A question about Testament's old gear Skolnick and Peterson.

timeroo

Since there's so many shred heads in here, I thought I would ask a question. Possibly my favorite lead tone ever is Alex Sklonick's tone on the older Testament albums with the solo on "electric crown" being a fine example. What neck pickup and what amps / effects was he using in those days? The solo totally sounds like a single coil but the video has him playing an Ibanez with humbucker in the neck. Also, what amps was Peterson using in those days? His rhythm tone is completely insane. Thanks

I thought they used ADA MP-1's or at least Alex did, no? I just remember Alex using his Ibanez guitars. Pretty sure the Saber's were set up "push/push" for cool splitting. Maybe he did that.

This is obviously all speculation of course.

gs_09_92_ibanez_skolnick.jpg

Found this on another site:

"From what I've read in early interviews, He used a Marshall Super Lead and ran an ADA MP-1 into the front of it and then into a `70's Marshall 4x12 loaded with reconed 25 watt Celestions. This is the rig he had for "Practice What you Preach"

What I used in the late`80's early`90's to get a classic Thrash tone was use an ADA MP-1, out, into the insturment input of an old "Green Faced" Furman PQ-3, instr. out, then into the EX loop of a JCM 800 100 watt channel switching head (modded for EL34's and used as a power amp), then into an 800 4x12 cab loaded with G12T-75's.
Nailed all the classic thrash tones to a tee!"

Mailman1971":174871ne said:
These were awesome.

Yup, those were killer...absolutely love that guitar! Speaking about the MP-1....I actually got the best tones from them running them in FRONT of amps. A smokin' home practice setup for me used to be an MP-1 into the front of my Blackface Princeton(still have it)....man it sounded GREAT!

Back