80’s Lush Warm Cleans?

glpg80

What does RT say?

Craving some of that big bouncy warm lush clean sounds. Nothing I own can cop it as it’s all too surgical or blues centristic. I know a dbx160 compressor is a part of it, as is a tri chorus. But what about the warm clean source?

How I’m getting that “80s clean” tone.
DB792-D97-1-D6-A-40-C7-8-C2-F-2-DDC4-C10-A35-B.jpg

Any Fender style amp would work. I use a Synergy SYN-1 with a Fender Deluxe style module and the usual dbx160, chorus, delay and reverb. I run the Synergy in the loop of an Egnater modded Marshall.

The Dimension C Chorus really nails the overall tone. Use a compressor on your clean for extra closeness.

What about sources for clean? A lot of fender stuff sounds surgical.

Does someone make a jazz chorus preamp?

What about sources for clean? A lot of fender stuff sounds surgical.

Does someone make a jazz chorus preamp?
I have a JC120 preamp pedal, but I built it. I am not sure of any commercial units. Maybe one of the Boss modeler pedals?

What is the amp/setup? @mentoneman had the perfect rack setup in that rig rundown video he did.

Can you give an example of the tones you're after? Lots of bands/players that were not metal had some cool clean tones back then. Post Zeppelin Robert Plant, INXS, Pretenders, etc.

What is the amp/setup? @mentoneman had the perfect rack setup in that rig rundown video he did.

Can you give an example of the tones you're after? Lots of bands/players that were not metal had some cool clean tones back then. Post Zeppelin Robert Plant, INXS, Pretenders, etc.
Lush 80’s, like Def Leppard which I know was a Rockman X100 from the brilliant Tom Scholz of Boston.

I know there’s a Rockman RMS 100 pedal kinda in the works from someone.

Jazz chorus sounds too scooped in the mids and fenders sound too surgical to my ears? I know there’s a plethora of effects to drench it in but I’m really struggling on the just getting the source for the clean side of things sounding right. Nothing I have can do it.

Lush 80’s, like Def Leppard which I know was a Rockman X100 from the brilliant Tom Scholz of Boston.

I know there’s a Rockman RMS 100 pedal kinda in the works from someone.

Jazz chorus sounds too scooped in the mids and fenders sound too surgical to my ears? I know there’s a plethora of effects to drench it in but I’m really struggling on the just getting the source for the clean side of things sounding right. Nothing I have can do it.
What do you mean about Fenders sounding surgical ? Too bright ? Scooped ? Strident ? Too hifi ?

What guitar ? Speakers ?

What do you mean about Fenders sounding surgical ? Too bright ? Scooped ? Strident ? Too hifi ?

What guitar ? Speakers ?
Pretty much the questions I been asking. A Twin below 4 sounds pretty much lifeless but beyond 4 or more it starts getting juicy and very lush to my ears. The speakers will definitely make a difference in your clean tone experience.

The Mesa Studio Pre was the go to clean preamp in a rack solution, try that with a tube poweramp and a pair of those Mesa half back cabs. Doesn’t get more 80s lush than that.

The Mesa Studio Pre was the go to clean preamp in a rack solution, try that with a tube poweramp and a pair of those Mesa half back cabs. Doesn’t get more 80s lush than that.
This, I use the studio preamp for it's fantastic cleans...., hard to do much better!

This is one of my all time favorite 80's clean tones. When you dial "that" sound in, in stereo,then kick in some delay, it just kind of makes you get lost for a while. Yes, I know its dated to the 80's but that doesnt make it any less huge in the room. Its a sound that was used by so many guys that it became overkill, which is a shame.

IMG_0861.jpeg

This setup right here or a Deluxe Reverb, add a Dimension C or CE2 and some delay. Can also swap the Compressor for a Dyna Comp.

ADA MP1 SS clean, SPX 90 for chorus, and some delay/ reverb is another one.

Roland JC120, Yamaha G100-II any of them….

Back