1U Rack FX only unit

Demand for FX only rack units is insufficient to warrant development. Personally I prefer rack units but everything seems to be going pedals.

When we getting a 1U rack fx only unit?
It's gotten to the point that pedals are so damn expensive, that I can see people going back to rack FX. I don't even use that many pedals, but just from the ones I have demo'd in the past 2 years...it would cost me over $1500 to get the pedals I really wanted, and I don't use amps/cab sims ever. If I could get away with 1 rack unit and a controller that would be great.

It's gotten to the point that pedals are so damn expensive, that I can see people going back to rack FX. I don't even use that many pedals, but just from the ones I have demo'd in the past 2 years...it would cost me over $1500 to get the pedals I really wanted, and I don't use amps/cab sims ever. If I could get away with 1 rack unit and a controller that would be great.
I did some calculations on this myself maybe 5 years ago or so. I got an axe FX out of necessity years ago since I was living in an apartment, but when I got a house I started collecting tube amps. I use the axe FX in the loop for effects (sometimes also 4cm).

I thought about selling the axe FX and just going with pedals but I would have saved maybe $100, and also given myself the headache of no presets, much more limited routing, etc. Glad I just kept the axe FX, as I did get back into using the models as well.

But even when I wasn’t using the models, i think it’s a good deal for just the effects it has. I don’t think I could give up just the flexibility of EQ’s it has.

Throw my name in the hat... the first company to give me a good 1u rack unit with modern features like computer editor, analog dry, maybe even a relay for channel changing, will win me over. I'll buy three of them, one for each rig! I thought there were rumors that FAS was working on something like this at some point. Bummer to see it's not happening.

I find only one 1U rack modelling/fx stuff fits my needs. Digitech GSP 1101

Ist discontinued, but there are some used ones arround the web.
The four cable methode feature is excellent idea.

I’ve said this for years… a single space effects unit would be killer. I think more people would buy it if it were like $1,000.

I think the real excuse is it will cannibalize sales from the main unit. I can’t justify the full boat unit just to use the effects.

I thought a single rack unit for all effects would be cool too when I bought this MPX-1.

9loRRnL.png

I got it just before the pandemic hit and screwed up everything. It was a bargain then too. I think I spent $185 on it but I had to replace the battery which is a PITA on these because they are soldered to the PCB. I removed it and connected a battery holder in it's place to make future battery changes easy. The effects are really good but it's a bit of a learning curve to program.

I got this a few weeks ago and life got WAY EASIER.

B7rIfgh.jpg

I haven't used the rack for effects since. :thumbsup:
It's dead simple simple to use and the effects in it are excellent.

Back