Diezel VH4 Blueface

Are you interested in getting "old-script" Diezel VH4 Blueface?

• YES

• NO

Results are only viewable after voting.
Thank you very much :geek:
Yeah, OG reissue would be just wonderful, actually. I'm sure there are many people outside of this forum who dream about it.

Alright, it's time for heavy artillery, then!

@Peter Diezel , sir! Could you tell us, what do you think about "Original Blueface reissue from 90's"?
You’re probably better off emailing him. He doesn’t check Rigtalk anymore as far as I’m aware.

service@diezelamplification.com

... He doesn’t check Rigtalk anymore as far as I’m aware ...

I think Peter visits this forum from time to time.

L3.png

My friend had 2 OG bluefaces and the re-issue, which is essentially an old-script era VH4, circuit wise.

He sold one of his OG's last year for a stupid amount of money. His ad was actually featured on Fluff's "rediculous reverb listings" 😅
You're wrong man, the blueface reissue is nothing more than a simple 2011 silverface but blue. But it sounds a little bit different than the older one, there's a video from Lasse Lammert comparing his 2010 silverface and his blueface reissue, the blueface is a tad honkier, the silverface a bit more scooped and rawer.

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure most of you, with a blueface in your hands, will be like This amp sounds too dark, Peter how I can do this, how I can do that. All VH4s sounds fantastic in their own way. Newer VH4 are brighter, yes, but they can sound closer to old ones, so for me there's no reason to hope in an OG reissue. Maybe for a collector's perspective ok, but soundwise you can be there with a new one. Peter said years ago that until 2005-2007 the sound was almost the same, and he was right. Perhaps some components were no longer available, so instead of using for example 3 resistor and 4 caps for an array, they changed values using 2 cap and 2 resistor which togheter had the same exact value. So if you look at the arrangements you can find a difference, but soundwise not at all. I did the same mistake when I first received my VH4, I struggled for month with the same eq until I decided to tweak the amp and use my ears and not my eyes.

1) OG Blueface: Tone wise, yes, similarities to my old script, but I felt the Blueface to have a fantastic bounce/give under the fingers. That feel, combined with the compression and punch make it an effortless and addictive amp to play!
3) Old Script Silverface: I bought this as it was supposed to be a Blueface in a Silverface chassis. While I will concede there are some similarities in tone compared to a new VH4 (darker overall being the big one), it does not have the feel of a real Blueface nor did it seem as punchy or aggressive. I really only stuck to ch1 and ch3 as I found the light crunch of ch2 and over the top, compressed gain of ch4 to be useless for what I do.

Ok, what about this?

Ok, what about this?
Are you referring to my last comment? If yes, I've never said they are EXACTLY the same, for many reasons. Different transformers, and if you are into tube amps you will know that transformers have a big impact in the overall sound, like on old Recto's (Schumacher), like on 5150s block letters etc etc. So, this thing, as Peter stated many many times, cannot be replicated. This is one of the factors why they haven't done a OG Blueface reissue yet. Other than that, components unavailability, pots taper, tolerances, so many things. I love mine, and the more I play it, the more I understand, the more I am aware that I'll never sell it for any fucking reason. Maybe I'll buy a second one :) For what concern tubes, the OG had 8 preamp tubes, V2 was for clean channel only, V8 (mono version) was a 12AT7, different powertubes, different voltages but it doesn't mean that an 8 tube layout or a 7 tube layout make a difference if you arrange all the rest to sound exactly the same. Peter is really helpful, as he has ever been, tell him what you don't like and he'll tell you what to do. Take into account that Diezel customer service is one if not the best in the world, try to call Mesa or other brands asking for a mod..they will laugh, or, worst scenario they'll never answer.

Peter said years ago that until 2005-2007 the sound was almost the same, and he was right. Perhaps some components were no longer available
Interesting. I've never read that to be honest.

For me, my 2001 VH4 isn't "dark" as such. But the low-end is quite different to that of my JVM and Dual Rectifier, for example.

Some of my friends have described it as being kind of like a fuzz pedal, and I sort of see where they're coming from. I think if you overgain the amp - especially channel 4 - it is quite easy to get an undefined tone.

The VH4 needs a bit less gain, and a bit more volume, than you would with the Dual Rectifier.

A tubescreamer, SD-1, or an EQ pedal up front, cutting away some low frequencies at the input, can work wonders.

The newer VH4's sound to me like this has been handled in the circuit somehow.

I would love to know more about the differences. Not as a criticism. Just pure amp nerdery; these are stellar lifer amps to me; which ever model you go for!

Ok, what abou

Interesting. I've never read that to be honest.

For me, my 2001 VH4 isn't "dark" as such. But the low-end is quite different to that of my JVM and Dual Rectifier, for example.

Some of my friends have described it as being kind of like a fuzz pedal, and I sort of see where they're coming from. I think if you overgain the amp - especially channel 4 - it is quite easy to get an undefined tone.

The VH4 needs a bit less gain, and a bit more volume, than you would with the Dual Rectifier.

A tubescreamer, SD-1, or an EQ pedal up front, cutting away some low frequencies at the input, can work wonders.

The newer VH4's sound to me like this has been handled in the circuit somehow.

I would love to know more about the differences. Not as a criticism. Just pure amp nerdery; these are stellar lifer amps to me; which ever model you go for!
A guy that I know bought a 2002 weeks ago, and even if it's dark, it has a good clarity, maybe less treble available but more presence than mine for sure. My VH4 which is a 2015, as I said, but some specs are not from a 2015, is darker than his VH4, and it sounds unbelievable good.

Different transformers, and if you are into tube amps you will know that transformers have a big impact in the overall sound, like on old Recto's (Schumacher), like on 5150s block letters etc etc.

Yes, that's I'm talking about. What distinguishes Blueface from the 00's VH4.

Other than that, components unavailability, pots taper, tolerances, so many things.

I don't think resistors and pots are that important. It's more about output transformers, schematics and... tube set (?). Maybe something else, but not so critical, as previous two (three?) things. If I understand correctly, of course. The capacitors are the same (pink Wima's, right?). I mean, it's still possible to make the reissue as close as possible to original... isn't it? Like new AJ's Gibsons (not Murphy lab!).

Peter is really helpful, as he has ever been

You're absolutely right! And here I tried to see, how many people want the same. And if many people find this interesting, then ask Peter to make some amps for us. If this possible. You can write to him personally, but will he make custom Blueface for one person? Of course not, and I understand that perfectly well. But if there are 20 of us? Just hope...

I'm pretty sure most of you, with a blueface in your hands, will be like This amp sounds too dark, Peter how I can do this, how I can do that.

Agree, but if someone didn't know about it. And as I can see... people know?
I'm going to take two Diezels anyway (I already have old Marshall JMP). In the case of Blueface, I do not know how to get it. Spend too much money for original? Or make a custom order for reissue? Or.. something else. Only after that - a new modern VH4, which is much easier to buy.

Yes, that's I'm talking about. What distinguishes Blueface from the 00's VH4.

I don't think resistors and pots are that important. It's more about output transformers, schematics and... tube set (?). Maybe something else, but not so critical, as previous two (three?) things. If I understand correctly, of course. The capacitors are the same (pink Wima's, right?). I mean, it's still possible to make the reissue as close as possible to original... isn't it? Like new AJ's Gibsons (not Murphy lab!).

You're absolutely right! And here I tried to see, how many people want the same. And if many people find this interesting, then ask Peter to make some amps for us. If this possible. You can write to him personally, but will he make custom Blueface for one person? Of course not, and I understand that perfectly well. But if there are 20 of us? Just hope...

Agree, but if someone didn't know about it. And as I can see... people know?
I'm going to take two Diezels anyway (I already have old Marshall JMP). In the case of Blueface, I do not know how to get it. Spend too much money for original? Or make a custom order for reissue? Or.. something else. Only after that - a new modern VH4, which is much easier to buy.
Tubes make a huge difference, for example I swapped my original KT77s in favour of 6L6s, set at 35mA as suggested and I liked it a lot, after a couple of months I set the bias at 30mA and it made the amp brighter, tighter, crispier, better sounding for my taste. So experiment, ever. I never use gain past 12-12.30, it sounds better with channel volume between 11-12.30, mids are important too but it depends on the cab you have and the speakers. I use a Diezel 4X12 FL so I never run the presence above 2 o'clock, it sounds good with deep and presence at 12 too. Play your VH4, after you have learnt his full potential, focus your attention onto what you would like to improve. I sold a cab and changed power tubes without modding the amp and it's a different amps, for the better.
P.S. there's a way to send you a pm?

Tubes make a huge difference, for example I swapped my original KT77s in favour of 6L6s, set at 35mA as suggested and I liked it a lot, after a couple of months I set the bias at 30mA and it made the amp brighter, tighter, crispier, better sounding for my taste. So experiment, ever. I never use gain past 12-12.30, it sounds better with channel volume between 11-12.30, mids are important too but it depends on the cab you have and the speakers. I use a Diezel 4X12 FL so I never run the presence above 2 o'clock, it sounds good with deep and presence at 12 too. Play your VH4, after you have learnt his full potential, focus your attention onto what you would like to improve. I sold a cab and changed power tubes without modding the amp and it's a different amps, for the better.
P.S. there's a way to send you a pm?

Wow, thank you for that information! Actually, l didn't even think that bias could make such difference. You say that your 2015 VH4 have some "not 2015 specs" - maybe this is make biggest change? Interesting to know.

Sure, feel free for PM.

I would like to continue communicating here so that other people can find useful information for themselves. Now and later.

Wow, thank you for that information! Actually, l didn't even think that bias could make such difference. You say that your 2015 VH4 have some "not 2015 specs" - maybe this is make biggest change? Interesting to know.

Sure, feel free for PM.

I would like to continue communicating here so that other people can find useful information for themselves. Now and later.
I don't know how to send a pm from here, never done.

You're wrong man, the blueface reissue is nothing more than a simple 2011 silverface but blue. But it sounds a little bit different than the older one, there's a video from Lasse Lammert comparing his 2010 silverface and his blueface reissue, the blueface is a tad honkier, the silverface a bit more scooped and rawer.
Yes, an old script era silverface. I know it isn't the same as the 90's bluefaces.

Back