New Mesa Boogie Dual Recto "RevG" Day

311splawndude

(pic heavy warning)

Found a Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier "Rev G" at a great price so I made a 'drunk offer' and then the next day, a 'hungover apology' to wife :yes:

That's right. Can't really afford it right now as I'm in between jobs but I said what the hell. I told my beautiful wife that I would sell the Single Rectifier to help fund the Dual, and that the Dual was x2 as good. :D

Because everyone knows this amp and what it is capable of, I will spare you more of my crappy clips and the Review :LOL:

Seriously, I really do not deserve any of the amps I have, except maybe my Peavey Vypyr as that is a practice/starter amp and that is definitely where I am at. So this thread will somewhat be the opposite of @ uzeurillus1on1982 Headfirst NAD. Special thanks to: braintheory, Metal1977, BesaMoogie, saxxamafone, Zen Amps, GJgo, Bram576, Racerxrated, dave74, and Totally Rad for answering all of my noob PM questions :yes: I actually need to go back and reread all of that. There is a lot to learn. More going on then my Rectoverb.

So far I think I prefer Red Channel, Silicone diode, Bold, Gain = 2pm, Treble = '0', Presence = 2pm but then again, I've had maybe 24 minutes on it so far let alone 24 hours. I also prefer it over the Single Rectoverb although the Rectoverb is no slouch either. The Dual definitely punches harder and cuts better. Obviously, it is 100w, but I have a feeling if I pulled 2 tubes I would say the same thing. My original plan was to swap the headshells because the Rectoverb shell is much sexier and I was never a big fan of the shiny diamond plate. Anyway, those chassis are different sizes (depth) so my bad for not double checking. I may consider painting the diamond paint black later on.

$1,400 including flight case and new Mesa branded tubes so I'd say that's pretty good.

Below are some pics including side by side. It was pretty clean when I got it but a nice cleaning of tube sockets and jacks are usually in order.

Packed really well:

kDDbhnVl.jpg

uPajFxUl.jpg

OQNg2dA.jpg

ZEM4HZe.jpg

f7rzDsw.jpg

iUYSSgX.jpg

tBvrvbF.jpg

QwXB7N8.jpg

I take pictures better than I play guitar :LOL:

Last edited:
OK, I lied, here is a crappy clip if you can hang for 40 seconds

I'll work on something a little heavier later after I get it dialed in :D

I had a little trouble verifying it was a Rev G as there was no serial number but the seller was able to get a pic of the board (not the one above). This one also has a blue jewel light - but I'm not sure that matters much. I did momentarily believe that I had an "F"

mbLk9g7.jpg

xDQSyga.jpg

q3hkYDD.jpg

YOd0Avl.jpg

as you can see, I'm pretty excited :LOL:

Last edited:
Hope you dig it - I had a roadster 2x12 combo once which I believe is the same dna as the dual rectifier. That thing had such a liquid crushing lead tone and a crystal clear clean. If I was a metal guy I would have loved it. I didn’t particular dig the low to mid gain tones which is where I usually live. I do remember that you can coax so many different tones out of it by messing with the eq and they’re all interactive. If you change the each knob will have an effect that will ripple all the others. I do remember that cranking the treble increased the gain a good amount so hopefully that helps. Enjoy dialing it in!

Thanks gents!

I liked EL34s pretty well in the Rectoverb so I will def try them out in the Rev G. The switches on the back are kind of a PITA. They are on the front of the Single. And the footswitch jack (which is not a 5 pin like my Rectoverb) is on the front of the amp. I'm all screwed up right now. This coming week I will sit down with the user manual and the boogie boards and get to learning this thing.

Thanks gents!

I liked EL34s pretty well in the Rectoverb so I will def try them out in the Rev G. The switches on the back are kind of a PITA. They are on the front of the Single. And the footswitch jack (which is not a 5 pin like my Rectoverb) is on the front of the amp. I'm all screwed up right now. This coming week I will sit down with the user manual and the boogie boards and get to learning this thing.
You also have footswitch jacks on the back. I don't like the one on the front either.

Happy New Amp day! A Rev G or F recto is also on my want list at the moment. Don’t apologise for having gear that’s too good - I’ve managed to pick up some great gear over the years but, while I like to think I have taste and tone, my playing is the part that really needs time and attention 😂

Nice score!! Congrats!

Personally I like the feels in either spongy / diode or bold / tube. I tend towards bold / tube for the extra bounce the tube rectifiers give.

Orange Modern should also be explored. It locks the presence to a fixed value & is generally a little more mid-forward which is nice in the band.

My triple is from '99 and it's a killer :)

Also don't be afraid to explore different cabs. I've had great luck with Rectos & lots of different Marshall cabs.

You also have footswitch jacks on the back. I don't like the one on the front either.
Oh yeah. I saw that and meant to ask but I'll read the manual for sure after the football games. Thanks again Dave. I pulled my SD-1 off my board almost immediately after playing through it and replaced with my trusty Bad Monkey :D

Bold/diode; I personally dig the 6l6s more for rectos. Get yourself a peppers dirty tree. Switch it to tc mode, dial in the level, low, and high and enjoy! Congrats dude.
I've read that the Dirty Tree is THE boost to have for Rectos so I will try to find a used one. Thanks again Bram,

Nice score!! Congrats!

Personally I like the feels in either spongy / diode or bold / tube. I tend towards bold / tube for the extra bounce the tube rectifiers give.

Orange Modern should also be explored. It locks the presence to a fixed value & is generally a little more mid-forward which is nice in the band.

My triple is from '99 and it's a killer :)

Also don't be afraid to explore different cabs. I've had great luck with Rectos & lots of different Marshall cabs.
Thanks man. You gave me a lot of info as I was hunting this amp down and I appreciate it. It not having a serial # really concerned me. It has a shit ton more bounce than my Single even on diodes. Didn't know the presence was locked in Orange Modern. I have not even been on Orange yet :LOL: I've had literally 20 minutes on her so far. I had to wait for a new pair of rectifier tubes to come in the mail from Eurotubes, as the seller accidently broke one when putting the headshell back in. I asked him to pull the chassis and take some pics of the pcb board where the "1G" is by the caps (as you know).

Don’t let the internet make you afraid of the treble knob. It’s your friend, not your foe :) If you dial it down to 0, your mid and bass knobs will be more dominant and hyperactive when you’re dialing it in. I’d personally get it up to 11:00-12:00 on the low side. Around 1:30 is probably my norm. Dialing it up a little will balance the sound and help keep the low end in check.

Back