27 years of guitar with nothing to show - but here's something we recorded

gurk700

Hi! I used to post a ton on this forum a decade or so ago but don't remember my login.

It's... complicated. I've been playing the guitar for 27 years on and off. I'm 39.
I've only ever had 1 band that I started when I was 19. We're still close friends with the drummer who was 16 when we played together.
We have full time jobs, lives, and live in different continents now but still write/record music over the internet periodically. We have many songs.

This song is actually 19 years old if not more. One of the first ones we wrote. It has changed a lot and this is where it's at today.
I don't know enough about recording / mixing / production to make it as good as it can be.
It's not meant to be an instrumental. But we never got around to finding a singer.
Bass by me as well. I recently picked up a bass for the first time in my life. It's fun.

Reason I'm sharing is because if I get hit by a truck tomorrow I'd love it if a few fellow musicians or wanna be's like me hear my ideas.

Thanks for listening, I do hope you find something you like in it.

EDIT: Adding gear used for those interested.
I’ve gone through a ton of gear over the years and looooove tube amps and expensive guitars but when it’s about recording, every gear I purchase had a specific fit the bill aspect, It’s a huge bonus that the overall cost is a fraction of the gear I used to own back in the day.

Guitar: Evertune factory install Fender player series Stratocaster. Bone stock. Besides the evertune bridge obviously - This was a life saver for me. I record in our basement garage that has a room in the corner that’s separated. Since I use this as a music / sometimes work office I installed a heater vent in the room. Result is a huge fluctuation in temperature from high 30s to low 70s depending if I’m using the room or not. So you can imagine my guitars go out of whack quite often. intonation and tuning is out of control. Which is a no-go for recording. Evertune solved that issue big time. I also hit the strings really hard and go out of tune often so not having that issue is bliss.

Cable: Vovox. Forget model name. I use one cable. I have no idea if it’s a gimmick or not but going all out on one cable felt justifiable. Also had this thing for I don’t even know however many years with zero issues despite regularly running over with my office chair lol. So was a good investment.

Amp: None. I’m a sellout and a convert. But honestly that should tell you more about loving convenience and inability to record high quality sound with tube amps cabs and mics than any plugin tone superiority. I just don’t love the process of tweaking and get to the creative bits. I also love the fact that I can change amps, effects, eq, etc way after the fact without having to figure out reamping etc. In short I’m lazy and the day job and hobby of cycling takes way too much time / money to commit to buying and tweaking amps nowadays!

Interface: Universal Audio Apollo x. Have 0 issues with this interface. I bought it as a venture into their amp plugins. I love the usability and simplicity so sticking with it. Also comes with Luna, which I’m sure not the best for pro producers (or is it? i have no clue) but I found it pretty easy to work with so sticking with it currently.

Plugins: Neural DSP Omega Granophyre all custom presets panned left
Neural DSP John Petrucci Archtype all custom presets panned right
I believe anything centered is the JP plugin

I might have thrown in a Neural DSP Soldano plugin too somewhere but can’t recall. Those 3 are the plugins I own.

That’s it!

Last edited:
Hi! I used to post a ton on this forum a decade or so ago but don't remember my login.

It's... complicated. I've been playing the guitar for 27 years on and off. I'm 39.
I've only ever had 1 band that I started when I was 19. We're still close friends with the drummer who was 16 when we played together.
We have full time jobs, lives, and live in different continents now but still write/record music over the internet periodically. We have many songs.

This song is actually 19 years old if not more. One of the first ones we wrote. It has changed a lot and this is where it's at today.
I don't know enough about recording / mixing / production to make it as good as it can be.
It's not meant to be an instrumental. But we never got around to finding a singer.
Bass by me as well. I recently picked up a bass for the first time in my life. It's fun.

Reason I'm sharing is because if I get hit by a truck tomorrow I'd love it if a few fellow musicians or wanna be's like me hear my ideas.

Thanks for listening, I do hope you find something you like in it.

AWESOME

Sounds great! The guitar has a great tone. Also it's cool you're still doing a song that's nearly 20 years old. It has inspired me to think back to some of mine.

Sounds great! The guitar has a great tone. Also it's cool you're still doing a song that's nearly 20 years old. It has inspired me to think back to some of mine.
Thank you! I highly recommend revisiting old material. Been doing it a lot. A lot of my stuff I found were some cool catchy ideas here and there but wasn't finessed or progressed in a way that's exciting to me today. Revisiting them and updating them has made them much better to my ears.

For example, this song I shared was literally one of my least favorites to play. But right now it's easily my favorite. All it took was a few fresh ideas.

Very cool tune man. Glad you shared it. The 'chorus parts' remind me of Mastodon and the 'verse parts' remind of RHCP. I hope you find that as a compliment :)

Tell us a little about the gear used?

Very cool tune man. Glad you shared it. The 'chorus parts' remind me of Mastodon and the 'verse parts' remind of RHCP. I hope you find that as a compliment :)

Tell us a little about the gear used?
Thank you! No offense at all.

I grew up listening to Rhcp, Muse, Incubus and some Dream Theater thrown into the mix. Nowadays mostly listen to electronic lol. I never learned to play cover songs to be completely honest but 100% sure influences come through so, great call. While I’m not very familiar with Mastodon, I’ll be sure to check it out now!

Added gear in probably too much detail to the original post.

Wow. This is a really good sound. Thanks for sharing this.

The guitar and the drums worked together, and I like that. Feels pleasant to hear.

Ahh thanks guys. I should really upload more of the stuff.
I'm also pretty fired up about looking for a singer again but it'll be very tough I imagine. I'm even open to hiring someone fiverr

One of my songs from 20 years ago got picked up for a movie . Even with the lo fi production. So you really never how song could hit someone . Get them all out and share !

Back