10+ db boost when XTC Loop is on

mrbush

Hey everyone. I usually play my XTC 101b in 4CM with the fx loop always on in serial with the master volume cranked and channel volume to taste. Lately I've been thinking that the sound I'm getting seems a bit clipped or like I'm hitting the return too hard or something. I'm usually just running chorus, delay & reverb in the loop with a tube screamer/boost in front, nothing too crazy.

I did some testing and found that even with a single pedal turned off in the loop I get an approx 10+ db increase in volume when the loop is engaged. If I back off the master volume to about 4.5 it's relatively the same volume as with the loop turned off. Does this sound normal? I guess I always thought the Master Volume on the back was to bring up the wet signal to match the dry, not the other way around. If I bring up the channel volume beyond where I need it I can back off the Master Volume to quiet it down. Is this what I should be doing?

Hey everyone. I usually play my XTC 101b in 4CM with the fx loop always on in serial with the master volume cranked and channel volume to taste. Lately I've been thinking that the sound I'm getting seems a bit clipped or like I'm hitting the return too hard or something. I'm usually just running chorus, delay & reverb in the loop with a tube screamer/boost in front, nothing too crazy.

I did some testing and found that even with a single pedal turned off in the loop I get an approx 10+ db increase in volume when the loop is engaged. If I back off the master volume to about 4.5 it's relatively the same volume as with the loop turned off. Does this sound normal? I guess I always thought the Master Volume on the back was to bring up the wet signal to match the dry, not the other way around. If I bring up the channel volume beyond where I need it I can back off the Master Volume to quiet it down. Is this what I should be doing?
I volume match the rear master with the loop on to off and keep it there for my signal chain. I then use the front channel masters as regular volume controls.

Back