Diezel VH4 Blueface

Are you interested in getting "old-script" Diezel VH4 Blueface?

• YES

• NO

Results are only viewable after voting.
I know my 2001 Silverface sounds markedly difference to the clips I've heard of the 2010+ Silverfaces.

But from what I've read, the early 2000's Silverfaces aren't any different schematic-wise to the Blueface models. Would *love* to know if that is true though.

Not quite.

1) Original Blueface uses a second tube in preamp. In modern Silverfaces there's a stub instead.
Plus some little tonal differences.
Most changes in clean channel: Peter's comment #1

2) But, accordingly to: Peter's comment #2
... your 2001 VH4 as close as possible to old Blueface version. (?)

Is it true? Or there's a more differences? ... who knows?

Not quite.

1) Original Blueface uses a second tube in preamp. In modern Silverfaces there's a stub instead.
Plus some little tonal differences.
Most changes in clean channel: Peter's comment #1

Right... so for the clean channel. Not really relevant to "Joanz Toanz" in that case????

Channel 3 differences are what I'm most interested in tbh.

2) But, accordingly to: Peter's comment #2
... your 2001 VH4 as close as possible to old Blueface version. (?)

Is it true? Or there's a more differences? ... who knows?
No idea!

I've already replaced the hum-pot with resistors, and I have replaced the midi chip and associated capacitors. I also did the compression/presence mod. But I would still describe my amp are being darker and more compressed than what I'm hearing from the newer models.

... I would still describe my amp are being darker and more compressed than what I'm hearing from the newer models.

I am a little jealous of you.
(Ok, more than a little! 🤭)

And that's what we're coming to. In order not to guess what needs to be changed in modern VH4 to achieve Blueface sound, we ask Peter to make a 100% original version. Just to put an end to this question.

(Or to hear his point of view).

Right... so for the clean channel. Not really relevant to "Joanz Toanz" in that case????

Every thing is important! The blue panel is 79% of that magical tone, did you know? 🤔

Personally, I think the original blueface circuit is all hype. The amp was really dark, which is why Adam had to blend it with a Marshall Super Bass (modded) to get any kind of high end. I remember reading about Peter Stapfer saying something like this (maybe in an early Rigtalk thread, I’m not sure). He didn’t like it.

Last edited:
All of the older versions ( including the blue face ) were just plain too dark for my tastes. The latest revisions are crisper in the top and and generally presents as more aggressive. This is particularly noticeable in the 2nd and 4th channels. Channel 4 is far more useful. Just my thoughts.

Personally, I think the original blueface circuit is all hype. The amp was really dark, which is why Adam had to blend it with a Marshall Super Bass (modded) to get any kind of high end. I remember reading about Peter Stapfer saying something like this (maybe in an early Rigtalk thread, I’m not sure). He didn’t like it.

Then why is Adam still using this amplifier? Why was he looking for the Blueface a ten years ago? (OMG, 11+ years ago, for real)
Because the old amp has it's own sound. And blending it with Marshall and modern VH4 gives that famous tone. But the core is still Blueface.

Otherwise, he would only use Silverfaces It's easier, cheapier, ... but at every concert we can see all three amplifiers together.

Also, bear in mind that Adam's main amp is modded, according to Joe Barresi :

"For this record, we ran the Diezel on channel 3 with a good rock sound, pretty saturated. It’s actually a modified Diezel that’s had a preamp mod done to it - so it’s the best-sounding Diezel in his arsenal of VH4s. The mod gives it a different responsiveness somehow; it just feels a bit punchier.

"It’s also highly volatile because of that, but amps seem to sound better when they’re about to explode! It has a thing and it definitely complements how Adam plays.

"The Marshall fills in the clarity and articulation that’s missing from the Diezel when in high-gain mode. I brought in the Uberschall for some overall beef and the Riveras for some extra muscle as their EQs are so flexible, and they work nicely for both dirty and clean sounds."

Peter blueprinted Adam's amp many years ago, maybe you can decipher his notes?

BQeFFwhh.jpg

qnvEtW6h.jpg

Then why is Adam still using this amplifier? Why was he looking for the Blueface a ten years ago? (OMG, 11+ years ago, for real)
Because the old amp has it's own sound. And blending it with Marshall and modern VH4 gives that famous tone. But the core is still Blueface.

Otherwise, he would only use Silverfaces It's easier, cheapier, ... but at every concert we can see all three amplifiers together.
Yes, the Blueface does have it's own sound. But have you considered maybe Adam uses it because he's been using it for so long and is used to the sound? He likes the way it blends with his modded Super Bass. I bet he would never use it in isolation because it doesn't have the high end to cut in a mix by itself.

Channel 3 differences are what I'm most interested in tbh.

No idea!

I've already replaced the hum-pot with resistors, and I have replaced the midi chip and associated capacitors. I also did the compression/presence mod. But I would still describe my amp are being darker and more compressed than what I'm hearing from the newer models.
I have owned an "old script" early 00's Silverface and have played a real deal Blueface and the new Silverface. My ranking would go like this:

1) OG Blueface: Tone wise, yes, similarities to my old script, but I felt the Blueface to have a fantastic bounce/give under the fingers. That feel, combined with the compression and punch make it an effortless and addictive amp to play!
2) Modern VH4: The most versatile of the lot. More gain on channel 2, a bit tighter/brighter and more open. This allows more range of use in both ch2 and ch4.
3) Old Script Silverface: I bought this as it was supposed to be a Blueface in a Silverface chassis. While I will concede there are some similarities in tone compared to a new VH4 (darker overall being the big one), it does not have the feel of a real Blueface nor did it seem as punchy or aggressive. I really only stuck to ch1 and ch3 as I found the light crunch of ch2 and over the top, compressed gain of ch4 to be useless for what I do.

I would be happy with a "new" VH4. It is the most versatile of the VH4's IMO. But if they re-issued a real deal Blueface? Ya, I would be interested and I think alot of players would love them!

I have owned an "old script" early 00's Silverface and have played a real deal Blueface and the new Silverface. My ranking would go like this:

1) OG Blueface: Tone wise, yes, similarities to my old script, but I felt the Blueface to have a fantastic bounce/give under the fingers. That feel, combined with the compression and punch make it an effortless and addictive amp to play!
2) Modern VH4: The most versatile of the lot. More gain on channel 2, a bit tighter/brighter and more open. This allows more range of use in both ch2 and ch4.
3) Old Script Silverface: I bought this as it was supposed to be a Blueface in a Silverface chassis. While I will concede there are some similarities in tone compared to a new VH4 (darker overall being the big one), it does not have the feel of a real Blueface nor did it seem as punchy or aggressive. I really only stuck to ch1 and ch3 as I found the light crunch of ch2 and over the top, compressed gain of ch4 to be useless for what I do.

I would be happy with a "new" VH4. It is the most versatile of the VH4's IMO. But if they re-issued a real deal Blueface? Ya, I would be interested and I think alot of players would love them!
I agree with all of this generally, but I do still prefer the most recent revision over all others. Your feedback on chan 2 and 4 on the most recent revision is dead on in my experience.

I agree with all of this generally, but I do still prefer the most recent revision over all others. Your feedback on chan 2 and 4 on the most recent revision is dead on in my experience.
You can't really go wrong with a new revision VH4. Absolutely one of the best all round amps you can get, IMO.

I have a VHX right now, which is amazing, but I like the newer model VH4's, I have been considering trading it in for one. 90% of the time I am using VH4 style settings on the VHX anyways.

If I saw Blueface in real life... Well, the amp would have to be pulled out of my hands with a tire iron only... or something heavier.
My friend had 2 OG bluefaces and the re-issue, which is essentially an old-script era VH4, circuit wise.

He sold one of his OG's last year for a stupid amount of money. His ad was actually featured on Fluff's "rediculous reverb listings" 😅

i played a blue face in a store in the 90s briefly. Only thing i remember, was that the whole showroom was shaking from the crazy lowend when you dialed the deep high.

The VHX early voicing is the supposed blueface mode. It's definitely bouncier and darker than the normal VH4 setting.
I like the bouncieness/give for low gain quite a bit (sounds and feels more organic), but i also prefer brighter for lowgain too.

I like tool as a band, but not too fond of the guitar sound. Too bloated, thick, mid heavy and fizzy at the same time.
There is a lot of Diezel trademark in there, but they can be dialed in quite different. Actually the Tool sound is the reason i holded off getting another Diezel for years.
But i am glad i changed my mind in the end

You can't really go wrong with a new revision VH4. Absolutely one of the best all round amps you can get, IMO ...

Agree, but I'm going to buy both - Blueface (first) and modern VH4 (second, because there's no problem to get one).

Agree, but I'm going to buy both - Blueface (first) and modern VH4 (second, because there's no problem to get one).
Then hopefully you get your dream of an OG reissue! :)
I would not mind a Blueface, but the price on them right now is waaaaay more than I would (or could) ever pay for an amp.

Back