New Slash Signature Magnatone

Somewhere, there’s got to be a one-liner about not having Vietnamese transformers…

But seriously, no matter what you are trying to sell, there is a number at which the average buyer will tell themselves anything necessary to justify spending the money. And there’s another number (not much higher than the first number) at which the average buyer will tell themselves anything necessary to justify NOT spending the money.

IMHO - Magnatone missed the ‘magic number’ by a country mile here.

I saw Slash with Myles in 2015. Sounded great. He was using JCM800s. Better sound than Jubs, imo. No way I'd consider this Magnatone. Maybe their stereo combo, at half price.

Clip from that night, not mine. Slash changed guitars around 2:15, not his best playing. He did have some awesome moments that night. Was a blast.

Frank Sidoris was using Wizard MCs, which he later sold on Reverb for $2500 ish each.

https://reverb.com/item/34138319-wizard-modern-classic-100-watt

i just cant imagine someone at the level and age Slash or Hammett, who both i would think gotta be worth hundreds of millions, being concerned with endorsement deals :dunno: id just start my own amp and guitar company at that point
Billy Gibbons would like to have a word with you about his amps, guitars, pedals, boots, hot sauce, tequila, knives, etc.

Kind of surprised that Magnatone's website doesn't mention Obeid Khan as the designer. It was probably him that first got Richard Fortus onboard with Magnatone, and then Slash followed.

Their news release page just says this:
The legendary guitarist will co-design the new models long-time Magnatone engineer and tube amp guru, Obeid Khan.
Not 100% sure what they’re trying to say actually. Did they forget a word or something?

I hate the look of those amps. Not Slash's specifically, but I hate that gear design trend where it's cool for amps/guitars to look like quirky cheap Japanese knockoffs from the 70's, except they're making them stupid expensive now.

Then again, even Gibson and Fender guitars looked like cheap copies of themselves in the 70's, LOL.

Who in there right mind would design the amp aesthetic to look like ...well a Marshall?

Slash would. That's who.

GTdnULg.jpg

I saw Slash with Myles in 2015. Sounded great. He was using JCM800s. Better sound than Jubs, imo. No way I'd consider this Magnatone. Maybe their stereo combo, at half price.

Clip from that night, not mine. Slash changed guitars around 2:15, not his best playing. He did have some awesome moments that night. Was a blast.

Frank Sidoris was using Wizard MCs, which he later sold on Reverb for $2500 ish each.

https://reverb.com/item/34138319-wizard-modern-classic-100-watt

When I saw them in 2015 he was using the jcm 800 combined with the AFD and a jube for clean.. I talked to his tech to confirm and he said he used them at the same time.

I'm not fond of the whole 'collector ' mentality ! amps and guitars should be played not stored like museum pieces unless they're something special like the actual guitar Hendrix used at Woodstock . besides selling to these guys are the ones going , ' is there a scratch on the tuner knob ? " or something dumb like that , either way it's annoying . just play the damn thing like it was made to do !
I have an afd100 and a silver jubilee that get's slash tone 150% I'd love to try that magnatone but at that price point I'd rather buy my kids first cheap car it's just ridiculous .

That thing looks sick!

Glenn Fricker will give rave reviews!!!
This. Lol.

…I’m feeling so glad about snapping up a SL2555 online this year… …gah.

I was kinda hopeful that Slash would have released a new signature Marshal this year. …

Dave Friedman talked about the Magnatone amp on tone talk a month or so ago.

Ironically, the Mtone didn’t make the rounds with the usual YouTube demo suspects.

I haven’t quite figured out where this new amp fits. I just want a hairy 100w of greasy AFD tone. Or, a full sized tube 20w.

Thought I'd just post the clip here... sounds great, but doesn't sound like SLASH or the cutting mids and highs of his #34 mods.

I know the amp is very expensive but it takes Millions to get an amp off the ground from start to finish from scratch.
Im lucky enough to have Obeid Khan as a good friend and he works on my amps when needed.
Im not bragging and i don't know Slash but Ritchie Fortus is a home town guy and one of the best things to come from St. Louis.
Mr. Khan sez Slash play LOUD !!! This coming from a guy who gigs w/a 68' 50 watt plexi cranked in medium venues.
You're not going to find a better bonified Electrical Engineer than Obeid Khan.
And he's as good a guitar slinger as Engineer.

historic_emblem_optimized.png

OPR2.gif

Back