16Ohm Captor X + Wizard 100W

• Thread starter Deleted member 16554
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 16554

Looking to bump my 100W Wizard up to 7 on master volume and 7-9 on Preamp volume…am I about to blow something up?

I got the master up to 5 on Friday and every time I started playing, the fan would come on…assuming that is normal

Anyone else cranking 100W heads through their Captor X?

I have also emailed Rick at Wizard and will share his feedback here!

I think around 4 is good but after that it gets too much . If it’s safe do a clip . 2 me there’s a sweet spot early . At 2-4 . I actually real dime used his wizard quiet in the studio so thst made sense

@Smashedguitaris⸸ @Techdeth something interesting I learned from Rick about this specific W800 is that it is basically a modified Vintage Classic with no provisions for modifications.

That explains to me (a wizard Noob) why I’m getting a more vintage-y sound at lower volumes.

I had the master on 5 and the preamp on 7 with full attenuation of the Torpedo through a 4x12 and it felt like it was just starting to saturate!

@Smashedguitaris⸸ @Techdeth something interesting I learned from Rick about this specific W800 is that it is basically a modified Vintage Classic with no provisions for modifications.

That explains to me (a wizard Noob) why I’m getting a more vintage-y sound at lower volumes.

I had the master on 5 and the preamp on 7 with full attenuation of the Torpedo through a 4x12 and it felt like it was just starting to saturate!
What wizard you have ?

i can tell you that if you use the captor or the speakers with lowish volume, and use line out of the wizard into a daw with a speaker ir, you are going to have some amazing tones. And I need to hear them.

Yea I’m going to mess with this setup and not push volume much farther, I trust rick and am not looking to blow anything up!

I think I’m spoiled by the ecstasy and BE-100 type gain structure. I did do some a/b-ing today and the compressed sound is just home base.

Every time I play the wizard it just feels like it wants me to crank it for power section saturation lol

So when I got the amp, obviously, @mhenson42 and @WizardSouth-JP had been ordering these pre production W800s. So I was always wondering if it was different from the later iterations. It was only when I played at Matt's house the other day, that we hooked up yours and his 50 watt into the amp/cab switcher. we switched back and forth. And You can ask him. With the contour maxed on his (which takes it out of the circuit), I literally could not tell the difference in feel or sound from his. I tried dialing in the mids a bit more on mine and he just matched on his, and It was insane.
Not only that, but his 50 watt punched just as much as the 100 watt you have. And when i played his metals, the only difference i could ascertain was the 150 watter, because it had more punch. With different transformers/powertubes/ wattages, all of them sounded the same to me. Rick has a system down that works really well.

Yea I’m going to mess with this setup and not push volume much farther, I trust rick and am not looking to blow anything up!

I think I’m spoiled by the ecstasy and BE-100 type gain structure. I did do some a/b-ing today and the compressed sound is just home base.

Every time I play the wizard it just feels like it wants me to crank it for power section saturation lol
Oh yeah. When i first played that amp, i had come from a twin jet and avenger. The lack of compression was an eye opener. The amp screamed at me every time i played it. I actually got off on it. Now I can't stand compression. lol

@Smashedguitaris⸸ @Techdeth yea getting used to non compression is going to be a process, I’m going to mess with it for a while. If the torpedo won’t let me move volume higher I’ll give the power station a shot since it’s apparently rated for higher wattage

Smashed what master/preamp volume were you guys running the amps at if you remember?

@Smashedguitaris⸸ @Techdeth yea getting used to non compression is going to be a process, I’m going to mess with it for a while. If the torpedo won’t let me move volume higher I’ll give the power station a shot since it’s apparently rated for higher wattage

Smashed what master/preamp volume were you guys running the amps at if you remember?
i always used it a 11 oclock. 4? or 1 oclock 6 at the very most for preamp gain. . Any more than that, and you are getting too much saturation for me. But i go for a dry sound.

The master, i never made it to noon (5) because i was anti compression and power amp saturation. We may play different music, but i wanted very tight metal sound. Now if you like power amp saturation, i think you are going to love that amp, because if you can turn the damn thing up irl, 11 o clock on the master should blow the damn doors off, lol.

Also, matt uses the same volume as me. Probably me and him are looking for that same area where you can get it as loud as possible without power amp saturation.

in this picture of all of some of matt's amps, his preamp seems to be set to 1 oclock (6)

Attachments

• matt's wizards.jpg
    matt's wizards.jpg
    359.3 KB · Views: 47
Back