71 Superlead - Clip

Looks like you still have the original 5000pf Lemco bright cap as well and it still has the Red dogbone 500pf caps in the tonestack and the 470K mixer resistor cap for the bright channel.

Looks like someone probably installed a PPIMV at some time in the past and somebody returned everything to stock in the PI circuit which is why the Iskra resistors are swapped out to newer carbon film in the PI as well as the .022uf Sozo coupling caps. As MGL stated for originality sake you can have NOS Mustards installed there in the PI but I probably won't sound much different but it will be up to you down the road.

You never did say....does this amp still have original power and output transformers?

man great info. Seeing those sozos where mustards should be did annoy me at first. Will likely replace them eventually.

The transformers… PT appears original. OT is interesting as it doesn’t have the typical code. I was initially thinking it was replaced but after doing a little research I’m not sure. OT100 M OT’s appear to pop up on Marshall’s going back into the late 60s. Know anything about them?

IMG_2436.jpeg

IMG_2435.jpeg

IMG_2433.jpeg

Check out Obeid Khan’s posts regarding the OT100M and OT50M:

https://www.thegearpage.net/board/index.php?threads/69-marshall-tranformer-info.1005880/

Last edited:
Ha that could be cool. Ive had really good results mixing this with a recto and Uber. I got to try a wizard when prices were more reasonable and really liked it - was a modern classic. I kept it longer than a lot of other amps.
Man that SLP sounds so damn good the first amp that popped into my head as a mixer was one of those Wizards people have been tormenting me with all week. You guys are setting a high bar here. I also finally figured out why you guys are yakking all day about vintage 30's thanks to your video.

Publicly stated that I will not stop trying Plexi and Plexi-inspired amps and I’m just living up to that. Latest and greatest is a 71 SL. All stock - couple replaced components here and there but largely untouched which was a nice surprise as I bought it without gutshots from GC.

It’s fun as shit. I’m not always in the mood for this particular sound though. If it were my only amp I’d likely get tired of it - I need to have some scooped chuggy tones available and this ain’t the amp for that. But nonetheless, I dig it. Going through a PS100. Hitting some pedal here and there for some flavor. Marshall v30s here, though I’ve really been digging a particular set of Chinese v30’s with it lately.

Did they ship it? That would have been nerve racking waiting for it, to see how they packed it and what shape it was in. It sounds absolutely phenomenal.
PT sockets look like they’ve been replaced, which is a good thing IMO.

Did they ship it? That would have been nerve racking waiting for it, to see how they packed it and what shape it was in. It sounds absolutely phenomenal.
PT sockets look like they’ve been replaced, which is a good thing IMO.
You know man I gotta say they did a pretty damn good job packing/shipping it. The manager I spoke to when buying was a solid guy and I think all credit goes to him.

That is the tits right there. My ‘71 is my favorite amp by far. Great job.
As is my 72. No pedal, with a pedal...2 pedals....not much these amps can't do...although super scoop isn't really their thing.
I still say everyone should search out one of these early 70s metal panes...still 'sort of' affordable, gets 'that' tone that's been used on thousands of recordings...I do still have an MT100 for a changeup but my 72 will never leave.

You know man I gotta say they did a pretty damn good job packing/shipping it. The manager I spoke to when buying was a solid guy and I think all credit goes to him.
It really depends on the store and crew there...the only consistent thing with packing is, when I've bought from Florida stores it's hit/miss with packing. Most other GCs do a good job in my experience.

A ‘71 is definitely one of my selling regrets. Got one on impulse from a local GC around 2004/5 for 1K. Felt too bad about the financial jump I took, not having a decent job at the time and sold it soon after for a small profit. I should have done what it took to make it work. It sounded great.

Sounds amazing, I always enjoy listening to you test drive an amp.

Regarding the scoop… we know you know your PS100 has an effects loop… would be pretty killer if you ran your eq pedal through the loop to sculpt n’ scoop it out a bit.

Sounds fantastic, Blake! Those early 70's Plexi's are monsters....really another amp I would say every player should try at least once, at volume, to really experience what it is all about!

Your 100K NFB Iskra CF resistor has been replaced with a NOS carbon comp resistor which is no big deal really and I couldn't see what impeadance leg the NFB wire is on. It should be on the 4 ohm leg of the impedance selector for 1971. In 1968 alot of the 12 series plexi's were running 47K NFB resistor on the 8 ohm leg of the impedance selectors which made them a bit cleaner sounding. Less feedback with the 100K NFB resistor on the 4 ohm legs make the amps rattier and more aggessive sounding from late 1968 into 1969 onwards but with Marshall it always depended on what they had laying around in inventory as to what got used to get amps out the door.
All the 60’s I have had, the feedback wire was always attached to the speaker jack. Never had any 70-71’s…

Your 100K NFB Iskra CF resistor has been replaced with a NOS carbon comp resistor which is no big deal really and I couldn't see what impeadance leg the NFB wire is on. It should be on the 4 ohm leg of the impedance selector for 1971. In 1968 alot of the 12 series plexi's were running 47K NFB resistor on the 8 ohm leg of the impedance selectors which made them a bit cleaner sounding. Less feedback with the 100K NFB resistor on the 4 ohm legs make the amps rattier and more aggessive sounding from late 1968 into 1969 onwards but with Marshall it always depended on what they had laying around in inventory as to what got used to get amps out the door.
You can see a greenish wire on the middle lug of the impedance selector and you can also see a greenish wire pop up thru the board at that rear side at one end of the CC NFB resistor. So it looks to be connected to the 8ohm. So @Bxlxaxkxe yours could be even a little more raw and have an even smoother transition from clean to dirty.

But it sounds amazing as is. It just means you have options for a little more or a little less NFB just by moving that connection on the impedance selector.

As is my 72. No pedal, with a pedal...2 pedals....not much these amps can't do...although super scoop isn't really their thing.
I still say everyone should search out one of these early 70s metal panes...still 'sort of' affordable, gets 'that' tone that's been used on thousands of recordings...I do still have an MT100 for a changeup but my 72 will never leave.

This. I'm impressed with a lot of new amps, but if I had the coin I'd get an old Marshall head with an old Marshall 4x12 for dirt and an old Fender Twin (or an old blackface Showman head through an old Marshall 4x12...amazing combination) for cleans and have Dave Friedman replace any old parts that need replacing to get 'em in good working order as stock amps. Then if I wanted some tweaks I'd take 'em back to Dave and let him work his magic. I've been to his shop many times and always been impressed with the sounds he creates. He's a magician of the highest order.

He let me play the Purple Wolfgang that EVH gave him through a Marshall head that he worked on through that magic 4x12 of his that a lot of people have tried to buy from him. Heaven. I've never sounded better.

This. I'm impressed with a lot of new amps, but if I had the coin I'd get an old Marshall head with an old Marshall 4x12 for dirt and an old Fender Twin (or an old blackface Showman head through an old Marshall 4x12...amazing combination) for cleans and have Dave Friedman replace any old parts that need replacing to get 'em in good working order as stock amps. Then if I wanted some tweaks I'd take 'em back to Dave and let him work his magic. I've been to his shop many times and always been impressed with the sounds he creates. He's a magician of the highest order.

He let me play the Purple Wolfgang that EVH gave him through a Marshall head that he worked on through that magic 4x12 of his that a lot of people have tried to buy from him. Heaven. I've never sounded better.
Dave is the man. Jealous you get to do that

Back