Honestly...Is The MOP Tone Really That Amazing?

But if a band today started going for an 80's sound with reverb-drenched drums (because there was also sample enhacement back then as well, wasn't there? Just not as we know it today) and roomy-sounding guitars, I'm sure everyone would complain about hot bad it sounds.

I'm sure that's our own perception. I grew up listening to 90's and 2000's metal. I think the best tones are Carcass, Death, At the Gates, and old In Flames. I'm sure someone will say those sound super dated as well. But I don't think contemporary metal sounds bad. At least not if you know where to look. Because if you're looking at Trendiphery and Emmure, then yeah, for sure.
Trendiphery and Emmure are actual band names? Christ, no wonder metal sucks now. They sound like the subheading of a YA movie franchise installment.

Was thinking of you when I saw this thread. Post some clips brother. No pressure.

:cheers:
Haha thx man that means a lot to me! Will sure do soon - new toy

Attachments

• A511D1B3-79DC-43C1-A7F2-C39A1C31C6E5.jpeg
    A511D1B3-79DC-43C1-A7F2-C39A1C31C6E5.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 25
Trendiphery and Emmure are actual band names? Christ, no wonder metal sucks now. They sound like the subheading of a YA movie franchise installment.
*Periphery. I was just being facetious. But you've probably heard of them, LOL. :p

How can you listen to "Disposable Heroes" and not think that tone is amazing?? especially for '86. I think it's the best thrash tone ever recorded. Aggressive as fuck, raw, lots of attack, sit's in the mix perfectly... unlike RTL where the guitars are a bit bloated and blurry for thrash, and smothered in reverb. I think AJFA has some good tones on it too, especially "Dyers Eve", but "The Shortest Straw" sounds like shit IMO. I think they used the Mesa Quad on that one.

Personally, I think Load has their best tones. Great album? Nah, but tones are pretty sweet.
"The House Jack Built" "Bleeding Me" "king Nothing" "The Outlaw Torn" are all amazing songs, and yes the tones are great too. That album set the bar for production quality in Hard Rock/Metal IMO. Bob Rock really took the production to a new level on that one.

I'm sure it would be fine.

I mean, how many times have you heard MOP being blasted through PA speakers? Have you ever had any problem making out the guitars then? I haven't.
Those guitars have lots of cut IMO, tons of attack and grind to them. They're not as scooped as AJFA.

I think the tone is pretty damn good. As was RTL and I liked AJFA, and black album(to a lesser extent).

Testament, Exodus, Overkill and megadeth after Peace sells sounded good for awhile.

Years of Decay, Rust in Peace, Among the living are my favorite tones for thrash
Peace Sells has a great tone and production, the original mix. It's their best album IMO. Sure, their are some leads and a few rhythm parts recorded with a rockman, but the main rhythm tracks are all Marshall's rented from Mike Soldano. Just Listen to "Devils Island" and tell me that's a bad tone...

No, it is not that good. In fact there is no Metallica recording that I would use as a reference for setting up my sound system. And just for the record, AJFA > MOP in all regards...
Have you listened to all of AJFA? there are definitely filler moments/tracks on that album. Just listen to the whole middle section of "Frayed Ends Of Sanity" it's fucking terrible and so is Hammett's solo, that was the beginning of Hammett's downfall as a lead player IMO. On the other hand, every note he played on Puppets served a purpose and fit the music perfectly.

Have you listened to all of AJFA? there are definitely filler moments/tracks on that album. Just listen to the whole middle section of "Frayed Ends Of Sanity" it's fucking terrible and so is Hammett's solo, that was the beginning of Hammett's downfall as a lead player IMO. On the other hand, every note he played on Puppets served a purpose and fit the music perfectly.
And Justice For All is probably one of my least favorite Metallica albums. Awful production.

And Justice For All is probably one of my least favorite Metallica albums. Awful production.
I agree on the production, but it's still their best work for my tastes. I don't think production/mix is good on any of their stuff til the black album. But their best music was behind them at that point.

Back