5150.............the studio

311splawndude

Figured it wouldn't hurt to throw this out now. 5150 Studio content.

This is the best picture of 'The Vault' that I have found. Edward's tapes that is of song ideas, lics, etc going back who knows how long.

I can only hope that some of this will see the light of day. Hoping Wolfie and Alex can get something together on this.

Does anyone have any 5150 details, pics, fun facts they want to share?

Li8aWZv.jpg

p4yIhkn.jpg

Wonder why the console is plastic wrapped? Construction?
Yes, I believe they are rehabbing the studio.

Poor kid needs to get on a serious diet before it’s too late
I can't speak to Wolfgang's specific situation but some people have thyroid issues or the like that prevent their bodies from shedding weight like that so it doesn't always have much to do with diet.

Man, if he could go through just one reel or tape a month…wow.

As for his appearance, I also don’t know his situation l, but it looks more to me like side effects/weight gain from anti-anxiety/anti-depressant meds.

He’s had to deal with a lot in his lifetime with his folks.

Maybe one day we will hear something. But did Dweezil give him back the rasta guitar? Looks like it hanging on the wall or it could be a replica. What I would love to see is photo's of all the amps,speaker cabs and guitars that EVH still owned. I know they would not all fit inside 5150. I have been told VH INC. owns a warehouse they called Strawberry Fields that is full of gear like most of Alex's drumsets and Ed's touring gear etc. I know a guy who went there with Zeke yrs ago.

Man, if he could go through just one reel or tape a month…wow.

As for his appearance, I also don’t know his situation l, but it looks more to me like side effects/weight gain from anti-anxiety/anti-depressant meds.

He’s had to deal with a lot in his lifetime with his folks.
How terrible it must have been, living with rich famous people. Poor bastard.

So someone just posted this article from an old mag maybe Studio Design and Construction? It is an interesting read for those of you who are into this kind of thing. There were a few quote that I particularly enjoyed including:

"User creativity is increased when projects can be done without studio-time restrictions and new digital reverb technology enables a variety of room sounds to be created, regardless of the actual studio size."

"After the basic shell was completed, the interior construction began. Possibly it was the daiquiris, but Ed wanted the control room to be suited on the north side of the structure. 'I want to face North while playing', he said. That was the end of that."

"Out attitude on the finish treatment was to stop the finishing work when things sounded right. There is very little finish." In addition, Ed and Valerie's 2 car garage was commandeered to become a shop, tape library, instrument storage and kitchen. The adjacent guest house also was taken to become a lounge."

"This is a functional studio; it isn't designed to be in Better Homes and Gardens."

r2C2ltZ.jpg

yn1i7hg.jpg

xZCEmXO.jpg

w6oADUb.jpg

2gqG9NK.jpg

VcZAzEE.jpg

I read in some interview with Ed that they had catalogued a lot of those tapes, but it was all housed in one ancient computer, something like a Radio Shack Tandy. When its hard drive took a dump, they took it to some serious data recovery places and no one could save it. So there it all sits. Plenty of those tapes have to be well over 30 yrs old and I'd bet not in great shape.

I read in some interview with Ed that they had catalogued a lot of those tapes, but it was all housed in one ancient computer, something like a Radio Shack Tandy. When its hard drive took a dump, they took it to some serious data recovery places and no one could save it. So there it all sits. Plenty of those tapes have to be well over 30 yrs old and I'd bet not in great shape.
I'm going to guess....

The computer housed the cataloging, not the music.
The tapes are in fine shape.
Hopeful anyway.

I’m sure we will get something in the future. Out of respect for his father. It’s musical history.

WWYD if you were his son. Might just be snippets. Not to mention that’s literally gold.

Be cool to see a whole finished recording using Ed’s tracks with Alex and maybe Sammy. One can wish.

I absolutely agree @Tone Junkie but I will say this:

- Wolfgang appears to be completely burned out on the whole topic of his dad and Van Halen in general. He has snapped pretty hard at people who bring it up.

- I'm going to guess that Alex probably has more pull over those tapes than Wolfgang does.

- I've always craved a duet instrumental album with just Alex and Ed. Maybe playing multiple parts and overdubbing but just the two of them :yes:

Back