About last night….Friedman clinic, the Plex, the IR-D, and Sammy Boller.

marshallmel

So I’ll get right to it……the Plex is pretty phenomenal. It’s the main reason I went and man, I was not disappoint. He did the A/B between the BE-100 Deluxe and Plex and the similarities can be heard but the Plex just had that raw big punchy tone and it cut like crazy. The master volume is amazing as would be expected. It retained that tone down to whisper levels. Everything on 10 with no variac and no Power Station was just incredible. Winner for sure and now I’m torn between this and the Suhr SL-67.

The IR-D I didn’t even know about until last night and Dave said this was the first time it’s been out in the wild. Played that direct and it’s really good. Will probably snag one for a small travel board.

Sammy was playing a small fly rig that was the boss switcher and an IR-X. He went into the power section of a BE-100 Deluxe. Killer tone. Very humble and down to earth dude and a great player.

They also had the new guitars that are being made by Rock N Roll Relics. Sounded and felt just like the older ones. Only difference in the new ones is the position markers aren’t small and invisible like the originals. Much easier to see.

Last edited:
Sick man. Have my eye on the Plex for a gig amp. Look forward to hearing more clips once released. Not taking my 71 anywhere :ROFLMAO:
You’ll definitely be heard with that thing. Also, I don’t think you’ll be disappointed leaving your ‘71 behind because the Plex does that thing that the old Marshalls do so well. I think this and the SL-67/68 are the best renditions available.

Andy Wood will be next week’s clinic and he will be playing an SL-67 so that will help muddy the waters on my choice between the two.

Interesting... wonder if a lot of his models will get made into these tube preamp pedals. As many have mentioned, it allows you to bypass the whole Synergy front end if you like your existing power amp.

Interesting... wonder if a lot of his models will get made into these tube preamp pedals. As many have mentioned, it allows you to bypass the whole Synergy front end if you like your existing power amp.
He said he has some stuff in the works but didn’t elaborate on anything.

It was very laid back. Surprisingly sparse crowd too which is weird but good for me because I’m not a people person. 😂

Was the Plexi tight and punchy, or loose and woofy like a typical Plexi?
It depended on how loud it was. When it was everything on 10 ( I didn’t play it that loud ) it seemed like it was starting to get loose. They didn’t use any pedals or have any effects in the power station loop. It was bone dry all night and still sounded killer.

It depended on how loud it was. When it was everything on 10 ( I didn’t play it that loud ) it seemed like it was starting to get loose. They didn’t use any pedals or have any effects in the power station loop. It was bone dry all night and still sounded killer.
I hate two things. Number 1, I feel like I'll have to own this thing even though I don't need it. Number 2, I'll have to wait until my funeral to get one because everyone will want one.

I need an FX loop. Sure, you could get a powerstation and use its loop, but for the price of the 2, you might as well look at other amps.
I asked if the plexi channel on the Smallbox would get you most of the way there. Having a Smallbox I know that it will but wanted Dave’s opinion. The way he explained it was that the plexi channel on the SB was voiced kinda like his ‘68 turned up to about 5 whereas the Plex is voiced like the same amp but dimed.

I asked if the plexi channel on the Smallbox would get you most of the way there. Having a Smallbox I know that it will but wanted Dave’s opinion. The way he explained it was that the plexi channel on the SB was voiced kinda like his ‘68 turned up to about 5 whereas the Plex is voiced like the same amp but dimed.
I didn't care for the Plexi channel on the Smallbox at all. Never used it.

Sick man. Have my eye on the Plex for a gig amp. Look forward to hearing more clips once released. Not taking my 71 anywhere :ROFLMAO:
Same, I don't want to take my 1970 out into the wild. I am on the Sweetwater pre-order list for the Plex and really looking forward to checking it out. I think there will be some extra tasty jumpered tones to be had since Dave put the bright cap on the Normal channel.

Back