Keeley's Triplets Are Out

That's basically how the Klon came about, if I'm not mistaken. Or to sound like a cranked Twin at sane volume levels.
I tried an original many many years ago and hated it but I didn't know what I was doing. When I played a strat I also hated "Tin Reverbs", too clean. I liked my plexi. Now I have an ES and it kills with the Twin, the bluesman's rig of choice. The Klons and copies are a super popular circuit. maybe I should try one but the Blue Note is pretty close to what I would settle on forever in many ways. That blue keeley looks interesting but no 0v battery. I demand simplicity. I've been running that Blue Note for about 10 or 11 years, using a couple stacked for rhythm/lead into the Plexi with a strat and now a single BN with the ES and Twin. It worked well with both amps but again, I don't do the chug, more like the chunka-chunka.

I tried an original many many years ago and hated it but I didn't know what I was doing. When I played a strat I also hated "Tin Reverbs", too clean. I liked my plexi. Now I have an ES and it kills with the Twin, the bluesman's rig of choice. The Klons and copies are a super popular circuit. maybe I should try one but the Blue Note is pretty close to what I would settle on forever in many ways. That blue keeley looks interesting but no 0v battery. I demand simplicity. I've been running that Blue Note for about 10 or 11 years, using a couple stacked for rhythm/lead into the Plexi with a strat and now a single BN with the ES and Twin. It worked well with both amps but again, I don't do the chug, more like the chunka-chunka.
Same! Used to hate hate hate playing thru my grandfathers old Dual Showman. Of course, I was doing it all wrong, super low volumes with "metal" dirt boxes.

But now some of my fav tones are my Gibbys thru bf DR or Dual Showman.

Fuzz pedals, quirky as they are, work really well into a cranked bf to go from sparkling clean to chunk chunka and singing leads with just guitar volume. A fuzz followed by a treble booster is a beautiful thing into a bf fender that's pushing the power tubes.
My Explorer into a Klon into a cranked DR is seriously good blues and classic hard rock tone.
My SG into a TS into a cranked Bassman nails early EVH.
An attenuator, like the THD Hot Plate, helps tame the volume and shaves off some of the flubby lows and piercing highs.
The Blue Note is a great pedal, and the Rockett guys are great. Hung with them and Gearmandude after a guitar show long ago. Great time with those guys, and they know tone! ;)
I have an ES-335, and man that airy meaty sound with clarity is so good into whatever I play through. JD Simo kills with his ES into a fuzz into a DR. His tone was so tasty when I saw him open for Blackberry Smoke.

I think a King of Tone would suit you well. But the wait list and used prices are stupid. The Keeley Blue thing up there seems like it would get ya there, and would pair great with a Blue Note to put your dirt over the top.
Shoot, there are so many cheap pedals out there, like Mooer, Joyo, Donner, Amazon, you could spend a couple of bills and find what you dig. Then have @griff10672 build it up for you.
Of course, that means using a power supply, as most of those dont take batteries.
I understand desiring simplicity, but I don't see why you can't use a good power supply to run some pedals. In the long run, its actually more simple than keeping up with batteries. Set it up, and you're good for the long haul. Investing in a Truetone CS7 made using pedals so much better for me. Wish I had done it sooner. Now I have that and a Strymon Zuma, using on 2 different pedalboards in different locations. They offer me great sounding, clean power, with no complications. One of the best investments if you care about simplicity, tone and consistency in your setup.

But you probably shouldn't listen to me. You'll end up with 8 fuzzes, 6 overdrives, and 4 distortions, and like em all for the different things they do into a cranked Twin. I think that's where my count is now.

Same! Used to hate hate hate playing thru my grandfathers old Dual Showman. Of course, I was doing it all wrong, super low volumes with "metal" dirt boxes.

But now some of my fav tones are my Gibbys thru bf DR or Dual Showman.

Fuzz pedals, quirky as they are, work really well into a cranked bf to go from sparkling clean to chunk chunka and singing leads with just guitar volume. A fuzz followed by a treble booster is a beautiful thing into a bf fender that's pushing the power tubes.
My Explorer into a Klon into a cranked DR is seriously good blues and classic hard rock tone.
My SG into a TS into a cranked Bassman nails early EVH.
An attenuator, like the THD Hot Plate, helps tame the volume and shaves off some of the flubby lows and piercing highs.
The Blue Note is a great pedal, and the Rockett guys are great. Hung with them and Gearmandude after a guitar show long ago. Great time with those guys, and they know tone! ;)
I have an ES-335, and man that airy meaty sound with clarity is so good into whatever I play through. JD Simo kills with his ES into a fuzz into a DR. His tone was so tasty when I saw him open for Blackberry Smoke.

I think a King of Tone would suit you well. But the wait list and used prices are stupid. The Keeley Blue thing up there seems like it would get ya there, and would pair great with a Blue Note to put your dirt over the top.
Shoot, there are so many cheap pedals out there, like Mooer, Joyo, Donner, Amazon, you could spend a couple of bills and find what you dig. Then have @griff10672 build it up for you.
Of course, that means using a power supply, as most of those dont take batteries.
I understand desiring simplicity, but I don't see why you can't use a good power supply to run some pedals. In the long run, its actually more simple than keeping up with batteries. Set it up, and you're good for the long haul. Investing in a Truetone CS7 made using pedals so much better for me. Wish I had done it sooner. Now I have that and a Strymon Zuma, using on 2 different pedalboards in different locations. They offer me great sounding, clean power, with no complications. One of the best investments if you care about simplicity, tone and consistency in your setup.

But you probably shouldn't listen to me. You'll end up with 8 fuzzes, 6 overdrives, and 4 distortions, and like em all for the different things they do into a cranked Twin. I think that's where my count is now.
Great post.

Dual Showman, nice.

When I was a kid I played some classic rock. I used to use Fuzzes with the Marshall rig but found I preferred a TS. I had wah wahs, octave fuzzes, univibes w/foot control, etc. The more gigs I did the fewer pedals I hauled because they were only good for one or two songs. When everyone started using wah wah pedals I ditched that quick. When everyone started covering Hendrix I purged that off the set list. I don't like running with the herd I guess.

The KOT is out my price range. I know it's a great pedal but I'm not a wait list guy either.

I had a Bad Cat Leash attenuator for a while. I hate attenuators.

I don't use power supplies because power at the front of stage is almost non existent at every club and I don't feel like making a special power cable run just to power pedals that I don't really need. It's one more thing to worry about/carry when gigging and I need to be relaxed without gear worries. I have a Strymon Ojai and it lasted about 3 months of home use only before it failed, even giving it the kid gloves treatment. I get three or four gigs out of a 9v in a Blue Note, it's pretty battery efficient and beat out my Visual Sound J&H which I used for about ten years before that.

I used to have a Mesa Boogie V-Twin, which had some great tones but I always found the "blues" channel lacking enough gain and the red channel was bordering metal solo gain that couldn't be dialed down. No happy medium. The rack unit would've been the way to fly. The shared EQ on the pedal was jacked too cause it needed a full readjustment from blue channel to red, plus it needed a wall wart. I hate the warts. I had a nice Real Tube pedal that was a dang good unit but it had a 110 plug on it. I always say I should've kept it but I hate dealing with front of stage power that much. I hate dumb pedals taking up my stage space. I hate looking at them and having to hit switches when I'm focused on music.

I just need one unique boost/OD with a sweet sounding high end and a good tight/clean bottom end. Ultimately that is where I found my tone and the Blue Note has done that for me pretty well. For several years about 2017-2019 I just plugged straight into the Twin but I got tired of not have an OD for some of the lower volume gigs. I've had the Blue Note for a decade though so maybe it's time to look at some other stuff. I don't think I can get rid of it altogether though. It's the best OD I have owned

"Those aren't the 9 volts we're looking for."

That's basically how the Klon came about, if I'm not mistaken. Or to sound like a cranked Twin at sane volume levels.

I have a POT/Klon in a box. They can be used separately or together, with a switch that picks which is first in the chain.
I also have a real deal King of Tone. Love em both, for everything from clean boost, to light crunch od, to smooth singing leads and total rock mayhem -- with the nod going to the King of Tone, just because it's better than the POT side of my POT/Klone.
I like both of those pedals better than the Tim and Fulldrive, that have just a gain boost, vs two independent circuits that can be tweaked to work well as standalone and together.

Another option I've been using lately is the Way Huge Geisha into an amp on edge of breakup. Such a killer pedal. It's based on the Maxon SD9, but with a more useable tone knob, plenty of volume boost, and gobs of gain. Riding the guitar volume with that pedal, and sometimes nailing it with TS for tightness and leads is a blast. That would kill into a cranked Twin. There are like 4 or 5 clips of it with my EVH 78 Eruption into a BC Audio Bel Air on my YT channel if anyone wants to have a listen. It's a killer box.

Edited to say @griff10672 a Way Huge Geisha with Klone (or TS or KOT, but Klone would be my pick) in one box would be a great all in one clean boost, overdrive, distortion. Yeah, that would be pretty insane. I can think of some tweaks that would make it special.
I had a real deal King of Tone myself for a while ..... it had all the fixins too .... including the higher gain .... loved it .... but I saw what they were going for at the time and cashed in ... lol ..... I've done a few KOT clones ...... with great results ...

Now the Geisha ... I've run into that schematic before .... and I love having stacking options ... might be a future thing for me to look into ... but it will be a while for me .... I'm going to put a hold on my doing new pedals for a bit ... and try to concentrate on some half way decent vids / clips of my stuff

my version of the KOT ....
1710332660408.jpeg

1710332706695.jpeg

I'm going to put a hold on my doing new pedals for a bit ... and try to concentrate on some half way decent vids / clips of my stuff
This is a good idea. You should def have more of your work represented on youtube, I notice it's a little spartan there. It's always an endless hustle ain't it? Be doing some hustling myself tonight trying to fill the calendar now that South By So-What is gonna be wrapping up soon. Stupid festival always screws stuff up for the area musicians. Be well Wayne!

This is a good idea. You should def have more of your work represented on youtube, I notice it's a little spartan there. It's always an endless hustle ain't it? Be doing some hustling myself tonight trying to fill the calendar now that South By So-What is gonna be wrapping up soon. Stupid festival always screws stuff up for the area musicians. Be well Wayne!
finding someone to do demos for me would be a lot easier ...... it's going to be a total other hobby .... I just don't really have time for .

finding someone to do demos for me would be a lot easier ...... it's going to be a total other hobby .... I just don't really have time for .
Finding mid level touring bands to work a deal with is the way to go. Use social media. I used to build and would get bands reach out to me for deals and shit. You could easily parlay that type of situation into someone doing demos for you.

I'd like to help but I only play mainly in Central Texas so I don't have a high profile outside the area, I don't chug and that seems to be the mainstay of your purchasers, and my internet sucks. I'm also under the gun to turn out a finished record in July because it is bought and paid for with a grant so it's on someone else's dime and I have to deliver on the deal. It's kind of a once in a lifetime opportunity TBH. Perhaps after that I can get you a copy of it a and if you deem it worthy we can talk then. I like what you are doing and as a person you been super cool with me, which is rare in my world. Can;t believe you even give me the time of day, lol.

I'm not sure how he "one-upped" them. JHS came first, and they're much cheaper. :unsure:
Probably not the best term.
What I meant is Keeley took a similar concept, the same look and layout for a series of pedals, and expanded on it with addtional features and a bit extra in the looks.
You want a simple, basic effect for a good price, JHS. Want to spend a little more for a little more, Keeley.

Probably not the best term.
What I meant is Keeley took a similar concept, the same look and layout for a series of pedals, and expanded on it with addtional features and a bit extra in the looks.
You want a simple, basic effect for a good price, JHS. Want to spend a little more for a little more, Keeley.
I think the line was totally built to use those cool ass aluminum Top Hats ..... I think it's a smart play by him ...... he took four of the most highly sold pedals ... put his spin / magic to them .... kept the same footprint for all four ....and just changed the colors .... very cost efficient from a manufacturing standpoint .

I'd like to help but I only play mainly in Central Texas so I don't have a high profile outside the area, I don't chug and that seems to be the mainstay of your purchasers, and my internet sucks. I'm also under the gun to turn out a finished record in July because it is bought and paid for with a grant so it's on someone else's dime and I have to deliver on the deal. It's kind of a once in a lifetime opportunity TBH. Perhaps after that I can get you a copy of it a and if you deem it worthy we can talk then. I like what you are doing and as a person you been super cool with me, which is rare in my world. Can;t believe you even give me the time of day, lol.
I try to be cool with everyone ......... it's tough sometimes .....

The Rodent has me interested.. The Keeley setting on the JHS Bonsai is arguably the best on that pedal. The JHS is great but a bit too much. I really like an aggressive TS and still would love that with a built in clean boost that could be EQ'd with a filter of some type so I could control the girth of the boost.

But no question, these 4 in 1 pedals are a great move by Keely.

I think the line was totally built to use those cool ass aluminum Top Hats ..... I think it's a smart play by him ...... he took four of the most highly sold pedals ... put his spin / magic to them .... kept the same footprint for all four ....and just changed the colors .... very cost efficient from a manufacturing standpoint .
Those knobs are cool but.......nobody is using any of the cool old RCA knobs on their creations. Not sure if they make 'em small enough for smaller boxes but they sure look cool., cooler than the Keeleys IMO. Smooth shafts tho...

https://lovemyswitches.com/rca-style-radio-knob-1-4-smooth-shaft/

22mm=.86 inches

The Rodent has me interested.. The Keeley setting on the JHS Bonsai is arguably the best on that pedal. The JHS is great but a bit too much. I really like an aggressive TS and still would love that with a built in clean boost that could be EQ'd with a filter of some type so I could control the girth of the boost.

But no question, these 4 in 1 pedals are a great move by Keely.
It is a solid pedal and really digging the tones. The Blues kicks ass too but I think the Rodent is my favorite so far. I really need to get the Noble Screamer to finish off the pack.

Back