2x12 better than 4x12 for outdoor gig?

Waldo Nova

I have both the BE-100 and a Smallbox... and a 2x12 and a 4x12 (both Friedman's). The 4x12 just doesn't get the saturation and breakup that the 2x12 gets. I have an outdoor gig coming up (loud classic rock: VH, Rush, etc.) and I'm leaning towards the 2x12. How much will being outdoors change my perception of the 4x12? What would you all use? Would you sacrifice the fatness of the 2x12 for the 4x12 (that doesn't seem to sound as robust)?

I used the 4x12 at rehearsal last night at full volume (little above 6) and it was the most glorious sound I've ever heard. Definitely a room/space issue changing the sound of the bigger cab. I don't think I will ever gig without it... as long as stage space isn't a factor.

I have both the BE-100 and a Smallbox... and a 2x12 and a 4x12 (both Friedman's). The 4x12 just doesn't get the saturation and breakup that the 2x12 gets. I have an outdoor gig coming up (loud classic rock: VH, Rush, etc.) and I'm leaning towards the 2x12. How much will being outdoors change my perception of the 4x12? What would you all use? Would you sacrifice the fatness of the 2x12 for the 4x12 (that doesn't seem to sound as robust)?
If it sounds good to YOU....then it "is good". What YOU like is the answer.

Other than polite (or otherwise) small talk, I find it little use to give people advice on something as subjective as sound. You may not like what I do and vice-versa.

Over many, many years of trial and error experimenting. I've settled on a collection of (mostly amps) amps and speakers sought after to match the favorite sounds in my head. It reduces the GAS and psychotic gear flipping to a minimum. I have sold/traded very little in several years with the exception of a trade I made earlier in the year.

Critical hearing, immediate acoustics, mind/mood of the moment, and personal bias varies person to person.

If you can, experiment and learn to trust your ears and personal judgement. In the very end, the only opinion that matters is yours.

Enjoy ;)

Where do you set the master when using the BE-100 on the 4x12? That amp is gotta be near 170 watts wide open. You running mics and in ears in the rehearsal room?

Thanks for the reply! I used the 4x12 during rehearsal the other night. I don't mic the cab and usually run the master at 6-7 (FX level 9-10). It sounded so perfect. It was the bigger room that completely enhanced the sound/projection of the cab. I should have known as I'm not a beginner, but the difference was pretty big.

Back