Diezel VH4 Blueface

Are you interested in getting "old-script" Diezel VH4 Blueface?

• YES

• NO

Results are only viewable after voting.
Yes, an old script era silverface. I know it isn't the same as the 90's
94-96, OG Blueface, no bright switch on channel 2, 6550, 8 Preamp tubes, '97-98, Lighter Blueface, 7 preamp tubes, revoiced clean channel, added bright switch on channel 2, Silverfaces are almost identical to these amps except transformers,little twiks in the clean channel (from what I recall. They remained the same until 2005 when they changed something in the negative feedback. 2007 major changes, brighter, less compressed. 2011 they changed for KT77s due to EL34s reliability. the blueface reissue is not based from what I know to old script VH4s which are, If I recall correctly, until 2003, they are based on the same circuit used on that period. Take this with a grain of salt but there are tons of videos and you can easily ear a difference between early 2000s which have way less gain on channel 2, on channel 3 and channel 4 were almost a lead only. The 2011 have a beautiful 4th channel, usable as a rhythm too.

Last edited:
You are wrong again, man. 94-96, OG Blueface, no bright switch on channel 2, 6550, 8 Preamp tubes, '97-98, Lighter Blueface, 7 preamp tubes, revoiced clean channel, added bright switch on channel 2, Silverfaces are almost identical to these amps except transformers,little twiks in the clean channel (from what I recall. They remained the same until 2005 when they changed something in the negative feedback. 2007 major changes, brighter, less compressed. 2011 they changed for KT77s due to EL34s reliability. the blueface reissue is not based from what I know to old script VH4s which are, If I recall correctly, until 2003, they are based on the same circuit used on that period. Take this with a grain of salt but there are tons of videos and you can easily ear a difference between early 2000s which have way less gain on channel 2, on channel 3 and channel 4 were almost a lead only. The 2011 have a beautiful 4th channel, usable as a rhythm too.
If the reissue is based on a silverface from up to 2003....that would be an old script sikverface...which is exactly what I am saying dude.

I don't need videos to compare. I have compared them all in person. I owned an early 00's silverface. My friend still owns a mid 90's blueface, reissue blueface and a newer silverface (post 2007).

Yes, the old silverface SOUNDS similar to the bluefaces, I agree. And I also agree...and have stated...that ch2 has less gain and ch4 is pretty well just a lead channel. I find the revised or newer vh4's more versatile.

That said, even though the tone is similar between an old blueface and old silverface, the blueface still has a different feel to it when playing it. Huge, but still tight and clear, and with a great give or bounce under the fingers. My early 00's silverface had a stiffer feel. Very well could be the transformer differences.

If the reissue is based on a silverface from up to 2003....that would be an old script sikverface...which is exactly what I am saying dude.

I don't need videos to compare. I have compared them all in person. I owned an early 00's silverface. My friend still owns a mid 90's blueface, reissue blueface and a newer silverface (post 2007).

Yes, the old silverface SOUNDS similar to the bluefaces, I agree. And I also agree...and have stated...that ch2 has less gain and ch4 is pretty well just a lead channel. I find the revised or newer vh4's more versatile.

That said, even though the tone is similar between an old blueface and old silverface, the blueface still has a different feel to it when playing it. Huge, but still tight and clear, and with a great give or bounce under the fingers. My early 00's silverface had a stiffer feel. Very well could be the transformer differences.
What I mean is that is based on a post 2007, not pre 2007.

From the video my friend sent me, it seems his 2002 is not too compressed, do you remember this thing on your old '00?
Look these 2 videos, no -2003 sound like these.

Last edited:
I remember my old VH4 sounding darker overall and feeling more compressed than the newer VH4's.
They were darker, and this is exactly why I'm telling you the reissue is based on the newer ones not the old ones. On Lasse video, the silverface is a 2010.

Last edited:
I remember my old VH4 sounding darker overall and feeling more compressed than the newer VH4's.
Absolutely....They were definitely darker, slightly more compressed, had an overall "rounder" sounding response....More chew and less bite.

Last edited:
They were darker, and this exactly why I'm telling you the reissue is based on the newer ones not the old ones. On Lasse video, the silverface is a 2010.

I apologize, you are definitely correct. I just had a chat with my friend who owns all the Diezels (OG blueface, reissue, etc) and he said the reissue is absolutely based on the newer revisions.

I argued with him as well and he said he can pull a new VH4 and the blueface reissue out of the chassis and show me! 😅

Absolutely....They were definitely darker, slightly more compressed, had an overall "rounder" sounding response....More chew and less bite.
This is my exact experience between the two revisions. I typically like chew/bounce, but don't mind giving some of that up for better balanced top end across the amp and the better ch2 and ch4 IMO.

This is my exact experience between the two revisions. I typically like chew/bounce, but don't mind giving some of that up for better balanced top end across the amp and the better ch2 and ch4 IMO.
Absolutely, the improvements to chan 2 alone justify that trade-off in my opinion.

Last edited:
I apologize, you are definitely correct. I just had a chat with my friend who owns all the Diezels (OG blueface, reissue, etc) and he said the reissue is absolutely based on the newer revisions.

I argued with him as well and he said he can pull a new VH4 and the blueface reissue out of the chassis and show me! 😅
Don't worry man, I was pretty sure. Could you check, in case your friend will open the amp, 3-4 component's values? I'd like to compare it to mine. Thanks

I feel like if you all practiced more you could get the sound you want out of the current VH4's...

The first time I saw Tool, his Blueface took a shit on the opening song and he used the Silverface for the rest of the night... His tone was still godly.

So just experiment with the settings a little? I understand the old Bluefaces have a certain mystique to them, but frankly if you want the Adam Jones tone in a box, then you'd need an amp that blends both the Marshall Superbass/lead and his Diezel... which is honestly kind of a cool idea for a single amp. But in the mean time, just run some hot humbuckers on a 24.75" scale length guitar with 10-52's into channel 3 of the VH4, mess around with the gain and the EQ some (he loves his mids and he runs the gain as hot as possible before it gets muddy). Play it loud enough for the police to come knocking (he plays loud, like dumb dumb dumbass loud; apparently even when they practice at the loft, he plays loud). Diezel's sound great at low volumes, but they have their own way of coming alive at the stadium levels he plays at. I guarantee you if Tool started today, Jones would sound just as good with what's available to an up-and-coming musician. It's not what he's playing, it's what he hears in what he's playing.

There's an EQ for a reason, you should mess around with it more. You might even find some of that trademarked darkness if you do... ;)

If you're still craving something then make sure you're running all of your effects into the front end. He doesn't use the loops on the amps. The Marshall is responsible for the brightness, but he's been known to use an EQ for a treble boost. He uses his wah pretty frequently but he applies it subtly; he cocks it or slowly sweeps it for a lot of solo's or to create dynamics. Outside of the dual amp out-of-phase setup, imo his flanger has the largest effect on his tone. It gives it that "morphing" texture it has. Run the rate and resonance really low, and then alter to taste. He's used a lot of different settings over the years, but they've all been consistently on the subtler side.

Truthfully, I don't believe anybody has the definite guide to his tone. I don't even think he does lol. He's got such a monster tone that's been refined over decades of experimenting. He's not stopping lol. He is semi-consistent with a few things: he uses the Les Paul's (sometimes the Flying V now; essentially nice guitars with humbuckers), the modded Marshall SuperBass(SuperLead specs) + the Dual Rec during the early period or the VH4 in the latter period. But everything else? Exact settings and models get changed regularly. The third amp was a dual rec, then it was a VH4, then it was a Knucklehead, now it's a VH4. The flanger was a BF-2, now it's a BF-3. He used a Line 6 DL4, and he's used a BOSS DD.

Just experiment guys! Experiment and practice! I've always felt like instead of copying tones, you should try and create a tone that gives you the same feeling.

Last edited:
Anyway, I still want the original '96 Diezel Blueface :p :p :p
I don't think anyone is against the idea. But Diezel is a very small company. We know they're busy with orders, they're busy making the VH-Mini (or whatever the small wattage tube version of the VH4 is called), then all the rumors of other projects. But it would be nice if Diezel did something like what Mesa did with the 2C+ via the JP-2C. A "fairly-priced" Blueface reissue that's as close to the original model as can be made with modern components.

But in the meantime, Practice+Humbuckers+10-52's+Channel 3+Loud, and then fiddle with the gain and the EQ.

I don't think anyone is against the idea. But Diezel is a very small company. We know they're busy with orders, they're busy making the VH-Mini (or whatever the small wattage tube version of the VH4 is called), then all the rumors of other projects. But it would be nice if Diezel did something like what Mesa did with the 2C+ via the JP-2C. A "fairly-priced" Blueface reissue that's as close to the original model as can be made with modern components.

But in the meantime, Practice+Humbuckers+10-52's+Channel 3+Loud, and then fiddle with the gain and the EQ.
And also Adam that played the last concerts with 2 silverfaces and it sounded exactly like all the other shows 🙃

I’m pretty sure his Silverface is Blueface spec. There are lots of late 90s and very early 2000s that are still that spec.

Anyways, I have a video coming that will settle this debate :)

Spoiler: Each of these sounds totally different.

Attachments

• IMG_2133.jpeg
    IMG_2133.jpeg
    3.2 MB · Views: 33
Spoiler Alert: The video did not, in fact, settle the debate.
All I’ll say is that if you don’t think these amps are all different, you need your head examined. I’m here in the room with them now and I’m telling you, they are different amps. But the internet is a place for disagreement so here we are.

I’m pretty sure his Silverface is Blueface spec. There are lots of late 90s and very early 2000s that are still that spec.

Anyways, I have a video coming that will settle this debate :)

Spoiler: Each of these sounds totally different.
my VH4 has blueface spec. I'm wating for the video ::)

All I’ll say is that if you don’t think these amps are all different, you need your head examined. I’m here in the room with them now and I’m telling you, they are different amps. But the internet is a place for disagreement so here we are.
I’m not saying you’re wrong. It’s just that the debate won’t ever be settled unless you’re Adam Jones himself and you donate the Blueface for a comparison test. It’s one of the most contentious debates in the Diezel fan club.

Back