2nd Greco Les Paul Score this Month

Congrats! I´m not much of a LP man, but a Greco RR95K (basically a off-white custom with rosewood board and a Kahler 2200) caught my eye a while back and so far I´m digging it. These are good quality, for sure, and you can still find some nice deals on them. Sorry for the crappy pic.
zvU7ZKol.jpg

Thi
Congrats! I´m not much of a LP man, but a Greco RR95K (basically a off-white custom with rosewood board and a Kahler 2200) caught my eye a while back and so far I´m digging it. These are good quality, for sure, and you can still find some nice deals on them. Sorry for the crappy pic.
zvU7ZKol.jpg
damm, I want one of those. If you decide to sell, kee me on speed dial.

If you don't mind me asking, what did you guys pay for those ? I'd love to pick up at least one of those (or a Tokai, Burny, etc) for a decent price.

Awesome guitar, congrats.

On Greco guitars, is there a decoder ring as to the features of the different models? For example, do any of them feature larger necks such as on the 50's Les Paul's?

If you don't mind me asking, what did you guys pay for those ? I'd love to pick up at least one of those (or a Tokai, Burny, etc) for a decent price.
I paid the equivalent of around 700 dollars, not dirt cheap but I would say it was well worth it considering the quality and condition. I'm not really sure where the market actually is on these, but the Kahler pulled me in 😄

On Greco guitars, is there a decoder ring as to the features of the different models? For example, do any of them feature larger necks such as on the 50's Les Paul's?
I’ve had a few, and my experience is the late 70s/early 80s will have the 59 type neck profile or slightly bigger. The mid 80s, most are 60s slim although I’ve read the higher priced Mint collection versions can have bigger profiles. I’ve had 2 1984 Sykes, the lower priced JS55 had a slim while the JS65 had more of a 59. My old 79 EG500 also had a fatter neck. But none were huge like a 58.

Honestly if you are looking for a great LP but don’t want to spend 1500 on up for a real Gibby look no further than Greco. You can find them for 5-800 in decent shape. Easily on par with a Standard and in some cases a Custom. Great values. You’ll want one with a serial number though so you can accurately date it. Best versions are from the late 70s, EG 500 on up and the Mint collection from 82-90. Imo.

Here’s my take. Go 1980 and newer. Before that, they were pancake body and no long tenon, just like Gibson. The Super Reals and Mint Collection are mostly safe bets. You can get some rediculously high end Super reals and most of the the Mint collection are mid tier. With the mint collections, most of the 60-100 or 600 to 1000 will be very similar in spec with the exception of electronics. To me, if you going to swap electronics fo with the lower model.

Yeah, from what I gather about most Japanese production from this era the price range is mostly scaled by the hardware. Makes sense that it´s much easier for Greco and Fernandes (and other brands like that without their own production) to order 1000 of the same Les Paul from Matsumoko or Fujigen but with different hardware instead of trying to differentiate between several different tiers of actual build quality. The only thing that makes mine a RR95 instead of a RR65 is the Kahler and maybe the pickups.

Here’s my take. Go 1980 and newer. Before that, they were pancake body and no long tenon, just like Gibson. The Super Reals and Mint Collection are mostly safe bets. You can get some rediculously high end Super reals and most of the the Mint collection are mid tier. With the mint collections, most of the 60-100 or 600 to 1000 will be very similar in spec with the exception of electronics. To me, if you going to swap electronics fo with the lower model.
I love my Norlin era Gibsons with their maple necks, short tennons and Shaw pickups so...

I love my Norlin era Gibsons with their maple necks, short tennons and Shaw pickups so...
Then you should be able to find a 70s Greco for under $800 all day long. Some where heavily weight relieved so get a heavy one to be sure

P
Honestly if you are looking for a great LP but don’t want to spend 1500 on up for a real Gibby look no further than Greco. You can find them for 5-800 in decent shape. Easily on par with a Standard and in some cases a Custom. Great values. You’ll want one with a serial number though so you can accurately date it. Best versions are from the late 70s, EG 500 on up and the Mint collection from 82-90. Imo.
the new FujiGen line “FGN” looks really nice top of you want similar construction with a similar but not Gibson Headstock. Take the crapshoot out of the wear and tear 30+ year old marker and get new production.
They are reasonably priced new and can be had around 800 used

https://www.ebay.com/itm/FgN-Neo-Cl...-/265181093633?_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49286

Best Les Paul I ever played was a 79 Custom. 11s felt like 9s. Hit the floor from waist level on the headstock and didn't even go out of tune.
Bought it for $550.
Traded it for a PRS Custom 24 10 top in the 90s.
Wish I could have that one back.

Then you should be able to find a 70s Greco for under $800 all day long. Some where heavily weight relieved so get a heavy one to be sure
I had a 10.5lb 79 EG500 that growled like no other guitar I've owned, save for an 84 Charvel. Just a massive sounding guitar. Should've kept it. 450 shipped from Japan; got it in 4 business days. This was in 2018 I think.

I've been looking off and on and I can't find a Greco with that kind of flame in the top, is that a real flame maple top or a veneer ? If it's real I think you scored the only one that exists. Great score !

Best Les Paul I ever played was a 79 Custom. 11s felt like 9s. Hit the floor from waist level on the headstock and didn't even go out of tune.
Bought it for $550.
Traded it for a PRS Custom 24 10 top in the 90s.
Wish I could have that one back.
The best Les Paul I ever played was a 70s DeLuxe "clownburst" that was beat to shit, but it just had "it", like an idiot I went home to sleep on it and when I went back to the store the next day it was gone.

Back