2nd Andy Wood

Corey James

Well, yesterday was pretty kick ass, picked up a second Andy Wood guitar and then also received a red back cabinet to go with the SLO 30.

That’s a cool day 🤙🏼

IMG_3167.jpeg
IMG_3166.jpeg

Thanks, yeah, I’ve been looking for a while and a lot of them look really muddy unfortunately. I think this one is sexy.

‘It’s a nice piece of assh’

How do you like the feel of that 24 fret telecaster?

I've been looking at those recently and I noticed that compared to a standard telecaster, the Suhr modern T design (which is what the Andy Wood sig model is) pulls the entire neck farther outside the body just a bit to provide better access to the upper frets without having to redesign the bottom horn on the telecaster body.

To me it seems like this kind of change would make playing pretty much anything above the 5th fret feel better because you wouldn't have to scrunch in your hands quite as much as you would on a standard telecaster, but does it also make you feel like you have to reach way outside your natural playing position to get over to the lowest frets for cowboy chords and stuff like that?

Last edited:
How do you like the feel of that 24 fret telecaster?

I've been looking at those recently and I noticed that compared to a standard telecaster, the Suhr modern T design (which is what the Andy Wood sig model is) pulls the entire neck farther outside the body just a bit to provide better access to the upper frets without having to redesign the bottom horn on the telecaster body.

To me it seems like this kind of change would make playing pretty much anything above the 5th fret feel better because you wouldn't have to scrunch in your hands quite as much as you would on a standard telecaster, but does it also make you feel like you have to reach way outside your natural playing position to get over to lowest frets for cowboy chords and stuff like that?
I’m not a telecaster guy and I never have been. I do have a suhr alt t that I like, but it’s still basically a telecaster and I may sell it now that I have two Andy Woods.

The guitar I designed in my profile picture (which is obviously a carved top) has been my main guitar for 20 years, I’m not currently building and I wanted stainless steel frets because I’m wearing main my guitar out. Also, I’m a gear nut like everybody else here so it’s cool to have different guitars to play.

My guitar is also 24 frets.

I have Charvel, i’ve owned three John Petrucci models, which are awesome but just have bad pick ups for my taste, I have owned a lot of PRS in the past.

I have absolutely nothing to complain about with either of the Andy Wood guitars. They are just amazing. I can play Van Halen riffs, George Lynch riffs, etc. and then I can do funky cleaner shit too and I feel at home.

I also have a pair of Suhr Moderns, growing up I was always into quilted maples flame top maples shit like that. I slightly prefer the Andy Woods over the moderns.

One of my first guitars I built with my body shape was an ash guitar with a maple neck, although it had a rosewood fret board. that guitar was always so good to play, I wish I still owned it. Someday I’ll build another one.

Anyways, the ash and the roasted maple on the Andy Woods are to die for. It’s still a telecaster body which I’m not excited about, but the guitar is my second favorite all day long behind the guitar that I built. I love them so much that that’s why I own two now, with a different pick up configurations.

Here’s a picture of serial number one from my line. It’s no wonder that I’ve gotten attached to these Andy Woods.

Image 5-4-24 at 8.14 PM.jpeg
Image 5-4-24 at 8.14 PM (1).jpeg

I’ll come back to this after work and share a demo I recorded with the Red Andy Wood and my koa Corey James with the SL 67.

@Corey James Awesome info, thanks!

I know what you mean about the telecaster not exactly being the most exciting looking thing ever, but personally I'm coming around to them more all the time. They're the kind of guitar that looks weird on a wall as an art piece, but when they're slung over your shoulder and you're actually playing it, I think they look great. You know, basically the opposite of a PRS, lol.
(hey my #1 for the past 25+ years has been a PRS Custom 22 and it's what I record everything with, including all the clips I've posted here, so I think I'm allowed to talk some trash about them)

Also there's something about the physical design of a telecaster that makes them super ergonomic to play. Like you put one in your lap or over your shoulder and it just kind of disappears. You don't have to manage it, you just think of the notes and they come out of the speaker.

Congrats again, super cool guitar.

Last edited:
Thanks.

I just realized I already uploaded this to soundcloud so this is likely a repost.
Anyway: this is front pickup of the single coil AW in one speaker and rear pickup in the other speaker. Followed by my koa CJ on the short melody line.

I'll record some kind of demo on the new AW soonish:

Last edited:
Congrats man! I've wanted one and just haven't pulled the trigger, it's such a cool guitar. I love hot-rodded teles!

Back