tone is RTL with Marshall boosted sound, but MOP is ok. Disposable heroes is the song that I think of when i think of MOP tones. Very brutal chest hitting aggressive sound, tight gritty distortion in a way only a Boogie can do. It is a classic metal sound, but I really don't think it is that magical to the point where we have to sell 2c+ for 5 figures. You can get the same damn tone with MkIII/IV/V/JP2C/VII etc, it is not this elusive unicorn...
In my late teens I had just a mark iii & V and was frustrated because I was always very close to getting that sound, but not quite. Missing the details in the upper midrange area and a certain clarity. A few years later I got a iic+ for a good price back then and there it was. Not saying it’s worth the price they go for these days to get that sound (not my all time favorite sound either), but it is what it is imo if you do want to really get that sound down. Back then they were my favorite band, so I was more picky about nailing that sound than I would be now

Same vibe. I first heard it on a tape at a mates house after school and was absolutely hooked straight away. He also had AJFA, "the new one" but MoP was the winner for me.

Amazing to me that a bunch of 22-23 yr olds wrote and recorded such a genre defining album.
Me and a friend stood in line at the local record store for at least 4 hours the day AJFA was released to get a copy ..... I saw them 5 times on that Tour ..... those were the days .....

In my late teens I had just a mark iii & V and was frustrated because I was always very close to getting that sound, but not quite. Missing the details in the upper midrange area and a certain clarity. A few years later I got a iic+ for a good price back then and there it was. Not saying it’s worth the price they go for these days to get that sound (not my all time favorite sound either), but it is what it is imo if you do want to really get that sound down. Back then they were my favorite band, so I was more picky about nailing that sound than I would be now
I had that same thing happen to me with the IIC++

I like AJFA quite a lot but I agree MOP is their pinnacle songwriting wise. One of the biggest things that the band has lost that sticks out especially with the more recent material is just the depth and layers to the old riffs. For a bunch of spotty faced punks playing heavy guitar music, there really is a lot of intricacy and depth to the material on MOP and even AJFA.

You can tell they had the inspiration and took the time to really flesh out and explore the melodic and harmonic themes that came out of their riffs. Sometimes you could even feel they get a little longwinded, but never that they failed to realize the potential. Nowadays coming up with something that has unrealized potential is about the best you can hope for from them.
Problem is they still spend 6-8 minutes doing it…lol

I like all of the tones from all of the albums for different reasons.
I would tend to agree with this statement for the most part. I was listening to the "Garage Inc." record the other day. In terms of production: turn the page, it's electric, astronomy, mercyful fate...The overall production value of that recording is just outstanding. The guitar tones are so thick and weighty, yet have great cut and clarity. I love the way that record sounds.

I would tend to agree with this statement for the most part. I was listening to the "Garage Inc." record the other day. In terms of production: turn the page, it's electric, astronomy, mercyful fate...The overall production value of that recording is just outstanding. The guitar tones are so thick and weighty, yet have great cut and clarity. I love the way that record sounds.
Agree 100%. Might damn well be the best production of their career. Huge sounding!

It's easy to look at tones from that era with todays production ear and pick them apart. For that time, that shit was amazing and still sounds badass to me, I am not even a Metallica fan.
I've been guilty of passing on listening to some classic albums because they don't sound good to my ears. Then I go back and put it in the context of the technology available at the time and realize how fucking phenomenal they are.

Back