71 Superlead - Clip

Dave is the man. Jealous you get to do that

Dave's a stand up guy and one of the nicest people you'll ever meet. Very down to earth. Last time I hung out there was a little over 20 years ago at his old shop on Weddington St in North Hollywood before he started his Tone Merchants shop. I live 100 miles east of L.A. now, but I would still go to Dave for any amp work.

man great info. Seeing those sozos where mustards should be did annoy me at first. Will likely replace them eventually.

The transformers… PT appears original. OT is interesting as it doesn’t have the typical code. I was initially thinking it was replaced but after doing a little research I’m not sure. OT100 M OT’s appear to pop up on Marshall’s going back into the late 60s. Know anything about them?

View attachment 297449

View attachment 297452

View attachment 297455

Check out Obeid Khan’s posts regarding the OT100M and OT50M:

https://www.thegearpage.net/board/index.php?threads/69-marshall-tranformer-info.1005880/
The patina of the OPT end bell covers appears to match the patina on the power transformer end bell covers with a little less rust on the lamination plates so it does look original to my eyes and Obeid Khan knows his Marshall's well so chances are it is original or was the Marshall replacement in the early to mid 70's if it did blow up at one time judging by the patina. Marshall supposedly used the Dagnall C1998 Output transformers from 1968 until 1973 but some amps could have come with Drake models 1209-3 Power transformers and 1202-99 Output transformers probably due to whatever Marshall had in stock at the time.

Since yours has the Drake 1209-3 PT so more than likely it is the Drake 1202-99 Output transformer.........

Either way it does look vintage correct to the amp, I would just enjoy it unless you really want to identify whether or not it's a C1998 or a Drake model I'm sure someone can identify it correctly.

I found this information for you on the net:

Around 1968 Marshall switched to Dagnall power (T2562) and output (C1998) transformers (four EL34 tubes). From 1969 - 1973 most 100 watt Marshall amplifiers have the Dagnall transformers, although a few have the Drake 1202-99 output transformer and the Drake 1209-3 power transformer.

https://reverb.com/item/32357526-marshall-dagnall-100w-output-transformer-1971

I found this pic of a 1971 Dagnall C1998 Output Transformer there are no ID numbers on the end bells.
1711040046873.jpeg

Last edited:
The patina of the OPT end bell covers appears to match the patina on the power transformer end bell covers with a little less rust on the lamination plates so it does look original to my eyes and Obeid Khan knows his Marshall's well so chances are it is original or was the Marshall replacement in the early to mid 70's if it did blow up at one time judging by the patina. Marshall supposedly used the Dagnall C1998 Output transformers from 1968 until 1973 but some amps could have come with Drake models 1209-3 and 1202-99 probably due to if and when Marshall had the C1998 in stock.

Since yours has the Drake 1209-3 PT so more than likely it is the Drake 1202-99 Output transformer.........

Either way it does look vintage correct to the amp, I would just enjoy it unless you really want to identify whether or not it's a C1998 or a Drake model I'm sure someone can identify it correctly.

I found this information for you on the net:

Around 1968 Marshall switched to Dagnall power (T2562) and output (C1998) transformers (four EL34 tubes). From 1969 - 1973 most 100 watt Marshall amplifiers have the Dagnall transformers, although a few have the Drake 1202-99 output transformer and the Drake 1209-3 power transformer.

https://reverb.com/item/32357526-marshall-dagnall-100w-output-transformer-1971

I found this pic of a 1971 Dagnall C1998 Output Transformer there are no ID numbers on the end bells.
View attachment 297578
Good info. There are a few other Dagnall part #, used as PTs during that time like the T3556. My 72 came with a later 70s T4145, but I scored a vintage T3556 for a good price and it puts out that super high PV like 500+.....Beastly.

I just checked my '70 Super PA also with brown board. It has 500-ish volts B+. It appears to have the Drakes. But notice the PT has the copper band on top. The OT has sticker residue in about the same spot as the PT so I'm assuming also Drake.

PT
IMG-2013.jpg

IMG-2014.jpg

OT
IMG-2015.jpg

EDIT: Apparently they are Dagnall not Drake. I found this on the Marshall Forum. You'll notice in the one pic that all leads come from same side. There is speculation its just the earlier laydown PT with stand-up endbells.
I've seen those Dagnall T 2623 PT's used as early as June - July 1969.

EDIT: As early as April 23rd 1969...Plate voltage after bias is 485vdc with heaters at 6.3vac. So, safe to assume the Dagnall T2623 has the same specs as the Dagnall T2562 during this time frame.

Last edited:
Good info. There are a few other Dagnall part #, used as PTs during that time like the T3556. My 72 came with a later 70s T4145, but I scored a vintage T3556 for a good price and it puts out that super high PV like 500+.....Beastly.
I was kind of surprised actually I thought they only used the Drakes in the 50 watters in the 69-73 time frames. I always thought the Drakes started showing up in the mid to late 70's JMP 100 watters like 1977 when the JMP 2203''s hit the market I know my 1979 2203 had Drakes in it..... but according to that snippet of information it was much sooner than that.:dunno: I guess you learn something every day...........:yes:

I was kind of surprised actually I thought they only used the Drakes in the 50 watters in the 69-73 time frames. I always thought the Drakes started showing up in the mid to late 70's JMP 100 watters like 1977 when the JMP 2203''s hit the market I know my 1979 2203 had Drakes in it..... but according to that snippet of information it was much sooner than that.:dunno: I guess you learn something every day...........:yes:
Could spend a lifetime learning all this amp history.

I reached out to Obeid directly and sent him some pics. He says they’re original.

So you’ve got a 77 2203 and a 72 SL?

I’ve got an MTL I could send ya. You know the terms…:LOL:
Really trying my best to not rush my decision although I don’t think I can lose in choosing either amp. I’m a little hesitant on another wizard primarily because of the mids - I was always trying to REALLY dig in and bang those G and B strings when playing the MC to get the upper mids to pop and they just wouldn’t. I would wear picks out like a MFer. I fear the MTL would be the same if not even more difficult

Could spend a lifetime learning all this amp history.

I reached out to Obeid directly and sent him some pics. He says they’re original.

So you’ve got a 77 2203 and a 72 SL?
Yes a 79 2203, 72 50 watt SL and a 68 plexi with all NOS parts built by me. I've owned the 79 2203 since 1985. I also owned a 1970 50 watt Marshall SL. I also built a period correct 1969 Super Bass that I converted to a Super Lead with all NOS parts, it was a real screamer as well but I used the plexi NFB values so it was more 68 plexi than 69 metalface.

I figured your transformers were original, did he confirm that your output transformer was a Drake 1202-99?

I have always believed that original transformers and chokes are the most important items regarding vintage Marshall plexi's and superleads and your clip of your 71 shows that you got a good one.:2thumbsup:

Yes a 79 2203, 72 50 watt SL and a 68 plexi with all NOS parts built by me. I've owned the 79 2203 since 1985. I also owned a 1970 50 watt Marshall SL. I also built a period correct 1969 Super Bass that I converted to a Super Lead with all NOS parts, it was a real screamer as well but I used the plexi NFB values so it was more 68 plexi than 69 metalface.

I figured your transformers were original, did he confirm that your output transformer was a Drake 1202-99?

I have always believed that original transformers and chokes are the most important items regarding vintage Marshall plexi's and superleads and your clip of your 71 shows that you got a good one.:2thumbsup:
That copper band(on the PT) signifies Dagnall, no? Also, the older Dagnalls did have the small sticker on the bells like the future 50w Drakes....I always thought the older Drakes having the numbered black stamps on the tops of the bells....but, I've only had 1 plexi (67 50T); my 72 50 does have the Drake codes though, on both Trans.

Really trying my best to not rush my decision although I don’t think I can lose in choosing either amp. I’m a little hesitant on another wizard primarily because of the mids - I was always trying to REALLY dig in and bang those G and B strings when playing the MC to get the upper mids to pop and they just wouldn’t. I would wear picks out like a MFer. I fear the MTL would be the same if not even more difficult
Your suspicions are correct. The MTL has a strange tonality to it and lacks the midrange warmth that other amps have. Maybe it was intentional because it's a metal amp. I preferred the Modern Classic II when I had it. I ended up selling both in the end. Marshalls just sound better to me.

That copper band(on the PT) signifies Dagnall, no? Also, the older Dagnalls did have the small sticker on the bells like the future 50w Drakes....I always thought the older Drakes having the numbered black stamps on the tops of the bells....but, I've only had 1 plexi (67 50T); my 72 50 does have the Drake codes though, on both Trans.
I remember my 79 2203 PT had a copper band on top as well so if that designates Dagnall then it might have had a Dagnall PT but I remember seeing DE Drake stickers on them but it's been a long time. The output transformer had the Drake sticker on it for sure. I think I see a DE on top of the right side end bell in this pic below that has that copper strip on top of the laminations but some say that it is a Dagnall sticker on some.

I really miss having that Marshall archives website that had hundreds of multiple pics of every year Marshalls from private owners, I snagged alot of plexi and SL pics from that site over the years but the site is all gone now.

I found a pic of another 2203 but this is what mine looked like before Scott Splawn rebuilt it in 2003, prior to that the amp had intermittent issues that no tech could fix so I had Scott install a Dagnall PT and a Mercury Magnetics Output transformer and install his Marshall mod. The amp has been completely issue free since for over 20 years now. The only difference is my amp always ran 6550's.
1711132837897.jpeg

Last edited:
Back