1972 Marshall 50 Watt Super lead 12301 specs and RT mod split cathode cascade gain mod $4000.00

harddriver

Selling my 1972 Marshall that I have had since 2007. Last full year of turret board construction for Marshall. I got this from one of my best friends who I played in a band with for a couple of years in 1989/90. He owned it since 1978/79. It is a large headbox which was standard for Marshall 50 watters into 1973/74 when they switched to smaller headboxes. It had a Ken Fischer PPIMV installed in one of the input jacks when I got it, the jack was just pushed backed and never disconnected. It has the original power and output transformers, choke all have the same patina(no rust or corrosion) on the chassis or amp and he always maintained it well. He changed out the Filter caps in 1995 with new LCR's which it still has to this day. Amp was not played for two years when I got it so I reformed all the caps in the amp correctly using a variac before firing it up, it's been played every 3 months to keep the caps fresh. All the wiring is original with the original Iskras/Phiers except the V1A and the bias circuit when converted to run EL34's/6CA7's. All pots are original to the amp except the Bright/VOl 1 channel 1 Meg pot which was worn out so I replaced it. I wanted a plug and play at wall voltage amp that I didn't need to variac and this amp delivers no disappointments.

Serial Number is 5XXXD

It is a D serial number which is 1972.

Amp has the EVH 12301 specs in it minus the 50K midpot(amp is still has a 25K stock pot). V1B has a Philips Chicklet .68uf cap over a 2.7K Iskra resistor, V2A has a .68 Synergy Royal Mustard over an 820 ohm Iskra resistor since I did not have an NOS .68 Mustard on hand with long enough leads and that didn'thave peeling epoxy coatings. The Synergy sounds great though. I also replaced the .022uf PI coupling caps with .1uf NOS Mustards to give the amp a little more low end( it is not flubby at all), 100pf NOS 80's CDE silver mica cap on PI fizzy cap, NOS CDE 561pf silver mica cap on 470K mixer cap replacing the ceramic cap that was there, it still has the stock to the amp original RS silver mica 500pf cap on the tonestack. I also replaced the stock Lemco 5000pf bright cap with a NOS new Mallory. Replacing these 40+ years old ceramic caps really quieted down the amp and made it less harsh....it now is pretty much identical to my 68 Ed spec amp sound and tonewise.

Amp is 100% stock built(12301 specs) when plugging into the bright channel high or low inputs, the stock two gain stages give you from Angus to Eddie. Amp is running a matched pair of NOS Sylvania 6CA7's that measure within 5 ma's of one another at 422 DCV(I think at 120ACV) plate voltage set at 50-60% of dissipation(30 watt dissipation) 36ma and 41 ma's. V1 is a modern Tung Sol 12ax7 V2 is a NOS Sylvania 12ax7a V3 is an NOS Sylvania 12ax7a. I will be checking the bias again for 2023 and I will record everything for the buyer reference notes. Amp does have the 1 ohm 2 watt bias resistors installed on pins 1- 8 to ground so you can check the current draw of the power tubes with a multimeter set to Millivolts which directly corresponds to milliamps. Amp has a nice 19 foot grounded cord installed. The amp does have the back cover with gold mesh screen in good shape I was limited to 10 pics for the ad posting.

I loved it stock but I wanted it to sound like my 68 plexi variaced and cranked but in a plug and play and volume friendly format, the RT mod was my answer. I think I installed it in 2020. So you get a stock 12301 spec amp and a modded three gain stage RT mod in one amp using the different input jacks. They are not footswitchable.

For a more cranked plexi sound and tone and more gain I also installed the RT mod split cathode cascaded 3 gain stage mod when plugging into Volume II high or low inputs, this gives you cranked plexi gain to high gain plexi tones. Out of all the gain mods out there the RT mod is the one IMHO that retains the tone and feel of a variaced cranked plexi and I've A/B'd this enough to my 68 Ed spec to verify my claims. I will attach some clips of some RT modded Marshall, I don't have one of this amp but I will include some clips of my 1969 NOS Marshall amp that I built that had the same Ed spec components in it and it was only stock two gain stages not RT modded.

All maintenance items have been addressed with this amp it's ready to go for another 40 years. The standby switch .22uf snubber caps are CDE polyester 1000V caps, the V1A 330uf electrolytic cap is new in 2019 as well as the bias supply caps are new Sprague Atom 10uf cap replaced n 2019. Amp was again brought up on a variac to form the caps slowly and properly in 2019 when all this work was done.

Amp has a Lar/Mar PPIMV which is 100% out of the circuit when turned all the way up, I won't claim it does whisper volumes perfecty but it works well to lower the volume considerably. I have the original speaker jack that i removed for the Lar/Mar and I will supply the buyer with a full Layout of the mod which is easy to reverse if desired, but you won't want to when you hear it.

Sorry I WILL NOT ship this amp for fear of damage to the amp and tubes, too many amps getting damaged lately along with PP bullshit. I will however reimburse your fuel costs if you make the drive and buy the amp up to $200.00 which would be me cost to ship it that way I pack. If I were to spend this kind of money I would want to play the amp and have the chassis opened up for me to see it is the one in the pics before I payed this kind of money myself. I live near Bloomington Illinois so you can decide if you want to make the trip. Sorry for the large posting but I myself would want to know the entire history of an amp before I paid this amount of money so I tried to provide as much information as I could.

$4000.00 Cash deal in person, 200$ fuel reimbursement for fuel costs. I figure this gives a range of up to 500-600 miles for interested buyers and that's using my gas hog truck for a cost to miles ratio with my 35 gallon tank. If you have a more fuel efficient car even better for you! Please feel free to make a reasonable offer.

I would prefer to deal with long standing members of RT if possible. As noted I will post most relevent pics and I have many more to can email to an interested buyer. Please PM me if interested

Here's my 69 Marshall stock build but with 12301 specs/components same as in this 1972 SL

The hard rock riffs is only using a Boss SD-1 to cleanboost the amp with a duncan Custom pickup.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eyvy36RTOOM

Attachments

• DSCF3108.JPG
    DSCF3108.JPG
    619.7 KB · Views: 178
  • DSCF3104.JPG
    DSCF3104.JPG
    590.7 KB · Views: 114
  • DSCF3102.JPG
    DSCF3102.JPG
    579.9 KB · Views: 116
  • DSCF3098.JPG
    DSCF3098.JPG
    593.3 KB · Views: 109
  • DSCF3097.JPG
    DSCF3097.JPG
    575.8 KB · Views: 106
  • DSCF3096.JPG
    DSCF3096.JPG
    582 KB · Views: 107
  • DSCF3094.JPG
    DSCF3094.JPG
    588.6 KB · Views: 102
  • DSCF3093.JPG
    DSCF3093.JPG
    588.7 KB · Views: 110
  • DSCF3091.JPG
    DSCF3091.JPG
    585.4 KB · Views: 176
  • DSCF3030.JPG
    DSCF3030.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 176
Last edited:
I didn't know you were in Bloomington/Normal area. Man if I had the cash, this is the stuff of dreams.
Yeah I'm just outside of it a few miles. Are you from the area as well?

Yeah it's a great amp if you want that Angus to Eddie plexi tone from a metal panel amp. But I still will have my 68 Ed spec and my 79 Splawn 2203 to enjoy.

TTT

Yeah I'm just outside of it a few miles. Are you from the area as well?

Yeah it's a great amp if you want that Angus to Eddie plexi tone from a metal panel amp. But I still will have my 68 Ed spec and my 79 Splawn 2203 to enjoy.

TTT
I live north of STL, right outside the city

Back