New Mesa Boogie Dual Recto "RevG" Day

Don’t let the internet make you afraid of the treble knob. It’s your friend, not your foe :) If you dial it down to 0, your mid and bass knobs will be more dominant and hyperactive when you’re dialing it in. I’d personally get it up to 11:00-12:00 on the low side. Around 1:30 is probably my norm. Dialing it up a little will balance the sound and help keep the low end in check.
Ha ha. Sure thing and thanks for posting. It's probably close to 1:30 as is anyway, the Treble on '0' thing is something I do on the Quick Rod for years.

But yes, learning all the interactions and such is still a learning curve. I also did the Orange, vintage, tube mode and it was just way too loose.

Congrats! Yep, Orange/Modern is it. 34s too for me, bold/Diode.
One thing you want to be careful about with Rectos is with EL34s, bold/diode (AKA full power) can be too hot (unless you have super cold 34s). It's generally best to knock back to at least one of the mid power settings (either spongy or tube). Testing the bias here is your friend.

Personally I vacillate between bold/tube and spongy/diode as having the best feels. I also tend to run red modern if I want a more scooped feel, and orange modern if I want a more mid-forward feel. I've never found a use for vintage. I really just prefer the balls of the no negative feedback sections with a boost to tighten them back up. (aka modern on Rectos and the IIB Coliseums)

Last edited:
Don’t let the internet make you afraid of the treble knob. It’s your friend, not your foe :) If you dial it down to 0, your mid and bass knobs will be more dominant and hyperactive when you’re dialing it in. I’d personally get it up to 11:00-12:00 on the low side. Around 1:30 is probably my norm. Dialing it up a little will balance the sound and help keep the low end in check.
One trick on Rectos I like for ease if nothing else is- always dial the presence & treble knobs in parallel with each other. It's just the easy button if you're not looking to tweak all day.

Of course this does not work with channel cloning because here presence is fixed.

Can anyone help me figure out what is going on here?

dOtjwnY.jpg

Please.
What I see is the circled component got smokin' hot & discolored both adjacent components. You'd need a diagram to see where that is in the circuit to see if it's the chicken or the egg.

One thing you want to be careful about with Rectos is with EL34s, bold/diode (AKA full power) can be too hot (unless you have super cold 34s). It's generally best to knock back to at least one of the mid power settings (either spongy or tube). Testing the bias here is your friend.

Personally I vacillate between bold/tube and spongy/diode as having the best feels. I also tend to run red modern if I want a more scooped feel, and orange modern if I want a more mid-forward feel. I've never found a use for vintage. I really just prefer the balls of the no negative feedback sections with a boost to tighten them back up. (aka modern on Rectos and the IIB Coliseums)
Agreed, but strangely on my 2 Hermansson Recto’s I much prefer vintage mode and one of them doesn’t get any quieter on vintage mode, so he must’ve changed something about that

HNAD ! Now trade up to a triple ! 3X as good as your single !!!
Tempting but the Single is pretty tight - and now I'm starting to realize how tight :D

I always run spongy/silicon....how hard would it be to replace that yourself?
No, it is pretty cramped in there and I don't trust my soldering even though I have a steady hand. Looks easier in that blown up pic :LOL:

ANYONE - Is this a Boogie only repair or is there someone perhaps in the Midwest that wants to take a stab at this?

Last edited:
Temping but the Single is pretty tight - and now I'm starting to realize how tight :D

No, it is pretty cramped in there and I don't trust my soldering even though I have a steady hand. Looks easier in that blown up pic :LOL:

ANYONE - Is this a Boogie only repair or is there someone perhaps in the Midwest that wants to take a stab at this?
Where are you located?

I have a noise suppressor, Boss NS2 or whatever and my rig is pretty quiet all things considered.

I found my Shure Koko boost to be noisy but honestly, I can't remember if that was before or after all of my noise isolation efforts a few years ago.

Back